Old December 9, 2001, 22:53   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Modding Challenge. Ancient Advances
I have some far reaching changes to technologies etc that I'd like to suggest to any of the VERY talented modders out there in the community. I realize that some of these changes have already been suggested (or even already done), I just include it all for the sake of completion. I'll start with just the ancient tech tree. If the modders respond favourably to my ideas, then I'll proceed to Middle Ages and up.

Ancient Techs and Units:

Smelting: Prerequisites: Bronze Working.
Allows: Smithy-Improvement. Production-2. Requires Copper resource.
Leads to: Iron Working.

Woodworking: Prerequisites: None.
Allows: Wood-Strategic Resource.
Allows: Carpenters-Improvement. Production-1, requires wood to build.
Leads to: The Wheel.

Stone Crafting: Prerequisites: None.
Allows: Stone-Strategic Resource.
Allows: StoneMasons Workshop-Improvement. Production-1, requires stone to build.
Leads to: Masonry.

Military Training: Prerequisites: Warrior Code.
Allows: Military Academy-Minor Wonder. Requires 5 barracks to build.
Allows: Cohorts (3/2/2)-Unit. Like Swordsmen, except better discipline allows them to travel greater distances and retreat from most battles. Requires Iron.
Leads to: Aristocracy (with mysticism).

Cavalry Tactics: Prerequisites: Horseback Riding and Military Training.
Allows: Armoured Horsemen (2/2/2)-Unit. The introduction of the first Barding (horse armour) allows these horse units to absorb more damage. Requires Horses and Iron.

Aristocracy: Prerequisites: Mysticism and Military Training.
Allows: Villa-Improvement. Reduces Corruption and +50% tax revenue.
Leads to: Monarchy (with Polytheism) and Athenian Democracy.

Athenian Democracy: Prerequisites: Aristocracy.
Allows: Ampitheatre (Forum)-Improvement. Reduces # of cities corruption.
Allows: Parthenon-Great Wonder. Doubles effect of ampitheatres and reduces war weariness in all cities on same continent. Requires stone to build (Athenian Democracy Only).

Empire: Prerequisites: Monarchy and Map Making.
Allows: Slaves (0/0/2)-Unit. Like a worker, except cheaper to build and no maintenance cost. Requires Indigenous Population.
Allows: Slave Labour System-Minor Wonder. Gives +50% Production to all cities on same continent. Requires Indigenous Population. Expansionist characteristics.

Changes to Existing Advances:

Republic: Allows: Senate-Minor Wonder. Reduces # of cities corruption for all cities on same continent. Requires min. 5 cities to build. Expansionist characteristics (Republic Governments only).
Allows: Garrison-Improvement. Acts as police station. Militaristic characteristics.

Iron Working: Allows: Foundry-Improvement. Production-2. Requires Iron and Smithy to build.

Mathematics: Allows: Pythagoras' School-Great Wonder. 2x research.

Writing: Allows: Scribes' School-Improvement. +50% science.

Philosophy: Allows: Academy-Improvement. +50% science.
Allows: School of Socrates-Great Wonder. 2x Research.

Code of Laws: Allows: Chichen Itza-Great Wonder. Acts as couthouse in every city.

Polytheism: Allows: Valley of the Kings-Great Wonder. Reduces unhappiness by 2 in all cities on same continent. Requires Stone to build. Religious characteristics.

Pottery: Allows: Barley-Strategic Resource.

Bronze Working: Allows: Copper-Strategic Resource.

Mysticism: Allows: Opium-Luxury Resource

Monarchy: Allows: Governors Palace-Improvement. Reduces distance-based corruption.
Allows: Royal Gaurd (3/4/1)-Unit. These units are the pride of the ruling monarch, and are given the best weapons and armour to destroy the monarchs enemies (Monarchy only).

Engineering: Should be brought back to Ancient times. Allows: Sewer Channels-Improvement. Allows City Size 3. Adds to Population pollution.
Allows: Lumber Yard-Improvement. Production-2. Requires wood to build.

New Resources:

Copper: Required for building Hoplites, Spearmen, Smithy and Media Networks.

Indigenous Population: Required to build Slaves and Slave Labour System. These squares give bonus commerce.

Wood: Very common resource required for building Galleys, Frigates, Galleons and Caravels.

Stone: Common resource appearing in mountains. Required to build Great Wall, Pyramids and Valley of the Kings.

Opium: Luxury resource. Increases corruption in cities that use it.

