Old December 7, 2001, 18:09   #1
jadlakha
Warlord

Local Time: 18:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Patch Made My Civ Iii Not Work Anymore!!!!!!

I am incredibly ticked off right now, my Civ III no longer works after I installed the patch. The game ran fine before I installed the patch. Now with the patch everytime I try to run the game it keeps telling me to insert the CD into my cd drive, even though I inserted the cd and the cd lights are blinking. The game doesnt run through autorun or me double clicking on the icon. It always asks me to insert the cd, even though the CD is inserted. I tried both my cd drives, same problem. I would love a solution right now cause I havent played Civ III in a few days and I want to get back to playing soon.

My Specs:
Windows Millenium
Phillips cd burner drive 8x4x32x
DVD Rom 12x/40x drive
Atholon 900mhz
768mb pc133 ram.
Old December 7, 2001, 18:25   #2
Lemming
Settler

Local Time: 19:09
u do have a legal copy, do u?
Old December 7, 2001, 18:26   #3
jadlakha
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemming
u do have a legal copy, do u?
YES I GOT A LEGAL COPY!!!!! I PAID $50 FOR THE GAME FROM BEST BUY!!!!! AND NOW MY $50 PURCHASE NO LONGER WORKS!!!!!!!!
Old December 7, 2001, 18:37   #4
species_8472
Settler

Same here. Hey hackers come up with a work around. Please! I guess i'll uninstall/reinstall and live with the bugs a little longer.
Old December 7, 2001, 18:43   #5
barefootbadass
Prince

He's right, the patch does not work. It cannot find the CD with either autorun or the exe file. The cd is accessed and all that too like normal before saying it can't find it.

What a pathetic patch. They should have at least tested the patch with the normal game that you have to have the cd with. I know they probably have their own version that has all the data on a hard drive for their own convience but this is pathetic and negligent.

I guess I'll go reinstall the initial game but please, Firaxis, fix this and get a minor patch to take care of only this out FAST. Or tell us why this is happening how what we can do to make it work while we wait on the patch.
Old December 7, 2001, 18:58   #6
barefootbadass
Prince

Sorry, Firaxis, I just figured out the problem(at least for me) I have some drive that is hotswappable and therefore sometimes the letters are different. Anyway, go to the registry editor and check what drive civ III searches for the cd, mine was different from where the cd was. Change this value and voila!
Old December 7, 2001, 19:07   #7
species_8472
Settler

I did a complete reinstall. This time I used the default path for install.
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III" Then patched it. Don't know if it was the path or the new install fixing the registry but it's working now.
Old December 7, 2001, 19:22   #8
samsmithnz
Chieftain

THis doesn't work on my computer either. (I have the offical version with a Creative labs Infra52X AudioXCel CD Rom.

Kind of frustrated...
Old December 7, 2001, 19:29   #9
Tomsawyer
Settler

I too had the No CD mixup. After thinking a bit I went into RegEdit (Win98SE) and changed the drive letter. Turns out somehow the game was trying to find it on my burner and not the main cd rom reader. Something is just fishy about having to modify a patch just to get it to work though.....
Old December 7, 2001, 19:37   #10
samsmithnz
Chieftain

I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and reapplyed the patch and it now seems to work....

IT was trying to check my Cd burner instead of my real cd rom as well............

Weird patch. At least it's worknig for me now!
Old December 7, 2001, 19:39   #11
Tomsawyer
Settler

Ok nix on my last post. I just rebooted my machine and now it can not find the CD again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a generic 52X cd rom reader in my system and before the patch it was fine, now nothing. I am going to unistall it yet again and allow it to install along the default path. Someone needs to look into this, I know there are burned copies out there but that is no reason to torment those of us with copies we saved our pennies for!
Old December 7, 2001, 19:45   #12
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Local Time: 13:09
Oh my Gawd...
This is so hilarious... !

I mean, I'm sorry for the frustration everyone is feeling but ... WOW.
Old December 8, 2001, 01:42   #13
jadlakha
Warlord

Re: Oh my Gawd...
Quote:
Originally posted by Frugal_Gourmet
This is so hilarious... !

I mean, I'm sorry for the frustration everyone is feeling but ... WOW.
I dont see the humor.
Old December 8, 2001, 02:05   #14
jadlakha
Warlord

Reinstalling and reapplying patch did not work. I also checked reg edit and the right drive is selected. So now I am outta ideas. Please some1 help cause I really want to get back to playing Civ III.
Old December 8, 2001, 07:49   #15
CBH
Warlord

If you have an automatic virus checker running in the background, disable it and try running the game. Worked for me.
Old December 8, 2001, 07:54   #16
Downer
Settler

strange..i'm getting the same error, course i have 2 cdroms(one a burner) but I've checked regedit and it seems fine, maybe its because i'm running xp?
Old December 8, 2001, 08:11   #17
KloePoek
Settler

i have the same problem... i had it before the patch too, so i had to dl a crack for it eventually (YES I HAVE THE LEGAL VERSION! )

but now i can't play anymore
Old December 8, 2001, 19:19   #18
jadlakha
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CBH
If you have an automatic virus checker running in the background, disable it and try running the game. Worked for me.
I went through and disabled all the background programs that were not needed to use windows through ctrl+alt+delete. Same problem, didnt work at all. This is a major issue and I would wish that firaxis would bother to adress it.
Old December 8, 2001, 19:29   #19
Ralf
King

Uninstall game + patch.
Reinstall game + patch.
Dont play old saved games after that. Start a new game instead.
Still problems?
Old December 8, 2001, 19:55   #20
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm sorry, but this was totally expected, when the patch came out, I was hesitate to download it, I knew it would cause more problems than fix them, so I just have to laugh at this. It's just so typical.

