Old December 10, 2001, 02:49   #61
Foxglove
Settler

Local Time: 18:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Like the patch but suffered my first game freeze/crash as a result.

Game hung up between turns, late 19th century, Large map, regent level, 7 civs. Seemed to get stuck on a slowly rotating worker. I was playing American. Also large world war was going on and I had just captured a city as well.
Windows didn`t crash though, just the game.

System Info: Win 98 se, 384mb sdram, 1ghz AMD, Geforce2 mx 32mb.

HTH

--
Foxglove
--
Old December 10, 2001, 03:20   #62
dutch96
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
Fix for XP hang issue!!
For Whohangs and a few others who have been experiencing the following XP issue: Attempting to bring up Civ3 app but can only start a Civilization3.exe process that grabs 5M RAM and hangs ....

I brought up Properties on my Civilization3.exe file, post-1.16f patch, clicked the Compatibility tab, and saw for some reason I was running the exe in Win98/WinMe compatibility mode. I unchecked the option, i.e. turned OFF compatibility mode, rebooted (probably not necessary but I wanted to be safe), and the app comes up as expected!!

Why the exe had Win98/WinMe compatibility turned on is a mystery to me. I had never been in there before, I could not have checked the checkbox myself. This machine was upgraded from Win98 SE to WinXP, but a random check shows I am not running all exe's in Win98 compatibility as a default.

Off-topic for Whohangs specifically: Too bad about da Bears and their 2nd L to the Packers. Moral of the story is that it really helps to have a QB. Maybe Jauron should look for one.
Old December 10, 2001, 04:09   #63
FinnishGuy
Warlord

Local Time: 20:10
Quote:
Originally posted by FinnishGuy
Conqueror, Tuomas... I'm getting the same graphics bug. I'm playing at 1280x1024 (KeepRes=1 in civilization3.ini), and after first visit to advisory screens, the city label box frames are drawn at wrong places on main map. ...
To be more precise, visiting foreign relations advisor screen seems to trigger the bug.
Old December 10, 2001, 04:26   #64
Raion
Prince

Thanks AC, which are my initials by the way, well, Windows 98SE fixed itself before a couple of times, so I may have had a virius, but no, I think all is well.
Just the sound is probably not quite (the drivers) DX8 compatable,
and there will be no new drivers for either sound card. So, it's probably time to upgrade the computer somewhat!
But still other games have finally worked with my sound card or built in sound card even I think Star Topia, one of them had DX8, but still sometimes, I wonder about the Internet and things, I guess, just happen.
Oh, well, I still can play CIV III, but usually on the original CD that crash at the return to the desktop usually is only if playing for a short few turns in CIV III and not if one plays for longer than about an hour. Hard to say, it just does not happen all of the time, but it could have been something from the Internet, but it is just a combination of Explorer I think being fixed now from IE5.5 and not from Windows original 98SE.
Hard to also know from day to day what Microsoft is upgrading also. Most of the time I think I am on the Internet to get to Microsoft and upgrade their software (bugs).
Old December 10, 2001, 07:49   #65
Alkarion
Settler

The patch fixes some things but, as we all know, there are now new bugs which weren't there before. The biggest problem is of course the already reported, totally reproducible crash (hitting f11 and then f4). I never had a Civ3 crash before installing the patch. I'm also asking myself if the looping sound issue will ever be patched. Every time I activate the music sounds start looping after 10 or so minutes of playing. Many people have complained about the music, but I actually want to hear it - but I can't.
Old December 10, 2001, 09:11   #66
Syzyon
Settler

I would just like to point out this bug as well so it can be dealt with properly:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=37480
Old December 10, 2001, 10:33   #67
Pavel666
Settler

Local Time: 21:10
1. You still can't upgrade your phalenxes/pikeman's to Musketeer (french). I guess this concerns all other Civ-specific units too.

2. SHIFT-I auto worker is ****ed up. In original version you could trust them quite nicely. Now first thing they do is to clear nearest jungle for 2000 years and ignore the squares city is using.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:30   #68
JohnE
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:10
Spaceship Victory Problem
The one thing I wanted to see fixed in the patch is the spaceship victory: It doesn't work. After building all the parts, I can't access the spaceship screen anymore. Someone mentioned this in this thread. What is being done about this?
Old December 10, 2001, 12:18   #69
Whohangs
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
Re: Fix for XP hang issue!!
Quote:
Originally posted by dutch96
For Whohangs and a few others who have been experiencing the following XP issue: Attempting to bring up Civ3 app but can only start a Civilization3.exe process that grabs 5M RAM and hangs ....

I brought up Properties on my Civilization3.exe file, post-1.16f patch, clicked the Compatibility tab, and saw for some reason I was running the exe in Win98/WinMe compatibility mode. I unchecked the option, i.e. turned OFF compatibility mode, rebooted (probably not necessary but I wanted to be safe), and the app comes up as expected!!

Why the exe had Win98/WinMe compatibility turned on is a mystery to me. I had never been in there before, I could not have checked the checkbox myself. This machine was upgraded from Win98 SE to WinXP, but a random check shows I am not running all exe's in Win98 compatibility as a default.

Off-topic for Whohangs specifically: Too bad about da Bears and their 2nd L to the Packers. Moral of the story is that it really helps to have a QB. Maybe Jauron should look for one.
Thanks for the reply dutch.

First of all, yes the Bears have needed a quarterback for at least 4-5 years, a decade or two if you want to nitpick... Anyhow, I hope we meet in the playoffs!

Anyhow, the Win98/WinME compatibility is not by default turned on when you install, but for the majority of XP users was needed because without it turned on, the screen would go blank, you would here all of the music, but the screen would stay blank. You may have turned it on to fix this problem.

I quickly attempted to turn it off this morning and I still got the blank screen and music, although it wasn't hanging anymore. I'll have to play with it more tonight. But it looks like either I sit there and watch the 5 MB process or sit there looking at a blank screen with the music playing. I think I want a bit more then that.
Old December 10, 2001, 17:36   #70
PN
Prince

Hasn't Firaxis gone quiet?
After the debacle of releasing 2 patches with the same number (whose idiot idea was that?) hasn't it gone quiet at Firaxis?

Anybody there want to tell me why my game has crashed 5 times since I installed the patch after never crashing before? Worse still, after the crashes the game tells me that it cannot load several of my previous saved games, reporting a DataIO operation System Error: RPLE as the reason.

Back to the original version for me. There's loads of corruption sure, but apparently not in the executable

Come on Firaxis, let's here what you have to say. The ****-up with the dual release says something bad about your configuration control/management regime, my experiences since then give me little confidence in your testing either.

FWIW, I'm running Win98SE.
Old December 10, 2001, 18:36   #71
Grallon
Settler

My only question :

is there now a working editor ??

If not - the game will remain shelved

G.
Old December 12, 2001, 07:52   #72
Obi Wan
Settler

Local Time: 19:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxglove
Game hung up between turns, late 19th century, Large map, regent level, 7 civs. Seemed to get stuck on a slowly rotating worker. I was playing American. Also large world war was going on and I had just captured a city as well.
Windows didn`t crash though, just the game.
This behavior might be related to the unavoidable crash bug we're discussing here: http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...7&pagenumber=4