Barley: Strategic/Bonus resource. Gives bonus food to the square it's in. Needed to build Distillery.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 13, 2001 at 18:16.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2001, 02:49   #2
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Now for Middle Ages
Middle Ages Techs:

Trade Specialities: Prerequisites: Feudalism and Engineering (Invention?)
Allows: Trade Guilds-Improvement. Production-2; +25% Tax Rate.
Obsoletes: Smithy, Carpenters, Stonemasons and Foundry.
Leads to: Education (with Theology) and Banking.

Seige Tactics: Prerequisites: Feudalism and Engineering.
Allows: Siege Tower (6/2/1)-Unit.
Allows: Ballista: (0/0/1) (6/2/1) or (7/1/1)-Unit.

Distillation: Prerequisites: Monarchy.
Allows: Distillery-Improvement: Increased Happiness; Culture. Requires Barley to Build.
Allows: Fire Catapult (0/0/1 (5/1/1))-Unit. A Catapult that throws a missile ignited by Greek fire.
Allows: Greek Fire Galley (2/1/3)-Unit. A galley that carries a catapult/ballista capable of firing ignited missiles.
Leads to: Chemistry (With Invention)

Emancipation: Prerequisites: Democracy.
Allows: Bill of Rights-Minor Wonder. Increases happiness by 2 for all cities. Cultural wonder.
Obsoletes: Slaves (Upgraded to workers) and Slave Labour System.

Altered Middle Ages Advances:

Education: Prerequisites: Theology and Trade Specializations.
Allows: Supreme Court-Minor Wonder. Reduces # of cities and distance from capital corruption
Obsoletes: Academy, Schools of Pythagoras and Socrates.

Banking: Prerequisites: Trade Specializations.

Economics: Prerequisites: Banking and Education.

Democracy: Prerequisites: Printing Press and Education.
Allows: Parliament-Minor Wonder. Reduces Distance Corruption for all cities on same continent. Produces culture. Requires minimum of 10 cities to build.
Allows: Prison-Improvement. Reduces # of cities Corruption.
Allows: Statue of Liberty-Great Wonder. Decreases War Weariness and unhappiness of all cities on same continent (Democracy Only)
Obsoletes: Senate and Garrison.

Invention: Allows: Mill-Improvement. Production-2.
Allows Artisans Quarter-Improvement. Production-1, increased luxury trade.

Chemistry: Prerequisites: Invention and Distillation.
Allows: Saltpeter-Strategic Resource.
Allows: Alchemists Lab-Improvement. +50% Science.

Feudalism: Allows: Feudal Manor House-Improvement. Increases production by +25%, increased luxary trade, causes unhappiness. (Monarchy only).

Printing Press: Allows: Printing Press-Improvement. Increases happiness in city. Produces culture.
Allows: Gutenberg Bible-Great Wonder. Continental Hapiness effects.
Obsoletes: Parthenon. Valley of the Kings.

Music Theory: Allows: Music Hall-Improvement. Increased happiness.
Allows: J.S. Bach's Cathedaral-Great Wonder. Doubles Effect of Music Halls on Same Continent.

Free Artistry: Allows: Theatre-Improvement. Increased Happiness.
Allows: Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Doubles effect of theatres on same continent.

Delete Theory of Gravity and move Newtons University to Physics.

Theology: Allows: Theocracy-Government.
Allows: Crusader (5/3/3)-Unit. The religious devotion of these "knights templar" makes them willing to undergo long and dangerous journeys and fight with zeal when they reach their destination. Requires Horses and Iron to build.
Obsoletes: Valley of the Kings.

Military Tradition: Allows: National War Memorial-Minor Wonder. Reduces War Weariness and produces culture. Requires 5 victorious land units to build.

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 13, 2001 at 19:00.
Old December 10, 2001, 08:08   #3
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 03:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
These will be greatly appreciated, some I have, some I thought of, but your list adds the extra ideas that I haven't fleshed out yet, thanx
Old December 10, 2001, 18:41   #4
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Now for the Industrial Age
Industrial Age Techs:

Fascism: Prerequisite: Nationalism.
Allows: The Geneva Convention-Great Wonder. Increases happiness in ALL cities in Civilization. Cultural Improvement.
Allows: Forced Labour Camp-"Improvement". Increases production by +50%; negative culture, causes unhappiness (Fascism and Communism Only).
Allows: Re-education Centre-"Improvement". Reduces distance and # of cities corruption and makes city less susceptible to Propaganda, negative culture and makes people unhappy (Fascism and Communism only).
Allows: War Rallies-Minor Wonder. Reduces War weariness in all cities on continent and reduces susceptibility to propaganda. Requires 5 media networks to build (Fascism and Communism only).
Allows: Stormtrooper (9/6/2)-Unit. Treats all terrain as road. These soldiers are the chief weapon in the Fascist Blitzkrieg. Using a combination of foot-soldiers, trucks and motorcycles to move around.

