Old December 7, 2001, 22:27   #1
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 18:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New v1.16f
Hey guys. Turns out the install grabbed the wrong exe. I've sent the patch to DanQ and MarkG so they can make it available for you (I'd attach it myself, but the 500k cap won't let me). We'll be pounding on it all night, so if you find any problems, please email me directly at jmorris@firaxis.com.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old December 7, 2001, 22:37   #2
Asharak
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:10
Thanks!
Thanks, Jeff! And can at least one person (ie, me) say he likes the product you guys have created? He can? Well, he just did.

Again, thanks for all your hard work, and I'll be sure to send you a copy of my transcript when I fail the rest of my exams due to excessive playing of Civ3...
Old December 7, 2001, 22:54   #3
Rhaido
Settler

Local Time: 19:10
Thank you very much for the quick response. It´s very good when a problem appears that it´s so fast the solution.

And taking use of the oportunity, congratulations for the game. It´s excellent, and when you finish with the problems (i.e. the start locations) we´ll have a classic as Civ1 and 2 are.
Old December 7, 2001, 22:56   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 11:10
Come on Mark and/or Dan, lets get on top of things now and make the patch available for download.

Jeff, I would greatly appreciate it if you or anybody else from Firaxis could give us some feeback pertaining to the topic of 'desires for future Civ3 patches' in this thread. Since you seem to be tied up right now I don't except you to do it tonight, however I would like you to be able to give feedback in that thread sometime over the weekend.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old December 7, 2001, 23:03   #5
KWPulliam
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Now I'm off to find the New Patch (of the same version #)

Hmm That's gonna cause some confusion... Oh well, better to be confused with a solution within reach than frustrated with no solution

Kevin
Old December 7, 2001, 23:04   #6
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Webspace anyone?
Since neither DanQ nor MarkG seem to be around at this time (of day? of night? whatever the time zone), is there anybody who has some free space on their web site to post the patch? At least until it is up here or anywhere else (www.civ3.com). If so please mail Jeff and ask him to send it to you.
Old December 7, 2001, 23:09   #7
Davebo
Settler

Local Time: 14:10
You've lost me...
Does this new patch resolve the issues with W2k/XP?
Old December 7, 2001, 23:16   #8
TechWins
King

An e-mail I sent to Jeff just a few minutes ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it appears as if neither MarkG nor DanQ are presently at Apolyton, I was wondering if you could send me the patch, so I could post it up on my web site (www.kylec72.150m.com)? That way people could get as soon as possible access to the new patch. If you do not wish to do that, then could you please have Dan (Firaxis Dan) make the patch available for download at civ3.com very soon?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets just hope this thing gets put out soon for download.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old December 7, 2001, 23:21   #9
Simple Girl
Settler

Its up at civfanatics.com
Old December 7, 2001, 23:24   #10
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Here we go:
Thunderfall was faster

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads.../Civ3v116f.exe
Old December 7, 2001, 23:34   #11
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Jeff,
Do people who have already downloaded and applied the patch need to redownload/reapply if we're not running Win 2k/XP? Or is it just an installer change...

Thanks for all your hard work!

-- adaMada
Old December 7, 2001, 23:37   #12
barefootbadass
Prince

Wait, so the patch from Friday was the wrong one? The one we downloaded from this site? What's going on?

Also, I have noticed some of the changes in the one I downloaded Friday.
Old December 7, 2001, 23:39   #13
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

You might as well, but there isn't a rush. The difference between the two exe's are incredibly small, which is why the diffing program didn't catch it (same size pre-safedisc). One thing to keep in mind is that when you run the updated patch, it will uninstall the other one. Let it do it's thing and then run the patch again.

Jeff
Old December 7, 2001, 23:46   #14
DarkForce
Settler

Local Time: 20:10
???????
what is going on?

what is the difference of this 'new' 1.16f patch?
when will it be on civ3.com?
is this the final final final patch?

it's all so confusing

however v1.16f has a MAJOR bug. the lines on the foreign advisor screen do not appear. can u fix it? the game is almost unplayable with this bug.

Old December 7, 2001, 23:46   #15
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
You might as well, but there isn't a rush. The difference between the two exe's are incredibly small, which is why the diffing program didn't catch it (same size pre-safedisc). One thing to keep in mind is that when you run the updated patch, it will uninstall the other one. Let it do it's thing and then run the patch again.

Jeff
Sorry for being dense, but just to check that I followed what you just said...

If we're running a non-2k/XP system, we should redownload the patch. After downloading it, we install as though we've never patched at all -- the new (correct) patch will overwrite the changes the bad (incorrect) patch made. Am I right about that last part? Your last sentance has my brain running in circles .

Thanks again for all of your help and timely response!

