View Poll Results: Who is the closest match to your personality?
Lady Deidre 2 6.90%
Chairman Yang 5 17.24%
Provost Zakharov 7 24.14%
CEO Morgan 3 10.34%
Colonel Santiago 3 10.34%
Sister Miriam 2 6.90%
Brother Lal 1 3.45%
Aki Zeta 5 3 10.34%
Synder Roze 1 3.45%
Captain Sven 1 3.45%
Foreman Domai 0 0%
Cha Dawn 0 0%
Marr 1 3.45%
Hmee 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8, 2001, 14:21   #1
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which faction leader are you most like?
People of Apolyton, yes all you SMACheads out there . Which one of the 14 faction leaders matches your personality the closest? Now, I don't mean physical appearance, (I'm "sure" you are all Deidre's and Svens ), nor your playing style - what I do mean is the personnality you have. Are you a pacifist? Do you always tend to your pets or plants? Or do you constantly bash (or nerve-staple) things around? Do you impose your will on everyone else or do you have plans that will make you have money coming out of your ears!

Old December 8, 2001, 17:07   #2
T-hawk
C4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Re: Which faction leader are you most like?
Neat thread idea. I'm Lal -- generally a peaceful sort of guy, often intervening in others' disputes with my own solution, while not being above a little deceit myself when needed. And Yang is my arch-enemy. :)
Old December 8, 2001, 18:33   #3
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 18:11
I'm an Aki - I rely on reasoned and logical argument to make a point rather than brute force (probably because I don't exactly have brute force in massive supply...)

I actually do value knowledge above almost all things - scary innit. I think that knowledge can get you anything if you use it right.

I guess I could maybe be a Lal as well - I have a scarily well=defined sense of morality and right/wrong, and I do often try to force it on people

I could also be a Deirdre being an eco-freak as I am, and possibly just about Zak-with-ethics. Other than that....ugh none of the others.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 8, 2001, 21:43   #4
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Brother Pravin Lal
Outwardly peaceful , trying to promote the greater good.
Inwardly brooding over a tumultuous past , given to sharp bursts of anger over perceived wrongs.

I wonder if Lal is Manic-Depressive but unable to recognize it in himself despite his medical background?
Old December 8, 2001, 22:07   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Quote:
Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic
I don't exactly have brute force in massive supply...
And i do, but i just don't use it...

i think im more of a zak/morgan... but who doesn't like money?
Old December 9, 2001, 00:51   #6
Spathi
Settler

Local Time: 10:11
Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
Okay, maybe I don't always think of myself as an insane megalomaniac dictator , but I do like Yang's philosophy. "Learn to overcome the crass demands"... I'm with you all the way, creepy little dude!

Of course, factoring in his obsession with security, I might have to go with the rationality of Aki, the materialism of Morgan, the progressive spirit of Zak, or the "succeed at any cost" mentality of Marr.

I voted for Yang anyway. The goals of the group and of the greater race ARE transcendent, after all, and I would like to achieve enlightenment.
Old December 9, 2001, 03:07   #7
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tough to choose just one. I like knowledge like Zakharov, but I despise the "above the law" mentality of many scientists. I like capitalism like Morgan, but not the strip-mining, seal clubbing style. The political system question, I don't even want to touch!

So I voted for Marr, because (in my eyes anyway) life, like the Planetary Flowering, is a long hard road with many pitfalls but an ultimate reward.
Old December 9, 2001, 08:36   #8
Cybergod
Prince

I am Synder Roze - I totally oppose authoritarianism and totalitarianism and I fully support free access to information!

Je suis Synder Roze - je m'oppose totalement à l'authoritarianism et le totalitarianism et moi approuvent pleinement le libre accès à l'information!

Although being a Virgo, I use methodic and analytical approaches (Aki) the above persona is the biggest one. Other personna mixed in ( ) are Deidre and Domai - for their idealism.
Old December 9, 2001, 10:30   #9
Alynzia
Warlord

You'll all hate me...
I have voted for Prokhor Zakharov because I think I'm the most like him... except the genius part obviously!!

I am a bit of an intellectual fascist like I assume he is because of the callous elitism practised in his society. I also believe in the pure pursuit of knowledge in that knowing things is reward enough for doing research. Blah,blah, blah.

I also don't like cutting my hair, but have yet to develop a taste for vodka.

Alynzia.