Geurilla Tactics: Prerequisites: Communism and Espionage.
Allows: Rebel Camps-Strategic Resource. Found only in hills, jungles and forest.
Allows: Geurillas (8/5/2)-Unit. Treats all terrain as roads. Hidden Nationality. These freedom fighters are good for harrasing the enemy as a prelude to an attack, or for attacking neigbours without drawing attention to yourself! Requires Rebel Camps and Saltpeter to build.

Labour Rights: Prerequisites: Communism and Industrialisation.
Allows: The Welfare State-Minor Wonder. Reduces # of cities corruption in all cities within your Civ. Increases happiness. Requires 5 factories to build.

Changes to existing techs:

Nationalism: Obsoletes: Crusader.

Industrialization: Obsoletes: Artisans Quarter and Guild.

Electricity: Allows: National Electricity Grid-Minor Wonder. Increases production by 50%, reduces waste. Requires 5 Power plants to build.

The Corporation: Allows: Stock Exchange-Improvement. Increases Commerce by +50%.
Steel: Allows: Eiffel Tower-Great Wonder. +50% tax and continental happiness effects.
Allows: Steel-Strategic Resource. (I know that steel is an amalgam of carbon and iron, but I thought I'd fudge it.) All post ironclad industrial age naval vessels, tanks, mech-infantry and industrial age aircraft require this to resource to be built.
Allows: Modern Foundry-Improvement. Production-2. Causes pollution. Requires steel to build.

Medicine: Allows: Hospital-Improvement. Allows City size 4.
Allows: National Health Service-Minor Wonder. Increases happiness in all cities. Requires 5 hospitals to build.

Sanitation: Allows: Sewerage Treatment Plant-Improvement. Reduces Population pollution (eliminates pollution caused by sewer channels).

Radio: Allows: United Nations-Great Wonder.
Allows: Media Network-Improvement. Reduces City Distance Corruption. Increases happiness. Requires Copper resource to build.

Refining: : Allows: Oil Refinery-Improvement. Production-2, Pollution. Requires Oil to build.

Combustion: Allows: Chemical Plant-Improvement. Production-1, Pollution. Requires Saltpeter to build.

Flight: Allows: Spirit of St. Louis-Great Wonder. +1 trade in each trade producing tile. (Represents first intercontinental flight.)

Amphibious War: Allows: Naval Shipyards-Improvement. Production-2, Pollution, Coastal.

Mass Production: Allows: Assembly line-Improvement. Production-2, Pollution.

Motorized transportation: Allows: Freeways-Improvement. +50% tax, increases luxury trade.

Refrigeration: Prerequisites: Steel and Electricity.
Allows: Supermarkets-Improvement. +25% Taxes and less waste.

Advanced Flight: Allows: Dive Bomber (3/2/1)-Unit. Can carry up to 2 torpedo units (like cruise missile, except 15/1/1). Used to kill enemy ships and ground units. (Thanks go to Korn for this idea!!)
Alternatively Allows: Dive Bomber (14/2/4)-Unit. Technically a ground unit, but treats all tiles (land and sea) as road (thus, has a true move of 12). Specialized for killing ground targets, but poor on defense.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 13, 2001 at 19:07.
Old December 10, 2001, 20:44   #5
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Last but not least-Modern Era
New Modern Techs:

Fusion Power: Prerequisites: SuperConductor and Nuclear Power.
Allows: Fusion Plant-Improvement. As Nuclear plant, but no meltdown chance and no pollution.
Allows: Thermonuclear Warhead-Unit. More powerful version of an ICBM. Requires uranium to build (for the fission trigger!) Alternative:
Allows: Deuterium-Strategic Resource. Common and available on coastal and river bank terrain (bit of a fudge). Needed to build TNW and Fusion Plants.

Changes to existing techs:

Rocketry: Allows: Tactical Nukes.
Allows: Fighter/Bomber (7/4/1)-Unit. Acts like dive bomber available with Advanced flight.

Ecology: Allows: Silica-Strategic Reource. Common resource occuring in deserts and coastal areas. Required to build Solar Plant.
Allows: Wind Farm-Improvement. Acts as Solar Plant, but requires no silica to build.
Allows: Climate Change Protocol-Minor Wonder. Reduces Building Pollution in every city on same continent.