-- adaMada
Old December 7, 2001, 23:50   #16
adaMada
King

Re: ???????
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkForce
what is going on?

what is the difference of this 'new' 1.16f patch?
when will it be on civ3.com?
is this the final final final patch?

it's all so confusing

however v1.16f has a MAJOR bug. the lines on the foreign advisor screen do not appear. can u fix it? the game is almost unplayable with this bug.

A) I've noticed this bug too.
B) It only appeared half way through my game.
C) I am running the incorrect version of the 1.16f patch.
D) This game was started pre-patch, but I'm pretty sure that this problem was not in effect the entire time I've had the patch.
E) I have a save game (playing it now) that demonstrates this. Jeff (or anyone else from Faraxis), would it help?
F) Is this the "minor difference" Jeff mentioned a post or two ago?
G) If there's any other info I can provide to help track this bug down, let me know.

Hope this helps somehow...

-- adaMada
Old December 8, 2001, 00:01   #17
thalidar
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
the new patch appears to fix advisor bugs
I was running on a Windows ME machine with the patch released early today using a bic in the scenario folder and observed the following:

1. Foreign Advisor lines disappeared after changing screens
2. Ghost artifacts (i.e. new settler borders) from main screen on advisor screen
3. OpenGL dependency lines on Science advisor screen disappearing but still being able to choose advances

I downloaded the updated patch. When you first click to install it, it actually unistalls the old patch. Then click it again to actually install the new patch.

I ran through 15 or so turns and all 3 problems appear to have gone away (they appeared within a few turns before).
Old December 8, 2001, 00:05   #18
adaMada
King

Re: the new patch appears to fix advisor bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by thalidar
I was running on a Windows ME machine with the patch released early today using a bic in the scenario folder and observed the following:

1. Foreign Advisor lines disappeared after changing screens
2. Ghost artifacts (i.e. new settler borders) from main screen on advisor screen
3. OpenGL dependency lines on Science advisor screen disappearing but still being able to choose advances

I downloaded the updated patch. When you first click to install it, it actually unistalls the old patch. Then click it again to actually install the new patch.

I ran through 15 or so turns and all 3 problems appear to have gone away (they appeared within a few turns before).
Ahhh, thanks! Clears up my mental muddle...

-- adaMada
Old December 8, 2001, 00:38   #19
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now can some mod stick this to the top?
Old December 8, 2001, 01:43   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

adaMada,

FYI, in case you haven't already been to CivFanatics, it seems that the file they have there is for everyone (including 2K/XP systems).

JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 8, 2001, 04:54   #21
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 20:10
US http://www.apolyton.net/civ3/files/Civ3v116f.exe
Europe http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~markg/apolyton/Civ3v116f.exe
Old December 8, 2001, 13:48   #22
taco
Settler

The "Updated" patch on civ3 fanatics was indeed updated right? I am still getting crashes to the desktop after installing it. I'd just download the one on apolyton but its a pain on my dialup, especially if it won't make a difference.

Also, as other people have mentioned here and there, half way through the game the lines stop appearing on the foreign advisor screen. The game was more playable pre-patch. Sorry been a huge supporter of the game, but i'd never been able to swallow patches that just don't work. Especially when it took so long to get it out the door.... anyways enough whining .

Last edited by taco; December 8, 2001 at 13:53.
Old December 8, 2001, 14:31   #23
Libertarian
King

I thought I should report that I am at war with the Egyptians, but the red line does not display on the foreign advisor screen. (Yes, I have the appropriate box checked.)
Old December 8, 2001, 15:12   #24
Asharak
Chieftain

Jeff -- the version of the patch works great for me. Thx again for the prompt response.

- Ash
Old December 8, 2001, 15:23   #25
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:10
The Win2k/XP F-key crash, as well as missing advisor lines, missing settler city ranging, and MANY other minor graphical bugs, are fixed in the latest version of the v1.16f patch.

Download the patch again (from Apolyton to be safe; I don't even know if the link on Civ3 is the updated patch or not) if you are experiencing any of these problems and/or downloaded the patch initially basically anytime Friday; the updated patch came out just before midnight PST, after midnight and therefore Saturday almost anywhere else in the world. After redownloading, run the patch TWICE. The first time will uninstall the "bad patch", the second will install the "good patch".

