Old December 8, 2001, 06:22   #61
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 20:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

To me it seem to be fixed after I installed the updated version.
It was working well before the patch!
Old December 8, 2001, 07:04   #62
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 13:08
Has anyone else been having problems with Shift-P? I ran into a problem where hitting Shift-P didn't result in the worker heading for the pollution. In the middle of the next turn the problem was fixed, but after that it stopped working again.

There's more. After I gnashed my teeth and began taking care of it manually, I used Shift-C, the command for taking care of polltion. But no matter how many workers I put on a single patch, it just wouldn't clean up in one turn. Later I discovered that if I hit Shift-P instead (But while already over a patch of pollution) it would now clean up the same turn.

Anyone else run into this?

*ADDITION*

This is after the latter update, not the former.

Last edited by Setsuna; December 8, 2001 at 12:50.
Old December 8, 2001, 07:39   #63
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferdi
It was working well before the patch!
Yes, before the patch it worked. In the first patch release it didn't worked, but in the updated patch release it worked.
Old December 8, 2001, 08:40   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
IMPORTANT!

We have discovered some compatibility issues with the v1.16f patch and Windows 2000 and XP. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, please do not download or install this patch. We are working to address the issue and a 2000/XP compatible version should be posted very shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Guess I have to wait then I hope shortly means in the matter of minutes not days
Old December 8, 2001, 08:51   #65
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 10:08
Re: Civilization III v1.16f Available!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
The v1.16f patch for Civilization III is now available at www.civ3.com. Enjoy!

Jeff
Enjoy what Jeff? You guys need a patch to fix the patch. Did ANYONE ever play or look at the layout of Civ II? This is very far from a true sequel did Sid even look at the finished product? Civ 1 and civ 2 had enough in common to be related making civ 2 a GREAT sequel.
1) WHY did you remove the lighthouse wonder allowing galley's to cross oceans? What is the point of building the wonder at all. How can one explore the world without being able to cross oceans?
2) Settlers no longer show a building zone area. This was really handy to know how you are connecting to the rest of your cities borders.
3) The diplomacy screen no longers shows status of civs to one another. No peace lines, etc show up.
4) I can no longer upgrade any of my units in my current game. (It is a saved game before the patch if that is the problem!)
5) Many issues are still left unfixed. Why did you guys change all the wonders? Leonardo's workshop no longer upgrades automatically for example?
6) The different civs do not seem to place the correct importance of certain techs.

There are many more problems with the game that I am not bothering to mention. It seems what I have to say falls on deaf ears.
I am a civ 2 addict fanatic. I would not want a total copy of civ 2 with just improved graphics. I would like to see the basic GOOD THINGS NOT BROKEN in civ 2 to make it to civ 3. Not to much to ask is it? Instead a NEW Civilization series takes the place of Sid's classics. I am sorry but I am very disappointed as a player.
I expected much more from Sid and his team. I guess loosing Brian Reynolds and Tim Train really took a hugh blow on the company otherwise this release of civ 3 would be more of a sequel. Money talks for sure here not what the civ 2 gamers were expecting. Okay, now everyone is going to jump on me for posting this negative message. But it is right on the money. Any of the reviews are people who NEVER played civ 2 as many of us addicts have.

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 08:57   #66
Desert Dog
Warlord

Problems!
Quote:
Originally posted by Setsuna
Has anyone else been having problems with Shift-P? I ran into a problem where hitting Shift-P didn't result in the worker heading for the pollution. In the middle of the next turn the problem was fixed, but after that it stopped working again.

There's more. After I gnawed my teeth and began taking care of it manually, I used Shift-C, the command for taking care of polltion. But no matter how many workers I put on a single patch, it just wouldn't clean up in one turn. Later I discovered that if I hit Shift-P instead (But while already over a patch of pollution) it would now clean up the same turn.

Anyone else run into this?

*ADDITION*

This is after the latter update, not the former.
Yes I had that problem and plenty more. It is obvious that Firaxis is struggling with sub-standard programmers or something. This is the worst patch I personally have EVER seen released for any game let alone one of the most wanted games. Very sad that Sid has let down the entire Civ community!

Wait until you really check out everything else, the added problems this patch causes makes the game go into my deep drawer. I am hoping that something will be done to fix it, but I just don't think they can do it. I mean if this is an example of how they see a true sequel. Sorry but I am pissed, I paid almost $70.00 for the Le edition. Bugs galore I was patient thinking ole Sid will come through. NOPE! I have never seen a patch that made things worse. Who is testing these patches and games stoners or druggies?

