Old December 7, 2001, 17:33   #1
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Patch Report: corruption seems unchanged
Can anyone, other than communists, tell any difference in the corruption levels pre and post patch? Mine is identical. Large Chinese democracy.
Old December 7, 2001, 17:43   #2
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Do me a flavor and try a new game with the patch and the default rules. I suspect some of the new corruption fixes probably have to do with the police station and other BIC-related things which may not be being read by existing savegames (because the saves include at least some of the BIC data in them, and in this case it's the old BIC data)

Dan
Old December 7, 2001, 17:51   #3
Libertarian
King

I'd prefer to finish my current game just now, as I'm doing quite well. But I'll try a new game as soon as I've finished this one (probably next week — I take my time, and mind every detail). Thank you for your prompt and courteous response.
Old December 7, 2001, 17:58   #4
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Hmmm...
I'm not bothered by the corruption thing (I try to avoid running large empires for boredom reasons), but I believe there are now some features in the editor that will let you tweak corruption to how you see fit. So, you can adjust corruption to allow for as large or small an empire you think players should be able to run.
Old December 7, 2001, 18:12   #5
Xeinth
Settler

Local Time: 18:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Do me a flavor and try a new game with the patch and the default rules. I suspect some of the new corruption fixes probably have to do with the police station and other BIC-related things which may not be being read by existing savegames (because the saves include at least some of the BIC data in them, and in this case it's the old BIC data)

Dan
Dan,

So do Police Stations reduce corruption now?

X
Old December 7, 2001, 19:09   #6
fikrii
Settler

Local Time: 18:09
Hmmm, I think there IS some reduction in corruption.

In one of my pre-patch saved games (Democracy, 25+ cities), corruption went down from some 200+ to 150+.

It didn't show up at first though, I had to go through every city's screen, and do some maximizing (click on city center).

It fixed the corruption. A city that was producing 1 shield out of some 20, went to about 50% corruption.

Still high, but, oh well....

That's my experience w/ corruption, but now the game is A LOT harder (40 turns max for science really slow things down, and now I can't ask the AI for all of its tech when asking for peace, it gives a partial list of AI tech).

May be they thought that b/c corruption is lower, to balance out on science they need to make it more expensive?

By the way, I always play Emperor level, and am getting sick of this game.
Old December 7, 2001, 20:23   #7
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:09
Corruption changes
At least comparing the civ3mod.bic files pre- and post-patch, here is the sum total of the editor-viewable corruption changes:

A) Police stations now reduce corruption; and

B) Tiny and Small maps have a slightly larger "ideal civ size" stat, tiny from 8 to 12, small from 12 to 14. Standard maps and up were not changed in this regard (16, 24, 32 respectively).

I also noticed when checking this out that the tech rates were tweaked now also:

Size Pre Post
Tiny 80 60
Small 100 90
Std. 120 120
Large 160 180
Huge 200 240

Overall you'll be able to tech slightly faster on smaller map sizes and slightly slower on larger map sizes.

There may be other changes related to corruption not viewable with the editor, such as internal changes to what "minimal" vs. "rampant" means making democracy more attractive, or which are in the editor but I missed, of course.