Old May 23, 2000, 20:27   #1
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:21
Local Date: October 30, 2010
city municipal systems/improvement production
I figured I might as well start a thread on this as it would help a lot IMO. I thought on this in my media thread, which no one is posting in, oh well, municipal systems. I heard a while back that people didn't like the idea that you only build one library for a city of 3000000 so what if you built a library system which would cost more to operate as the city run and could be turned off then on again if the cost was too much instead of destroying it. The screen would be in the city screen, called systems or something. Some systems could be,
Education, schools colleges libraries, + intelligence
Sewer, + life expectancy, + happiness
Police, lowers corruption, crime, + happiness
Fire, lowers cost for systems(less fires)
Medical, + happiness, + life expectancy
Mass transit, + happiness, lowers pollution
Roads, + happiness, + production
Utilities(modern electricity, water, stuff like that, would be different from sewer)

Life expectancy-More people since people live longer.
Intelligence-higher science production trade because people innovate more, are smarter, and trade happens because of more goods because of innovation, trade is iffy.

Maybe some gov specific ones
Big brother or something for police state
City Council for democracy/republic
Place of worship for fundementalism

You could turn zoning on off for
docks
temples
churches
airports
would be turned on and raise things like pollution, happiness, taxes, increased trade/food but wouldn't cost things to maintain.

At the empire screen or whatever you could turn education for all cities or something. So what does everyone think for a new city building thing, we could always stick with the old one too.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
Old May 25, 2000, 11:42   #2
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
Sounds like a cool idea. I don't think it makes sense either that one library can support a huge city, or one temple would do it either.

I'll have to think a bit more about it before I can make some suggestions.
Old May 25, 2000, 16:02   #3
tniem
King

Remember that one library is supposed to be a system not just one building. Be careful with zoning because that could simply become more tedious micromanagement.

I think a change that could be implemented with your ideas is the idea of other ways to earn money and not simply through taxes. For instance when you build a stadium maybe you can get part of the gate money.

I also think that in a Democracy or free market economy, certain corporations should build supermarkets and banks and such without you the player having to individually invest the time and money.
Old May 25, 2000, 21:32   #4
Psion
Settler

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Be careful not to turn this into multiple simcities. Its a good idea, but not if its overdone. Things like intelligence, life expectancy, etc would be a great addition, with improvements that effect them and gov-specific improvements. Zoning may be too far, though.
Old May 25, 2000, 21:44   #5
Par4
King

Yeah kill the zones that was dumb, I've been playing SC3kU for a few days straight now If the libraries did represent a system like mine says then how can it be 1 gold coin forever. The system would use real money, if the city has 10mil people then its going to spend thousands a thousands a year to pay for the libraries. I only thought of using the SC things because immigrating,emmigrating is big in that game(although mainly on jobs but they leave if land value/pollution bad too) so I thought some of the stuff could be implemented. The systems is from media thread.

------------------
I use this email
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
Old May 26, 2000, 07:48   #6
tniem
King

I agree Par that is a bit of stretch in the money spent. I always just thought in my mind that the rest of the money is picked up by the local governments who also tax the people. I don't know if there was any truth to this, it just made sense to me.
Old May 31, 2000, 19:06   #7
OrangeSfwr

I thought Aqueducts brought water from nearby hills, not lakes. But either way, I like it. Would it appear in the map and, if so, could it be destroyed by rival units?

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Old May 31, 2000, 19:23   #8
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:21
I think the same issue was also brought up with power lines, but I'm not convinced that I like either. Open to thoughts as always, however.

- MKL
Old May 31, 2000, 19:27   #9
OrangeSfwr

Definitely not powerlines!! Wow I never saw that thread. But if I did I would've posted a resounding "HELL NO!". But I kinda like the aqueduct idea. It needs some work though...

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Old June 1, 2000, 00:25   #10
beyowulf
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:21
Though you know one thing that might be good to borrow from SimCity is instead building say an aquaduct improvement and spendinng x amount in maintenance, maybe you could have a settler build an aquaduct -outside- the city, piping the water from a nearby lake. Or, if there are no lakes nearby, you might need to build a longer aquaduct.

How 'bout that?

Old June 1, 2000, 05:00   #11
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
quote:

Originally posted by Psion on 05-25-2000 09:32 PM
Be careful not to turn this into multiple simcities. Its a good idea, but not if its overdone. Things like intelligence, life expectancy, etc would be a great addition, with improvements that effect them and gov-specific improvements. Zoning may be too far, though.

exactly.

Old June 3, 2000, 06:01   #12
Spekter@Home

The idea of building the aquaduct as an improvement the way it is now, is to cut down on the micromanagement of the city. I kind of think it simplifies the idea too much, though.

The system idea works for me becuase it addresses the complexity of maintaining a metropolis and a small town with the same basic improvements but at varying costs for different sized cities.

I think the appeal of powerlines and aquaducts built on the map by settlers/engineers is that they make a little more of the infrastructure vulnerable to invading armies. Is it worth the hassle of even further micromanagement, though?

------------------
"We are all greater artists than we realize."
-Nietzsche

Old June 3, 2000, 15:05   #13
Par4
King

I don't want to have to move settlers/engineers are anymore that just plain sucks, maybe engineers/settlers or legions or whatever can build stuff should have an active range then have a point click system to select sites for improvements, like in CTP but no cost, and for the thing to be completed it would have to have a unit capable of building it in its range at all times or the site is disbanded. Having overlaping and ratios of speed to number being produced could make the game more real so if you have the whole engineer group working on a powerline it builds faster than 10 power lines each with 1/10 of the group working on it. I like power lines/aquaducts, aquaducts would be less desirable than less easily destroyed underground pipes in modern age. These could fix the cities in desert supporting 4 million people with no near by water unrealism.

------------------
I use this email
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
OMG if your hard drive dies,
And you ain't got backup of your files
Life sucks
Although I am doing a lot more Mountain Biking