Space Flight: Allows: ICBM's.

Computers: Allows: Attack Helicopter (24/12/4)-Unit. Treats all terrain as roads.
Allows: Internet-Minor Wonder. Increases science, happiness and reduces distance corruption. Requires 5 media networks to build.
Leads to: Robotics.

Robotics: Allows: Howitzers (0/0/1) (16/2/2)-Unit.

The Laser: Allows: Radar Artillery (0/0/1) (16/3/2) or (18/2/2)-Unit.
Allows: Microwave Transmission Tower-Improvement. Increases effectiveness of Solar plants and Nuclear Plants by +25%

Sattelites: Allows: Global Satellite network-minor wonder. Allows builder to see entire map.

New Minor Wonder: Beamed Power Station. Requires Satellites and Laser to build. Requires 5 Solar Plants to Build. Increases effectiveness of Solar Plants by +25%, counts as Solar Plant in every city. Using a combination of solar collecting sattelites and Microwave Towers, this wonder can beam power from centralized stations all across your civilization, with little power lost along the way.

Anyway, thats pretty much it for now. Later today, I hope to put in general suggestions covering all eras.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 12, 2001 at 22:27.
Old December 11, 2001, 18:50   #6
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Some general Changes
1. Downgrade Universal Sufferage to minor wonder status.

2. Increase all MP's for ground units as follows:
heavy weapons (muksets/pikes/spears): Move-2.
Early siege weapons (catapult/cannon): Move-2.
Standard foot soldiers/Artillery: Move-3.
Light infantry/heavy horsemen/chariots/Howitzers: Move-4
Light horse/knights/tanks/mech infantry/Radar Artillery: Move-5
Modern Armour/Cavalry: Move-6.
All UU's with higher movement get +1 to the their movement category.

3. Double all MP allowances for ancient/medeival ships. Triple MP's for industrial/modern age ships.

4. Give units a tech level modifier to attack and defense strength as follows:
Ancient:1X (ie. stays the same)
Ancient/Middle Ages:1.5X
Middle Ages:2X
Middle Ages/Industrial:2.5X
Industrial:3X
Indutrial/Modern:3.5X
Modern 4X.
This means that, in a dual between modern infantry and a spearman, the infantry would have stats of 18/30/3 and the spearman would only have 1/2/2. Meaning athe infantry will have a 90% chance of inflicting damage, compared to a 3.2% chance for the spearman (and, of course, on the off-chance that the spearman should inflict MAJOR damage, the infantry can now RETREAT!!!)

5. All bombardment strengths should be similarly increased. (This will of course make modern howitzers a nightmare against improvements!!)

6. Increase range of bombardment units to 2 for Middle Ages and Industrial and 3 for the modern age.

7. Make all friendly roads grant 4 MP's, and all enemy roads count as 1 MP.

Anyway, I hope these suggestions make sense, and I hope someone out there will act on them soon.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 11, 2001 at 23:17.
Old December 12, 2001, 22:37   #7
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

>>>>BUMP!!!
Old December 13, 2001, 14:07   #8
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 10:15
A veritable feast of ideas Aussie, thanks for sending them out.

A concern I have (maybe you can share your thinking) is that you have a lot of new units in the Ancient Era that go obsolete (in one case right into the Middle Ages)...what would be my reason for building them? The benefits don't outweigh the cost in this case.
Looking at the list again, I am wondering if you would want to spread out the time scale even more (more turns), this would allow a lot of your ideas to take effect, but of course the downside is the game is really long already...

K

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2001, 20:26   #9
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Kromwel,

I need some clarification, are you talking about ancient units or improvements/Wonders. If you are referring to the Wonders, then I'll admit that Feudalism was too early to obsolete Valley of the Kings and Parthenon. So I've made the neccessary changes-let me know what you think!
As for the units, I intend to have all units upgrade when they become obsolete. So armoured horsemen become knights and Cohorts become?? This is a major problem, Middle Ages seems to lack, to my mind, sufficient pre-gunpowder units!

To rectify this siutation I'm thinking of adding the following units:

Peasants: Availiable with Feudalism. Cheap to build, possibly (3/1/1) for stats. Cost 1 Pop. point to build. Obsoletesemocracy. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Conquistidors: Available with Navigation. Possible stats (4/2/1) Treats all terrain as roads. Obsoletes: Nationalism. Upgrades to Cavalry.

