Old June 3, 2000, 02:27   #1
Spekter@Home

Distributions
Does anyone know if they're planning to do a Linux version? If so, I'd like to suggest distributing both the Win version and the Linux version in the same package (maybe offer the combo pack for $10 more or something). If they plan on developing both versions in tandem (which should be easier, no?) then the only real differences should be in the executables and library files. The data (images, sounds, videos(?), text) should be in the same format regardless of OS, which means that they should be able to get both versions on the same disk even.

Just a thought.

------------------
"We are all greater artists than we realize."
-Nietzsche
[This message has been edited by Spekter@Home (edited June 03, 2000).]

Old June 4, 2000, 02:59   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interesting idea, but somehow I think if they're going to make a Linux version, it won't come out until quite a while after the win version comes out.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 5, 2000, 19:02   #3
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 00:22
As I understand it, this is up to the publisher. The primary determination is whether or not the game sold well enough to justify the additional development cost. With SMAC it was, so EA contracted a linux and Macintosh port. One point worth making is that Firaxis didn't handle the SMAC ports in-house. Aspyr (Austin, TX) did the Mac port and Loki (Tustin, CA(weird)) did the linux (both professional and talented outfits).

Jeff Morris
Firaxis Games
[This message has been edited by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old June 6, 2000, 00:45   #4
Ken Bregott
Chieftain

Wishful thinking. The market sadly lies with wintel, like it or not, and they're not going to work on optimising code for two platforms when one has a very small profit margin. Technology dates quickly, and they don't want to pump in the resources necessary to keep the project up to date while a Linux version is worked on.
[This message has been edited by Ken Bregott (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old June 6, 2000, 22:54   #5
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How about trying to make it initially runnable with WINE? Might not be the perfect solution, and it certainly could not match a real decent port, but at least it would enble us Linux users to take Civ3 for a spin right after release.
Old June 7, 2000, 04:03   #6
Spekter@Home

I don't actually use WINE, but does it support the Win98 system calls? I can't see them making Civ 3 compatable Win 3.x; it's just too dated.

I forgot that Firaxis didn't do the other ports. That alone makes me think you guys are right. It ain't gonna happen for at least a year after the Win release.

Sigh...

------------------
"We are all greater artists than we realize."
-Nietzsche

Old June 7, 2000, 13:44   #7
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
I don't know about WINE which is a windows emulator, but I have been able to run many window's games in Linux using VMWARE (except 1st person shooters have a noticably lower FPS rate) which acts like a virtual machine instead of an emulator.
Old June 7, 2000, 14:02   #8
agent4043
Settler

The problem with VMWare is it requires you to own an actual copy of Windows9x. WINE supports nearly all 3.x features but it also does *many* 9x also; but not nearly all. This is why Firaxis would need to work with the open source community and/or release bits of the code. Or at least answer questions WINE developers had.

Ideally, they should make a deal with Loki so Loki could be at work during the next few years as well. CTP was released at nearly the same time, was it not?
Old June 7, 2000, 14:23   #9
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
I'm also for a decent port rather than using WINE, but it might be a temporary alternative. And as Civ3 is stil probably at least a year away, and WINE is under very active development, they might be able to get it compatible with more newer Win stuff by then.

A bunch of Win games can be, with some hacking, run more or less decently under WINE, StarCraft, Unreal, and HMM3 just to name a few. Check out a more comprehensive list at Linuxgames.com WINE page.