Old December 8, 2001, 20:12   #1
tictoc
Settler

Local Time: 18:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
patch? (what else)
Hi guys. I've been playing smac/x for some time and was given civ2 multiplayer (not the gold) recently so i thought i'd give it a go, yeah i know civ2 is supposed to be played first, but anyway, the version number is 1.2 (internal 5.3) dated 1.2.99. My question is (here it comes), what patches are needed (if any) to bring it upto spec.

regards tic
Old December 8, 2001, 22:22   #2
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:12
I think Apolyton has the patch that is needed for MPGE: 1.3 It sould be in the database somewhere.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:05   #3
tictoc
Settler

Thanks for the link, but i'm now confused, please bear with me on this. On a site i visited there is reference to FW and MGE, now in my civ2 folder there is a txt file explaining about FW but there is no indication in the manual that it is available in my version, also (possibly dumb question time) what is MGE, i don't want to d/load either the FW or MGE patches just in case they are either, already installed (just need the scenarios), or if the patch you suggested takes care of it. Oh by the way, on the back of the civ2 multiplayer box i have, it clearly shows dinosaurs on one of the maps, but none of the scenarios included (well installed ) have these.

regards tic
Old December 9, 2001, 04:43   #4
tictoc
Settler

The patch suggested would not install as i 'did not have the gold version' so i presume 1.2 is my limit, i d/loaded a dinosaur scenario which required FW to run and it works fine, so even though it's not in the manual i guess FW must be installed. Still confused about the MGE though.

tic
Old December 9, 2001, 04:53   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
MGE=Multiplayer Gold Edition.This was the US version name.Elsewhere I think it was called UCC-Ultimate Civilization Collection.
It was the last(afaik) version of civ2 which included the FW add-on, Conflicts in Civilizations scenarios expansion pack and multiplay.
It also had a significantly more hostile AI.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:58   #6
tictoc
Settler

Hehe, in my eternal enthusiasm i d/loaded the wrong patch (duh), so now trying the UCC patch. Many thanks.

tic