Old December 10, 2001, 07:41   #31
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Moraelin,

An important distinction to be sure, and I'm glad you made the point. That said, I don't see what's wrong with what upper management has done either. If you were a shareholder, what would you think of your CEO if he did not maximize your equity?
Old December 10, 2001, 09:08   #32
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 19:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Moraelin,

An important distinction to be sure, and I'm glad you made the point. That said, I don't see what's wrong with what upper management has done either. If you were a shareholder, what would you think of your CEO if he did not maximize your equity?
If I were a Firaxis shareholder, I'd be seriously annoyed at how the management is diluting the strongest brand in gaming by rushing not only the game itself (they could have kept it inhouse for another three weeks w/out ruining the x-mas rush) but also the patch. I can't be the only gamer who's decided _not_ to buy Firaxis' next game on sight.

While I think that the amount of aggression directed at individual Firaxis employees who spend time and effort to do their best right here at Apolyton is nothing short of insane, I also think that Firaxis, the company, has made some really lousy business decisions lately.

As for myself, I've had to reinstall the game since not being able to see who's in war with whom is far worse handicap than the air superiority bug ever was - can't say I'm overly impressed by the patch and the handling; some developers at Firaxis clearly care for and love the game, but frankly I don't think the company as a whole can be said to do so.

The next patch had better be spectacular, and had better not be rushed. As far as I'm concerned I'd prefer if Firaxis' employees went home to sleep and delivered a good patch in two months rather than another bug-ridden stinker in three weeks.
Old December 10, 2001, 09:44   #33
Moraelin
Warlord

Local Time: 18:14
Libertarian, first of all, I'm not a shareholder. I'm just, you know, the guy who bought the game. I'm not simply against Firaxis making money, or anything. But I _am_ against those money being made by screwing the customer.
Old December 10, 2001, 10:08   #34
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 20:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
If you were a shareholder, what would you think of your CEO if he did not maximize your equity?
hmmm one of the main shareholders IS the ceo...
Old December 10, 2001, 10:13   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:14
Quote:
so i assume that whenever the word "patch" is mentioned in a thread, you'll join in and remind everyone of firaxis' error....
So am I to assume you want to troll this forever?

Common Sense 102:

1) More than 10 threads mention the patch.
2) Yin mentions the error in this one (and I think one more).

Thus, Markos is trolling and he knows it, deliberately ignoring why I brought this issue up this way in this thread.

Markos: If you are curious why I posted this way in this thread, stop being curious. No further amount of common sense will make it any better for you.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 10, 2001, 10:26   #36
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

ok, so you're not posting about firaxis' errors in all threads. just the positive ones(no need to do in the others)

come on, yin, admit you're once again in a crusade. it's not something bad, you've had some excellent things in the past...
Old December 10, 2001, 10:37   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

As I've said before, when Firaxis actually does more than what it is expected of them, I will join in the praise. That moment has yet to come with Civ3.

As I've also said before, when somebody goes out of his way to praise Firaxis for merely doing what it expected of them as some kind of proof that "Firaxis really cares afterall," I certainly will step in and show the silliness of the statement as appropriate.

Firaxis working hard on a patch to a game that NEEDS it ... and to a patch that was MIS-released to begin with does *not* deserve a "See! Firaxis cares!" thread. Period.

If that means to you I am on a crusade, fine. A crusade of reason.

Old December 10, 2001, 10:51   #38
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
when Firaxis actually does more than what it is expected of them
you mean what is expected by you, right?

Quote:
As I've also said before, when somebody goes out of his way to praise Firaxis .... I certainly will step in and show the silliness of the statement as appropriate.
so we are all supposed to be "marching" in a certain way, and if we're not we're silly and you will step in to correct us

Quote:
Period.
yes Lord

Quote:
If that means to you I am on a crusade, fine. A crusade of reason.
poor firaxis.....
Old December 10, 2001, 11:01   #39
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
you mean what is expected by you, right?
Well, if I'm the only one around here who thinks that a game with broken features should be patched, then, yes. It's only something expected by me. Call me crazy.
Quote:
so we are all supposed to be "marching" in a certain way, and if we're not we're silly and you will step in to correct us
Gee, I wasn't the one trying to tell somebody that his comments about the patch don't belong in a thread using the patch as evidence of 'Caring Firaxis' don't belong here.

And, yes, you are silly for: 1) Telling my comments were thread-jacking when they were nothing of the sort and 2) Not admitting that you were out of line from the get-go here and are now trying to troll away that fact.

Listen, Markos, you want a fight ... you got one. Bring it.

Old December 10, 2001, 11:20   #40
Nagel
Settler

Local Time: 19:14
Quote:
Originally posted by BanastreTa

It's really quite easy.

Some of us who have loved the Civilization series for a long time have also loved lurking for a long time .

BT

And some of us didn't bother to even register until now.