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 08:59   #67
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Guess I have to wait then I hope shortly means in the matter of minutes not days
Read the news.
Old December 8, 2001, 09:08   #68
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Read the news.
Thx, I never read the news before I'm about to leave this site (don't ask me why ) and I thought the civ3.com site was updated about this...guess that's not the case
Old December 8, 2001, 09:14   #69
Desert Dog
Warlord

Right on!
Quote:
Originally posted by Vonotar
Nice to see Firaxis is keeping busy fiddling with minor aspects of the game while great big hulking bugs still exist...
Okay I am not alone! It almost seems like no one is testing or playing the game that knows the game. This is like some strange abortion of c iv 2 with promises of a fun sequel. When is this going to happen. I have been looking forward to a good sequel since 1997. Come on you guys get some better testers and some CIV 2 addicts to guide you. Forget about Call To Power 1 or 2 you seem to be copying the layout of that poor respresentation of the civ series. Some cool things about it, but civ 2 it is not. Maybe that is it, they were all playing and looking at Call To Power instead of civ 2! This PATCH is a freaking joke!

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 09:20   #70
Peets
Warlord

Local Time: 19:08
One sentence:

You can't please everyone.
They won't change the game for only 10 people.
Old December 8, 2001, 09:29   #71
Gelvan
Warlord

Local Time: 19:08
Yeah how right you are.

This game has as many bugs, and not understandable changes compared to civ2 as CTP1. It is definitely NOT as finished, as civ 1 and 2 were when they came out. Who cares about the graphics, for heavens sake!? If you want good graphics go and buy one of the AOE Sequels. CIV-ilization was a game which was so good, because it worked as it was intended. Civ2 was so good, because it had an editor (rules.txt) which was simple and which WORKED every time you used it.

But civ3 - it has many many good ideas inside, yet it's SO unfinished, no one ever seemed to have played it before it came out and I just don't understand why any Apolyton Freaks are too blind to see this matter of fact!

Everyone who plays Civilization since 1991 should be disappointed by this lack of game testing that came with civ3. It is CTP3 not Civ3 - it has as many broken/unfinished/unlogical things and as many "new" things as (maybe even LESS than) CTP. It has as many bugs as CTP. I just hope it DOESN'T have as "many" patches as CTP. Because if there is a patch each month MAYBE Civ3 will be finished by let's say summer 2002?

Until then I'll buy & play Wizardry VIII, a game which WAS playtested before it came out.
Old December 8, 2001, 09:34   #72
Desert Dog
Warlord

What Planet you from?
Quote:
Originally posted by Peets
One sentence:

You can't please everyone.
They won't change the game for only 10 people.
Look you must be blind if you think this is a step up beyond the Best Turn Based game of all time Civilization 2. This is called Civ 3 but it should be called CTP3. The ones making the suggestions for the sequel are CTP fans. That is why this so-called sequel is missing many of things that made civ 2 the sensation it was and still is.
I want this game to be fun like civ 2 was. But lets face it these guys cannot make a good patch let alone a good game. We have to wait for YET ANOTHER PATCH to fix the problems that this patch caused. I doubt seriously that civ 3 will ever live up to its namesake. I am not saying anyting that isn't true. I appreciate good programmers, but who is testing this stuff? Look there are serious issues with civ 3 aside from not being a REAL sequel. Open up your eyes and quit trying to put me down for speaking the truth!

WAKE UP FIRAXIS! Sid where the hell are you when they are programming?

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 09:54   #73
Rhysie
Warlord

Local Time: 18:08
Re: Re: Civilization III v1.16f Available!
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog

1) WHY did you remove the lighthouse wonder allowing galley's to cross oceans? What is the point of building the wonder at all. How can one explore the world without being able to cross oceans?
They removed it because it was a bug. And for your info, I didn't realise this bug existed until it was announced in the patch, because I always avoided ending my turn in ocean tiles even with the lighthouse, assuming they would sink - Yet I still placed the lighthouse as one of my priorities every game. Even with just coastal and sea tiles safe, you can usually get to the 'other' main continent (There tends to be two) without stopping in the ocean in about 80% of maps - so in the majority of games, the lighthouse can still get you to new places which you can't reach without it, and I'll still be building it because from my viewpoint it hasn't even changed.
Old December 8, 2001, 09:56   #74
Ludwig
Chieftain

Downloaded the patch.

Patch works great.

Game is done.

Thanks!

Now if they can just finish the editor to give the mod/scenario guys the tools they need to ply their craft, we're all set.

Multiplayer is optional at this point, since the people who want it the most seem to have declared themselves undying, eternal enemies of the game and haters of Firaxis, anyway. Unless Yin decides to come back, why bother - let Enigmatic God and Desert Dog pound sand.
Old December 8, 2001, 10:05   #75
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:08
If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, please do not download or install this patch.
I'm sorry, I'm a patient girl, but OMG! Now I feel like one of the freakin' Europeans.