Condottierre: Availiable with Monotheism. Soldiers of the Pope. (3/3/1). Obsoletes: Nationalism. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Men-at-arms: Available with Chivalry. (3/4/1) or (4/3/1). Basic medieval soldiers armed with chainmail, sword and shield (possibly called Myrmidons). Obsoletes with Nationalism. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Axebearer: Available with Feudalism. (4/1/1) or (5/2/1). Soldiers wielding massive 2-handed axes quite able to take out armoured knights. Not very good at defending themselves (basically, one good swipe was ALL they got, then they were vulnerable!). Obsoletes: Metallurgy. Upgrades to Musketmen.

Move Longbow back to Engineering (and increase defense strength to 2).

Crossbowmen: Available with Invention. (5/2/1). Obsoletes: Metallurgy. Upgrades to Musketmen

New Advance: Alloys: Prerequisites: Engineering.
Allows: Forge-Improvement. Production-2. Requires Non-Ferrous Metals and Iron to build. Obsoletes with Industrialisation
Allows: Non-Ferrous Metals-Strategic Resource. Represents a miscelleny of non-precious metals mixed with iron to produce the bulk of weapons and armour of the Middle ages, which were much stronger and lighter than their ancient cousins. Is needed, with iron, to produce Condottiers, Axebearers, Pikemen, Knights (and their related UU's), men-at-arms and Conquistidores. Also required for Forge Improvement.
Leads to: Metallurgy (with Chemistry).

Anyway, please let me know what you think of these ideas and if you like them, I'll officially edit them in.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 16, 2001 at 18:29.
Old December 14, 2001, 03:54   #10
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Hi Kromwel,

I need some clarification, are you talking about ancient units or improvements/Wonders. If you are referring to the Wonders, then I'll admit that Feudalism was too early to obsolete Valley of the Kings and Parthenon. So I've made the neccessary changes-let me know what you think!
As for the units, I intend to have all units upgrade when they become obsolete. So armoured horsemen become knights and Cohorts become?? This is a major problem, Middle Ages seems to lack, to my mind, sufficient pre-gunpowder units!

To rectify this siutation I'm thinking of adding the following units:

Peasants: Availiable with Feudalism. Cheap to build, possibly (3/1/1) for stats. Cost 1 Pop. point to build. Obsoletesemocracy. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Conquistidors: Available with Navigation. Possible stats (4/2/1) Treats all terrain as roads. Obsoletes: Nationalism. Upgrades to Cavalry.

Condottierre: Availiable with Monotheism. Soldiers of the Pope. (3/3/1). Obsoletes: Metallurgy. Upgrades to Musketmen.

Men-at-arms: Available with Chivalry. (3/4/1) or (4/3/1). Basic medieval soldiers armed with chainmail, sword and shield (possibly called Myrmidons). Obsoletes with Nationalism. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Axebearer: Available with Invention. (4/1/1) or (5/2/1). Soldiers wielding massive 2-handed axes quite able to take out armoured knights. Not very good at defending themselves (basically, one good swipe was ALL they got, then they were vulnerable!). Obsoletes: Metallurgy. Upgrades to Riflemen.

Anyway, please let me know what you think of these ideas and if you like them, I'll officially edit them in.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Some nice ideas, BUT aren't there to many units... they seem to similar i think. Maybe chose Condottiere OR Man-at-Arms they are almost the same. I think the axebearers where called Helbardiers because of their pike/axe called the Helbard. I like the Conquistador and the Peasant ideas. The peasant must be really cheap, no? 10 shields?

I like your changes and ideas. Really cool
Old December 16, 2001, 18:18   #11
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hetairoi22

BUT aren't there to many units... they seem to similar i think. Maybe chose Condottiere OR Man-at-Arms they are almost the same.

You're probably right on this point, but I just thought it might add some variety!!
Actually, the big issue for me is that there are not enough units in the Ancient and Middle ages (all the focus seems to be on the Industrial/Modern age). This is dissapointing when you consider all the great battles from these early times.
Many of the units I've included here come from the many GREAT civ2 scenarios I've played (always from these eras!)

I think the axebearers were called Helbardiers because of their pike/axe called the Halbard.

Actually, the Pikeman in Civ3 represents ALL units that used Polearms-that is halberds, pikes et al. These Polearms were, with few exceptions, grossly oversized (between 4-8' in length) and could really only be used in static, defensive roles (the famous pikewalls of the late middle ages/renaissance)
The axemen I refer to weilded hefty axes, but no more than 3-4' in length. The soldiers could move with them, and they were strictly an OFFENSIVE weapon. Once they struck, it would be very difficult to get the axe into position for another blow before they were struck down. As I stated above, these units were very popular with the Anglo-Saxons in England during the reigns of Edward the Confessor and King Harold Godwinson.