Here's my solution: Format,

The worlds computer retailers, sellers, marketers, etc, need to sign a world pact saying they will not allow any Microsoft products on any of the computers they sell, and they must not sell any Microsoft Products on and off the shelf.
The OS they should install should be either Linux, or have Apple take over the PC world and let PC's use OSX and future OS's.

THEN and only THEN we can get back to the good old days and play proper and well built games.

I'm SERIOUS
Old December 8, 2001, 20:09   #21
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 13:09
welll
add me to the list of folks now getting constant crashes with the patch...

no reason, just various types of illegal operations and crash to desktop events
Old December 8, 2001, 20:19   #22
Saber_Cherry
Settler

I didn't install the path because it sounds like a hurried, QA-free hackjob (kind of like CIV III...). But I just wanted to respond to this:

The worlds computer retailers, sellers, marketers, etc, need to sign a world pact saying they will not allow any Microsoft products on any of the computers they sell, and they must not sell any Microsoft Products on and off the shelf.

My last computer, a standard Gateway 2000, came with some much crap pre-installed that loaded on startup it would hardly run. So I reformatted the hard drive. I installed Windows 95 off Gateway's disk. It booted up. I installed Office 97 off Gateway's disk. The machine would no longer boot, only giving a general protection fault. Microsoft is incompatible with itself =)

(turns out the problem was that the Office install put some stupid, unneeded lines in autoexec.bat and config.sys that made win95 unable to boot. But talk about poor QA...)
Old December 8, 2001, 21:21   #23
GodSpawn
Prince

Quote:
The OS they should install should be either Linux, or have Apple take over the PC world and let PC's use OSX and future OS's.
Excuse me, but: bleurgh! OSX? Don't make me laugh!
Old December 9, 2001, 00:37   #24
jadlakha
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Uninstall game + patch.
Reinstall game + patch.
Dont play old saved games after that. Start a new game instead.
Still problems?
I SAID I ALREADY TRIED THIS!!!!! Maybe should read these threads before you show us all your ignorance. And if you read the thread you'd also realise with this problem we couldnt attempt to load our old save games anyways since our comps arent reading our Civ III cds so we cant get the game to run. Please read the whole thread before replying for goodness sakes.
Old December 9, 2001, 00:43   #25
jadlakha
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber_Cherry
I didn't install the path because it sounds like a hurried, QA-free hackjob (kind of like CIV III...). But I just wanted to respond to this:

My last computer, a standard Gateway 2000, came with some much crap pre-installed that loaded on startup it would hardly run. So I reformatted the hard drive. I installed Windows 95 off Gateway's disk. It booted up. I installed Office 97 off Gateway's disk. The machine would no longer boot, only giving a general protection fault. Microsoft is incompatible with itself =)

(turns out the problem was that the Office install put some stupid, unneeded lines in autoexec.bat and config.sys that made win95 unable to boot. But talk about poor QA...)
You'll are getting off topic, but the preinstalled crap that loads up at startup isnt my problem either, since I built my own computer from scratch so thats not my problem. But Firaxis or InfroGames or whoever needs to solve this problem quickly. I really love CivIII and would like to get back to playing it.
Old December 9, 2001, 05:32   #26
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jadlakha
I SAID I ALREADY TRIED THIS!!!!! Maybe should read these threads before you show us all your ignorance.
Bad tempered and grumpy as ever, eh?
Well, in that case it serves you right that you have big problems while my game works perfectly.
Old December 9, 2001, 05:54   #27
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

Bad tempered and grumpy as ever, eh?
Well, in that case it serves you right that you have big problems while my game works perfectly.
LOL you tell him ralf
Old December 9, 2001, 11:10   #28
herwin
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn

Excuse me, but: bleurgh! OSX? Don't make me laugh!
Why do you say that? OSX is BSD UNIX with an extremely nice user interface. I can run old-style UNIX terminal windows, the Aqua version, Mac classic, and Windows sessions simultaneously. How do you think I play Civ3? MS Office X.v makes the Windows versions of Office look ancient, and if something dies, the system just keeps trucking along. Apple seems to have pulled it off.
Old December 9, 2001, 12:21   #29
Akka
Prince

I would advise you to wait and use the no-CD patches.
Since Diablo 2, it's nearly constant that honnest buyer of games have a harder time running their games that hackers.
I personnally nearly never uses the original CD I buy, often I just buy the game, then put it on my shelves and DL the warez version. Work better, smoother, and does not destroy my CD driver. Most of the people won't bother to buy the original games though. And I must admit I start to consider to only buy non-protected software, like BG2, that allow to make backup copies and do not are a pain in the ass to run.
Or "how the companies increase piracy trying to reduce it".
Old December 9, 2001, 14:10   #30
Jodo Kast
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:09
It works fine
Read the posts and you'll see: If you bought the game the patch works, just uninstall and reinstall.

Most system configs are different, so this fixes it. If you have an illegal NOCD copy, then tough luck.

But you knew that.