Old May 29, 2000, 07:20   #1
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Disease
Maybe a way to finally represent diseaese as in when Europeans met the Native Americans.

Each civ has an immunity percentage. This rating is determined by number of hospitals (and other health buildings and sanitation(sewer systems) buildings) comapred to cities, and the ammount of diseases rampant in your civ (the more, the higher your immunity rating). Diseases are caused by the size of your cities, the closeness of your cities and the number of civs you have contact with. Diseases simply knock off a few population each turn (using x10 system, so they don't really have a great effect). Sounds complicated, but all you see is the percentage, the computer calculates it. You might have a list of causes so you can try to increase your rating.

When you make first contact with another civ the immunity ratings are compared. If one civ's immunity ratings is 25% or more less than the others, a civ wide epidemic occurs, and keeps occuring every turn until the difference in immunity ratings is less than 25%. Since the exposure itself raises the immunity rating, the epidemic would burn out after a few turns. This epidemic would not be your average disease, it would cause massive damage each turn it is in effect, so even though it only lasts for a few turns, it would be catastrophic.

I think players would want to keep their immunity ratings as high as possible. Even a powerful civ could be crippled by an epidemic, just as IRL.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old May 29, 2000, 09:38   #2
The Joker
Prince

Local Time: 02:22
Wow. 2 diseases!

None the less I like the idea, and some representation of diseases should be included. Maybe epidemics could occur out of nothing (like the black death i the middle ages), and if you didn't have enough hospitals and such it could kill a large percentage of your people?
Old May 29, 2000, 14:53   #3
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
Local Date: October 30, 2010
IMO, this is the best idea on the boards that hasn't yet been featured to Firaxis.

Could you explain more about the percentage in immunity differences? Does this model assume one germ type per Civ? And "immunity" is a defense against ALL the various germ types?

Also to consider would be latitude and longitude as well as oceans. I.e., civ's living on the same continent, side by side along the same latitude, would naturally be exposed to the same germs even without contacting each other. However, crossing oceans, or meeting civs living on the same continent but at different latitudes (i.e., north or south of them) they would come into contact with new environments, ergo, new germs.

Interesting! Want to hear more!
Old May 30, 2000, 02:01   #4
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
You know, this idea could lead to "germ warfare"... Whereby a civ sets up an expendable town near another civ, bringing new diseases and crippling the other civ.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old May 30, 2000, 02:16   #5
raingoon
Prince

True -- germ warfare could come from a disease model. Or, to be more accurate, maybe there should be something called "The Germ Model" for Civ 3?

Old May 30, 2000, 06:56   #6
UltraSonix
King

Somehow, though, I think have germ warefare in Civ3 just won't be in the spirit of the game...

------------------
Old May 30, 2000, 09:02   #7
Biddles
Prince

The Joker: I didn't exactly mean that there would be 2 diseaeses. In your civ there would be numerous diseases at any one time (depending on the factors: city size, city proximity and no. of civs you would know). For example CivX might have 70 diseases present in their civ. The other 'diseases' that I refered to was the epidemic. The epidemic would be an event that happens when civ's first come in contact. It would be a multitude of diseases running rampant in the civ.

raingoon: Immunity percentage. If you had never encountered a strain of influenza before then you would be highly succeptible to any influenza strain. Whereas if you had been exposed to a large number of influenza strains then you would have a greater chance of surviving a new one. In essence, the greater number of diseases that you were exposed to, the higher chance you have of quickly overcoming a new diseases, because you would have encountered something similar before. I am not sure if this is how things really work, but I think they do. Since the immunity percentage takes into account number of diseases (along with health facilities) so immunity rating is kind of like immune strength, 100% being invincible strength 0% being totally succeptible.

UltraSonix: Germ warfare, exactly the point of this whole system. What's the fun of having it if you can't wipe out a civ with it without declaring hostlilities . In that scenario it would be useful to 'collect' diseases...

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old May 30, 2000, 18:24   #8
UltraSonix
King

Sigh Biddles, what has our great city come to when germ warfare is considered acceptable in a game - still, when the game comes out then, I'll be ready to equip my civizens with anti-germ suits.

------------------
Old May 30, 2000, 20:56   #9
Biddles
Prince

Double post.
[This message has been edited by Biddles (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old May 30, 2000, 20:57   #10
Biddles
Prince

Don't worry, all you will have to do will be to build the CDC (centre for disease control) wonder and you'll be safe.

------------------
- Biddles

Mars Colonizer Mission
Old May 31, 2000, 00:14   #11
Par4
King

Actually European immunity came from living with small pox for a long time and many people dying, but more living, creating a large immune population. European cities were also dense and had large trade networks bringing diseases from everywhere. Native americans, lived in small communities without dense populations and the problems and diseases that came, there weren't epidemics among indian tribes, at least the ones the europeans met during colonization in NA. Europeans also knew about how the diseases were spread, some Spanish dude, don't remember who, gave the Incas blankets infected with small pox because they knew the Incas would die from the blankets. I'm probably missing some things, I haven't read GGS, guess what that acronym is for, in over a year so I'm a little rusty. Hospitals and stuff should be for stopping epidemics that happen, they aren't going to raise immunity to foreign diseases, actually if you have your population completely cut off to harmful diseases their immunity to all diseases overall will lower thus for a while foreign diseases will do a lot more damage. Also epidemics have to move, by units, trade routes, if you civ has a network of roads or not, and wheter your civ pop moves and travels a lot is going to affect epidemic spreading. Human genome project will make all regions in which a CDC is present immune to all diseases and only be killed by germ warfare for 1 turn. CDC built like an improvement for the city/region.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
OMG if your hard drive dies,
And you ain't got backup of your files
Life sucks
Although I am doing a lot more Mountain Biking
Old June 6, 2000, 00:58   #12
Ken Bregott
Chieftain

What about sanitation? Surely any sensible disease model will include the effects of the Aqueduct and Sewer System in it?