(Was that a dig Cybergod? I'm sure you are all Deirdre's?)
Old December 9, 2001, 18:19   #10
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
any perticular reason you decided to write in both english and french?
Old December 9, 2001, 19:05   #11
Sikander
King

Local Time: 11:11
I'm probably closest to Santiago and Sven. I'm not as much of a pillaging thief as Sven, but that's because I live in a well-ordered society where it is worth my while to go along to get along. However I am a fairly violent person when that is necessary, and well skilled in a variety of martial arts. My religious tendencies are to worship ancient war gods, and politically I tend toward Libertarianism. I do believe in the right to keep and bear arms, and it is one I enjoy and don't abuse.
Old December 9, 2001, 23:29   #12
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 13:11
Santiago. It's all about being pragmatic, practical, powerful, and free. And by "free" I mean "heavily armed."
Old December 10, 2001, 02:31   #13
Tyrion
Settler

Lady Deirdre. I just love prancing naked through the woods.
Old December 10, 2001, 03:25   #14
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
Santiago. It's all about being pragmatic, practical, powerful, and free. And by "free" I mean "heavily armed."
Very well said.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 10, 2001, 14:47   #15
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
any perticular reason you decided to write in both english and french?
French was the original diplomatic language and spies are the people on the edge between diplomacy and war...

ALynzia, that was just another one of my crappy jokes that never seem to work... (Like the following, bellow...)

So many of you are like Zakharovs! Gosh, you should all work in NASA or something

Old December 11, 2001, 20:18   #16
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 08:11
Chairman Sheng-ji Lal
Myself? I guess I'm a cross between Sheng-ji and Lal.

I love to hear others talk about their problems and try to work arugments out rationally. I like to be the peacemaker.

On the other hand, I also have a tendency to be megalomaniacal
and some of my friends believe I have slight delusions of grandeur.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old December 12, 2001, 17:04   #17
wgabrie
Prince

I don't know what everyone will think of this , but I think of myself as being very similar to Sister Miriam. I find that I agree with almost everything she says.

Do you remember the part of the original SMAC story where Miriam almost died in her cryo-cell, but was saved by God? I have also been saved from death by God at least once. (Thank you, God )

One more thing is that I have had a dream of leading the Lord's Believers. It was very real, and this was before I had even heard of SMAC.
Old December 12, 2001, 19:24   #18
Adalbertus
Prince

I find it very difficult to describe myself in terms of SMAC faction leaders. As a scientist - Zak. As a religious person - everytimes when I hear Miriams "Beware you who seek final principles ... He awaits you just after your last theorem": That's exactly why the religious half of the scientific community is attracted by science! Or with Einstein's words: "God is smart, but he doesn't cheat us."
During playing SMAC, I have also the tendency to play builder style until there is someone who cannot resist to make me angry (Morgan usually is the only one who can resist). In this case they'll get war until they submit. I think, that's the principle of "peacekeeping forces": Lal. There might be also something of Yang in me, Deirde more in her citations than the way it actually is played by the AI (hmm. Also in reality those who call themselves most openly "pacifists" are among the most aggressive people ... ). From Morgan and Santiago I'm quite safe (except for interest in the psycological or mathematical part of economy). I don't know SMAX, however.

Quote:
I find that I agree with almost everything she says.
I agree with almost nothing, except one of the first things, where she says that evil lurks in the datalinks as it did in the streets of yesteryear, but it never were the streets that were evil. She simply is narrow-minded, has forgot how to play and has not yet noticed that God obviously has lots of humour (if we can describe this in human terms) as he is willing to deal with us stupid humans. And she also forgot about the central part of Christianity: Love.

OK, I have to admit, love and a real peaceful mind wouldn't give an interesting SMAC faction. Would ye modders take this as a challenge ?
Old December 12, 2001, 21:57   #19
wgabrie
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
I find it very difficult to describe myself in terms of SMAC faction leaders. As a scientist - Zak. As a religious person - everytimes when I hear Miriams "Beware you who seek final principles ... He awaits you just after your last theorem": That's exactly why the religious half of the scientific community is attracted by science! Or with Einstein's words: "God is smart, but he doesn't cheat us."
You have a good point, and if I were to choose one thing I don't agree with Miriam on, it would be her Angry God complex.

However I don't blame her for being upset. Isn't the real reason for researching "final principles" to learn how to become a god and use godlike power?

Quote:
And she also forgot about the central part of Christianity: Love.
I have looked into this. It seems the Believers are designed to be several different groups. The play style mimics the OT Hebrew people. Under Joshua the Hebrews took over the land of Cannon and slew just about everyone.