Please don't report bugs in the post-patch game until you have done this, so we don't get reports of things that have already been fixed. I wish Firaxis had released this updated patch as v1.16g or something to avoid confusion, but they didn't, so this is the best we can do.
Old December 8, 2001, 15:50   #26
taco
Settler

As a side note i am running some graphic mods. Snooy's terrain and Wonder screen (forgot who did the wonders sorry). Don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just did a fresh install and am going to try it out.
Old December 8, 2001, 16:49   #27
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

The correct v1.16f patch is now up at Civ3.com, my apologies for not getting it up there sooner, but @Home decided to take a nose dive at the most inopportune moment

Dan
Old December 8, 2001, 17:02   #28
Raion
Prince

ZDNet Gamespot also has the patch but in a - zip file. Don't know which version - Friday's or Saturday's version - but I downloaded both - the one from the Firaxis site and the zip from Gamespot.
The Firaxis is an *.exe file so I will probably use that -- all are for Win 95 - 98 - ME. The patch for Win2000/XP suppose to take just a little bit longer.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...016974,00.html

Tells what it fixes at the www.civ3.com site, the *.exe file patch version 1.16f -- whatever it's called.
Old December 8, 2001, 17:35   #29
Raion
Prince

Oh, still does not say anything about why the opening movie scene showing Infogames then Civ III and the movie, my sound file - sound.dll - file will not work with either my AWE 64 gold or the built in sound whatever (Crystal Fusion - built in) will lock up the game on startup, but then my old AWE 64 gold is getting dated, and maybe neither support anything but software buffers with sound with DX8. Just do not know, but never the sound has worked. I rename the 'sound.dll' file to 'sound.dl_' like I did with SMAC/Alien Crossfire, but I think that sound did eventually work with a later patch for that game, but the echos make me want to turn it off anyway for SMAC. Old sound card, I guess, not PCI, but ISA so I would think the built in sound card in the computer would work, but alas, none of the ones I have seem to work with CIVIII.
Oh, well, a new computer, and a new sound card probably would fix that problem, especially a new sound card that was PCI.

Also have a problem getting a font in the game sometimes, as I have to restart my computer, since I am not sure that the game ends right when returning back to Windows -- not mention of that either for the patch -- mainly just gameplay issues.
I just restart my computer until the 'fonts' for the game came up right, before continuing on with the game. Sometimes the Copyright font is wrong and the menu on the main game page are all 'squares' and not a font. Then sometimes, the info box in the game has a larger font that overflows the info box, but like I said, I restart the game until 'all fonts' appear right.
Still not sure, but IE5.5 may have something to do with it, especially when being on the Internet can seem to interfere with the running of my computer sometimes. I have fixed IE5.5 and restart my computer, but still I get that gdi32.dll file is bad for Windows 98SE. Usually leaving the game will cause my computer to give me a 'corrupt file' for gdi32.dll when things get bad on my computer, and I keep replacing that file then 'fonts' return to normal. It is either IE5.5 repair fixable or gdi32.dll for Win98SE fixable, but still I can not decide why only sometimes, those files are going bad in the first place. There is one other file that goes bad -- mspn.dll or something like that - not exact name of the file, either after being on the Internet sometimes, but I think it usually must be CIV III, as I never had that problem (or at least not knowing about it that much until I installed CIV III from the tin box). But I just do not know, but CIV III has something to do with it. (Sometimes and not all of the time -- until bit by bit those files seem to go bad.)
Also, when I restart my computer, something is causing Win98SE to update itself, as in the CIV III game never quite installing quite right on my computer. Everytime I quit the game and turn off my computer - later when I start my computer - I get this Windows is updating -- something like I said - the game never installed quite correctly, and still I have re-installed the game a few times -- and still it always does the same thing. '6's' appearing on regular Windows screen like IE or System Infomation or Explorer, until I fix the gdi32.dll corrupted file, yet IE5.5 seems to repair the Explorer screen, when I get numbers instead of the 'up' or 'down' arrows in the icons on the top of the screen, or '8's' or something instead of the graphic that should appear.
Just can not get a clean done install for my CD of Civ III. (????)
Never have yet!

Just in case, someone may know -- why??????

I just do not place faith in Microsoft with all of their update patches either, though, anymore!

Well, enough, back to playing when I can CIV III -- I just wonder if CD's are actually made right by those companies, anymore either!
A few marks were on my CD out of the tin box it came in but I never took it back because it seem to install and one time my CD-Rom needed cleaning, so that helped, but the above problems are still there as I mentioned.

Just like 33rpm records, the stuff just is not made that good including now CD's, maybe too much demand and not fast enough technology to make them any faster, so quality has gone down with the plastic stuff that makes up one's life.

Oh, well, anymore, it may be just turned off after struggling with everything!
Turning off options can also be done with the WIN conditions with CIV III - a handy feature to play whatever type of CIV III game one wants to play -- 5 -- five ways to beat that silly computer game, oh, but what fun!
Old December 8, 2001, 18:35   #30
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Please don't report bugs in the post-patch game until you have done this, so we don't get reports of things that have already been fixed.
The bug that I reported — no line showing war — was in the very latest patch, which I downloaded this morning. I would not be so irresponsible as to report a bug from an older version.