Hello! Win98 was 3 years ago ... I've got 2 laptops and a main pc, all running XP or 2000.

ARGFYYHHGHGHGHGHGGHHGGHRRRGHGHHGHGHGHGGH!!!!!

In all of this, with all of the problems brought about with an early release, i've sat patiently and waited for a patch, believing that good after sales service by Firaxis could make up for InfoGreed.

And now I have to wait some more! ARRAHGAHGAGHAHGGHAHGAHGAGHAHGHAGHGAGHAGHAGHAGHHG.

Obviously this wont be coming out tomorrow, or in a couple of days. Now I have to play the game bugged to hell while Win98 users get to play something that's close to fixed.

Great, just great.

Maybe I should go back to Empire Earth for a couple of weeks.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 8, 2001, 10:14   #76
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Re: If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, please do not download or install this patch.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolyana
I'm sorry, I'm a patient girl, but OMG! Now I feel like one of the freakin' Europeans.

Hello! Win98 was 3 years ago ... I've got 2 laptops and a main pc, all running XP or 2000.

ARGFYYHHGHGHGHGHGGHHGGHRRRGHGHHGHGHGHGGH!!!!!

In all of this, with all of the problems brought about with an early release, i've sat patiently and waited for a patch, believing that good after sales service by Firaxis could make up for InfoGreed.

And now I have to wait some more! ARRAHGAHGAGHAHGGHAHGAHGAGHAHGHAGHGAGHAGHAGHAGHHG.

Obviously this wont be coming out tomorrow, or in a couple of days. Now I have to play the game bugged to hell while Win98 users get to play something that's close to fixed.

Great, just great.

Maybe I should go back to Empire Earth for a couple of weeks.
Apolyton has the Updated Patch. See the news.
Old December 8, 2001, 10:43   #77
Dracos
Settler

I wonder if all these apologists for this game would be saying the same thing if Microsoft was the developer and publisher of this game. Lets see, MS is evil and doesn't care about the customer because they release products that are not perfect, but certain game companies its okay to do the same thing. Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong I like this game even though its frustrating as heck playing on a large map with lots of civs because it takes so long between turns and I get tired of swordsman taking out tanks and frigates sinking battleships, but I can live with it and still play it. But these things shouldn't have cropped up in the game if there was proper testing of the game before it was released. Once again a game company rushes a product out before the holidays to make sales and then worry about fixing it until later.
Old December 8, 2001, 10:52   #78
bahoo
Chieftain

Still Slow
The patch doesn't seem to have improved the speed of the game anymore. I turned off all the unnecessary animations and it still takes just as long between turns during the AI's move, and takes just as long for my automated workers to do their thing. The strangest thing is, when I raze a city, it seems to take 15 or so seconds between clicking and it actually being razed.

I play on a huge map with 5 civs remaining on 500mhz machine with 384 ram. Am thinking of starting a new game on a standard map.

Does anyone know if turning off autosave speeds the time between turns at all?

Old December 8, 2001, 11:51   #79
Desert Dog
Warlord

Finding likewise thoughts!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gelvan
Yeah how right you are.

This game has as many bugs, and not understandable changes compared to civ2 as CTP1. It is definitely NOT as finished, as civ 1 and 2 were when they came out. Who cares about the graphics, for heavens sake!? If you want good graphics go and buy one of the AOE Sequels. CIV-ilization was a game which was so good, because it worked as it was intended. Civ2 was so good, because it had an editor (rules.txt) which was simple and which WORKED every time you used it.

But civ3 - it has many many good ideas inside, yet it's SO unfinished, no one ever seemed to have played it before it came out and I just don't understand why any Apolyton Freaks are too blind to see this matter of fact!

Everyone who plays Civilization since 1991 should be disappointed by this lack of game testing that came with civ3. It is CTP3 not Civ3 - it has as many broken/unfinished/unlogical things and as many "new" things as (maybe even LESS than) CTP. It has as many bugs as CTP. I just hope it DOESN'T have as "many" patches as CTP. Because if there is a patch each month MAYBE Civ3 will be finished by let's say summer 2002?

Until then I'll buy & play Wizardry VIII, a game which WAS playtested before it came out.
I just reinstalled civ 3 and again installed patch. Most of the trival complaints I had are gone. I had a mod in when I first installed the patch causing some wierd stuff to occur. Now the settler has the border around them for building, I did not get far enough in a game yet to see if all else is okay or still broke. I plan to make a detailed list of actual problems. Then a wishlist for my own perferences that I feel would make the game better overall.

