Old December 9, 2001, 10:54   #1
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
First patch problems and unfixed list
I have a high end computer and have been playing civ series since 1997. I am not pleased with this "so-called" sequel but since I have $70.00 invested I will dispence with any more negative feedback. I am compiling a "valid" list of bugs since installing the bug and ones still not addressed last. I hope this helps to improve this game to make it at least almost as fun as Civ 2 was for me. Here are some problems I had with the patch. (I build computers for a living I am 46 years old with that said)

1) Installing the patch over top of the mods that I was playing caused all sorts of problems. I tried restarting still had some bugs where settler building zone & foriegn advisor no lines show for diplomacy, some cities had civil disorder and not reporting it etc. I reinstalled the game totally removing all folders. The patch worked good after that point.

2) First game I played on a 230x230 map. I played as Greeks with 2 extra techs, changed the AI to default at Chieftain, I use all of Snoopy's graphics as well.
I was building my 5th city in a valid location. Fatal crash occured. I had to restart, reloading before the crash and built the city at another location no problems. The spot I was trying to build at was all trees no water.

3) Started war with English in no mans territory. I had 2 reg. warriors & 2 conscripts that were fortified. The english had 2 regular warriors attacking my units. He killed all of my units I even tried reloading same results.

4) Units disappear if you save and reload sometimes. I lost a settler, a caravel, 2 hoplites and a couple of workers. That was a freaky experience thinking I had been playing to long

5) When dragging movement line for unit to ship it will not allow movement. (trivial) You have to send to edge of land then ship. Maybe it was done on purpose but why?

6) Automatic workers will go crazy and loop back forth in and out of cities. This seems to only occur when you automate all workers on a large land mass. Automation of units should not jerk you all over your world between them. It should sort the units in order, stay in one place to finish all orders at that location, trivial again but I had 2 games with massive land masses. It made me dizzy watching to go back and forth same spot rotating

7) Will not allow you to load the queue with multiple wealths, nor will it allow you to build multiples of other items.

8) You are not allowed to switch between wonders once started nor will it allow you too build the same wonder in 2 cities. Doing this is how some experienced players can prepare to build the next wonder get a head start. Maybe this is on purpose as well.

9) Editor is still hopelessly broken not allowing us to place the exact starting locations for any civ. Plus a host of other things. Like no overhead view of the current map your working on How do you expect people too easily create maps? Oh maybe by using the numbers no no not me. I know it is easy to fix that problem.

10) The AI seems to be MUCH less aggressive now since the patch.

11) Diplomacy needs some help for certain situations. If you are ally with one civ and another civ attacks them you have no reponse available too bribe them, ask them to stop the war. Maybe a bonus for being a world leader.

2 games crashed in a row on me when building cities. On am on my 3rd game just going into the Industrial age. I have the largest land mass I have ever played on by myself. These are the problems and bugs I personally have come across. I will add to this list when I come across something else. I play the game every day for quite a bit being I work at home ! Looking forward to hopefully getting a future patch that fixes everything.

Desert Dog
Old December 9, 2001, 11:48   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wow. I really must commend you for your civility and restraint. I hope your concerns are addressed. I think I can help with a couple of them:

Quote:
5) When dragging movement line for unit to ship it will not allow movement. (trivial) You have to send to edge of land then ship. Maybe it was done on purpose but why?
Can't help with the "why", but it has always been this way. Even pre-patch, you must take your unit to the tile adjacent to the ship. Then load.

Quote:
7) Will not allow you to load the queue with multiple wealths, nor will it allow you to build multiples of other items.
Hope this will at least partially help. There's a new option in the Preferences such that a city will produce the same unit it produced before. As to wealth, it has always been that if you build wealth, it stays on wealth until you change it.

Quote:
8) You are not allowed to switch between wonders once started nor will it allow you too build the same wonder in 2 cities. Doing this is how some experienced players can prepare to build the next wonder get a head start. Maybe this is on purpose as well.
It is. The patch specs covered this. You can build a palace in only one city at a time (it will be grayed in the others). The closest you're going to get to this is to use the palace as a buffer for one and only one wonder.

Quote:
10) The AI seems to be MUCH less aggressive now since the patch.
This was hinted at in the patch specs. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.