Old December 8, 2001, 12:18   #1
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Possible Temp Solution for stacked movement?
Okay, so it's a real bind to move bombers/ships/ or whatever to the same location, over and over and over .. scroll the map, click, scroll the map, click.

But wouldn't it be useful if there was a keyboard shortcut for "Repeat last order"?

It would only be active if the last order was something like a workers task or a GOTO, IE something that can be duplicated.

This way you can relocate your bombers with one SHIFT+R command, and then the shortcut for REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT ... geez, that would speed up MY gameplay.

Yes, no? Shut your mouth?

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 8, 2001, 12:39   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:11
I'd like to see you deal with some of the nondeterminism issues before I comment. For example, with respect to repeating a GOTO, would that be to go to the same tile, the same number of tiles, or what? Another, ought it to apply regardless of the number of moves left, i.e., move both a tank with one and a tank with two? Etc.
Old December 8, 2001, 12:55   #3
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:11
Logically it should the same tile as there is no reason to ever want to simply move the same number of tiles (it might be that the units are moving the same number but it's only because they're headed to the same place).

This would be rather easy to implement - you add a variable of a map tile coordinate and each time you give a deliberate move order, that coordinate is stored in this variable. You then simply add a keyboard command to invoke the goto(variable).

Given the existing interface functions which are surely there this one should be a nobrainer to implement with no danger of creating new bugs since the error check to see if a move command is legal for a given unit type is already there.
Old December 8, 2001, 13:05   #4
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:11
Well, let's imagien this:

Bomber is highlighted and you have a stack of 12 in this city. You want to relocate them all to the other side of the continent.

1st Bomber: Scroll map, SHIFT+R, click on new city.
2nd Bomber: ALT+R (or whatever)\
3rd Bomber: ALT+R
etc.

Tank in a completely different city.
ALT+R = goto same city.

Is this possible? Am I overlooking something?

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 8, 2001, 13:27   #5
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 10:11
With what code monkey up there suggests, yes. It will work because it works just like a goto city command. It has the map coord for the place in a variable, and says basically:
goto (11,110)
The unit will try to get there, and if it is a tank on another continent, then it will go to the nearest coast and sit there (and probably) drop out of auto-move to ask for help. There's dozens of games that have this system.

K

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.