You are the first who agrees with me that this looks more like a sequel to CTP2 then a sequel of civ 2. This is not an utterance of comaplaining either this is simple fact. The only ones who are not complaining are the CTP players. (I did not like either CTP or CTP2, fall short in enough spots to turn me off) What gets me is the stuff missing from CTP2 that was really cool. (Like first one to make it around the world gets awarded, things like that) Same for the really cool things about cic 2 missing (what about Alpha Centauri great combat & diplomacy?).

With all that said Civ 3 (aside from the name) has some real good potential. I have $70.00 and many hours into this game. I plan to try and do everything I can to help make it as fun as possible within the confines of the game. It will never be a civ 2 sequel but just maybe if we all add to the future patch list with REAL problems and issues it can be a good game. I do not want to waste my cash I am sure none of you do either. WOW! Blah blah! long post sorry!

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 17:35   #80
Jodo Kast
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:08
Biased
Can we get some unbiased impressions of the patch after playing a NEW game?

A saved game is the culmination of YEARS and TURNS that are applied to the values you see. Only a new game will show what the patch does.

And who cares what the Science Advisor says? Mine said 'Most technologically advanced' yet insisted 'we need more technology advances!'

Now this is true, my pollution was killing me and Ecology was a few turns away, but I changed the Advisor text and now it says 'Most technologically advanced' and then 'we need to study the right advances! don't listen to the military advisor.'

It's more vague but less annoying. What's with the lack of features tho? I bet the database Civ3 uses to track the game is bloated (3.5MB to save most games), and there should be a function to 'compress the database' like MS Access. Maybe not...
Old December 8, 2001, 20:54   #81
GodSpawn
Prince

I've only reached 1650 so far with the latest patch - but all is well so far. The ability to turn off a lot of the animated moves has speeded things up no end. The new popups for disorderly cities is great. The option for not having culturally-linked starting positions provides a bit more variation (I started off as the English sandwiched between China and Japan - and they're giving me grief just now!)

Also, not mentioned in the patch readme is the fact that it also fixes the problem where the sort order in the City Advisor Screen would keep changing. Now if I sort cities by production, they damn well stay sorted!

(This leads me to wonder if any other things were fixed without being in the readme.)

As far as the whiners goes: The annoying shrill sound of their grating little voices is about to drive me away to civfanatics for a while, at least. If I want to listen to that kind of thing, I'll go to a kindergarten, FFS.

Ciao!
Old December 8, 2001, 22:05   #82
Desert Dog
Warlord

Whiners?
Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
I've only reached 1650 so far with the latest patch - but all is well so far. The ability to turn off a lot of the animated moves has speeded things up no end. The new popups for disorderly cities is great. The option for not having culturally-linked starting positions provides a bit more variation (I started off as the English sandwiched between China and Japan - and they're giving me grief just now!)

Also, not mentioned in the patch readme is the fact that it also fixes the problem where the sort order in the City Advisor Screen would keep changing. Now if I sort cities by production, they damn well stay sorted!

(This leads me to wonder if any other things were fixed without being in the readme.)

As far as the whiners goes: The annoying shrill sound of their grating little voices is about to drive me away to civfanatics for a while, at least. If I want to listen to that kind of thing, I'll go to a kindergarten, FFS.

Ciao!
No whiners here dude! Just rude people like you. There are real issues with the new patch. It fixes a bunch of things but there still are many problems. I am making a list of actual bugs I have run across. Whining is not what is going on, real problems. I am 46 years old and do NOT like be referred to as whining when I am trying to see that the game is fixed. I have $70.00 into this so called sequel. Now I hope to get as much fixed before they abandoned it like the do all the games with problems. In time the word will be out that this game is loaded with bugs and the patch added to it.

Everyone should reinstall the game before applying the patch especially if you used some of the more involved mods. They seemed to cause real strange things to occur when the patch was installed without uninstalling game?

Why not be rude and just help figure out the problems. I am on my 3rd game, 2 had crashed. This one I am around 1250 AD, a settler disappeared on me for no reason for one example of a bug! Going elsewhere to leave us alone would be real cool!

Desert Dog
Old December 8, 2001, 22:54   #83
Ray K
Prince

Re: What Planet you from?
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog

I want this game to be fun like civ 2 was. But lets face it these guys cannot make a good patch let alone a good game. We have to wait for YET ANOTHER PATCH to fix the problems that this patch caused. I doubt seriously that civ 3 will ever live up to its namesake.
DOH!

You are obviously forgetting the Civ2 patch put out by Reynolds that broke something else, requiring a patch for the patch.

This stuff happens.

I was having fun with the game before the patch. Now air superiority is fixed and I can edit/fix Heroic Epic!

If this was the final patch, I'd be peeved. But it surely isn't, so I'm not.
Old December 9, 2001, 07:13   #84
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=37304