The next group is the Catholics. They have beautiful cathedrals and a Pope to rule them. Miriam fits so nicely in that role doesn't she?

Lastly the Fundamentalists who live by the Bible and don't like the fancy cathedrals. Interestingly enough the fundamentalist movement was started to rid the church of man made doctrines and get back to the fundamentals of faith written in the bible. The fundamentals are total love for God and love others as yourself.

So to make a long story short (Too late! ) Miriam did forget about love. Too bad the designers modeled her after conflicting groups. It later drove her mad and all she had left were her angry god and a take over the promised land complex.

Quote:
OK, I have to admit, love and a real peaceful mind wouldn't give an interesting SMAC faction. Would ye modders take this as a challenge ?
I once made Miriam pacifist and made her immune to the -2 research of Fundamental to make her more open minded. I did it when someone said Miriam was put in to make people anti-Christian. I tested her in a game and it worked too well. When I got infiltrator, I discovered she had built Recycling Tanks at all bases. On top of that she offered me a treaty and was magnanimous towards me the whole time. However it was totally out of character for Miriam, I actually quit the game crying "No! Miriam's too nice. Make her stop! It's like something out of Barney and friends." I was so traumatized I couldn't play SMAC for a whole day. I ended up reinstalling SMAC, and I never changed her file like that again.

Oh well, I should probably stop making these long messages, because I may start to like it, and I'm probably clogging up the server with all my smilies.
Old December 13, 2001, 04:11   #20
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by wgabrie
Isn't the real reason for researching "final principles" to learn how to become a god and use godlike power?
In short: Not for Zak, but for Morgan to pay for Zak.
Longer: Many of those physicist I know are physicist because it is fun to discover new things. And the better they are, te more openly they say it. It's a bit the awareness of the fact that the children's job is by no means done. And this curiosity is the power which really drives science (as opposed to engineering).
About "final principles": I think God is smart enough to have always a surprise for us. (Do you like surprises? ) : ) Apart of that, in the first place the discovery of a Theory of Everything (ToE) would be pretty useless, technically or economically. Btw: ToE means for physicists specifically a theory which combines the quantum theories of electromagnetism, weak and strong interaction (which already were successfully combined during the last thirty years and nobody noticed) with the theory of gravity, the genera relativity. I don't see a single reason why this should be the last word in fundamental science. If there is a final theory, then it is almost certainly that overwhelmingly simple that nobody is able to understand it

Quote:
Originally posted by wgabrie
The next group is the Catholics. They have beautiful cathedrals and a Pope to rule them.
Miriam? Pope? If she goes to Yang and apologizes for her aggressiveness in the past as the pope (finally!) did, ok. She behaves more than (by far too) many popes of the past, though.

To sum up: Jesus knew why he said "My reign is not of this world" (Sorry, I don't know the words of King James' Bible). You can't run a country based solely on christian principles. For a good game you need a reign of this world, and this is what Miriam's Fundamentalism is.
Old December 13, 2001, 05:57   #21
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it would have to be Zakharov. That is, in my outlook on the world. When I think about what should be done on something, I try to think with almost pure logic. Of course I don't *ACT* like that, but I don't think he does either. However I *DO* have a sense of ethics, so Lal would have to be a close second.

In some ways it could even be Santiago, because I have a habit of being paranoid and probably the only reason I'm not a total psychopath is because I don't have the will. Some people say I am anyway.
Old December 13, 2001, 22:59   #22
Silence
Warlord

I am a cross between, Miriam, Morgan, and Lal, very self-contraditory person I am.

I am also new here,

On the subject of Miriam, I think her organztion is similar to the Reunifed Christan Church in David Feintuch's Seafort saga, that would explain why there is the split in Catholicsm and Fundlementism going on. I do remember reading something about her being part of a disocse of some part before leaving Earth.
Old December 14, 2001, 05:04   #23
aaglo
King

Local Time: 21:11
Yang skye
I consider myself as a Yang-Deidre mixture, there's a lot of both of them in me - anti-capitalistic high-security treehugger
Besides, hard work does not kill anybody (well, it greatly depends on the line of work really... ).
Old December 14, 2001, 15:37   #24
Panzer
Warlord

I'm a Zakharov, all the way! On the other hand, I do have some Yang-like tendencies (megalomania anyone?) and i do agree on some of Deidre's statements