I like the Conquistador and the Peasant ideas. The peasant must be really cheap, no? 10 shields?

Yes, the peasant would be VERY cheap, as there greatest cost is in lost population. I see this as pre-nationalism conscription (and it does have a strong basis in fact!!) These guys are basically cannon fodder used to wear down the opponent before bringing in your VALUABLE units!!
I like your changes and ideas. Really cool
Thank-you! I always like to get feedback on my ideas (good or bad). As I said above, this is a work in progress. So keep your eyes on this thread for more ideas as I think of them (although, I feel I'm close to the end of my endeavours).

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old December 17, 2001, 01:03   #12
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi There,

I've included an attachement of the Civ3stats.xls file appeared somewhere on this site. I've modified the tech tree to include all changes I've made to the Ancient and Middle Ages. I hope to finish the Inudtrial/Modern sometime in the next 2 days!!
Any feedback will be appreciated, and I soon hope to have all modifications done.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civstats-edit.zip (36.7 KB, 0 views)
Old December 17, 2001, 01:56   #13
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi,
I now am attaching a completley edited tech tree, as I said above, all suggestions and comments will be welcomed.

EDIT: I've updated the CivStats Edit Folder with a corrected tech tree (saw a number of errors in the print out!). I've also added in all the stats for my standard improvements! I hope that, by tommorrow, I'll have small and great wonders complete as well.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civstats-edit.zip (37.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 18, 2001 at 01:24.
Old December 17, 2001, 09:39   #14
hetairoi22
Warlord

Could you make a table o' techs in Word format? I don't have excel... Thanx.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:16   #15
hetairoi22
Warlord

A problem with so many changes and Civ3 is that Civ3s editor has no Add buttons and the science advisor screens haven't got room for many techs, at ALL. It would also be really hard to add them because adjusments to the techtree (even small ones) make the science advisor screens quite buggy: The lines between techs don't match etc.

I love your ideas, it not that, but it would be very hard to make those changes with the current tools. There aren't many new graphics out either...

Regards,

H22
Old December 17, 2001, 11:30   #16
hetairoi22
Warlord

Re: Modding Challenge. Ancient Advances
Quote:
I have some far reaching changes to technologies etc that I'd like to suggest to any of the VERY talented modders out there in the community. I realize that some of these changes have already been suggested (or even already done), I just include it all for the sake of completion. I'll start with just the ancient tech tree. If the modders respond favourably to my ideas, then I'll proceed to Middle Ages and up.

Ancient Techs and Units:

Smelting: Prerequisites: Bronze Working.
Allows: Smithy-Improvement. Production-2. Requires Copper resource.
Leads to: Iron Working.

Woodworking: Prerequisites: None.
Allows: Wood-Strategic Resource.
Allows: Carpenters-Improvement. Production-1, requires wood to build.
Leads to: The Wheel.

Stone Crafting: Prerequisites: None.
Allows: Stone-Strategic Resource.
Allows: StoneMasons Workshop-Improvement. Production-1, requires stone to build.
Leads to: Masonry.

Engineering: Allows: Lumber Yard-Improvement. Production-2. Requires wood to build.

Iron Working: Allows: Foundry-Improvement. Production-2. Requires Iron and Smithy to build.
I think adding the above techs would complicate things alot... And wouldn't the production bonus be to big? If you build them all you get +100%. Have you suggested three so that if you haven't got stone and copper f.x. you could still get bonus production? I still think these techs are pretty useless though...

Quote:
Military Training: Prerequisites: Warrior Code.
Allows: Military Academy-Minor Wonder. Requires 5 barracks to build.
Allows: Cohorts (3/2/2)-Unit. Like Swordsmen, except better discipline allows them to travel greater distances and retreat from most battles. Requires Iron.
Leads to: Aristocracy (with mysticism).

Cavalry Tactics: Prerequisites: Horseback Riding and Military Training.
Allows: Armoured Horsemen (2/2/2)-Unit. The introduction of the first Barding (horse armour) allows these horse units to absorb more damage. Requires Horses and Iron.
I really like these ideas, though. They add diversity, BUT maybe Military Training should come just a little bit later, after Iron Working or something. So that you get it after Swordsmen? That would be better (IMHO).

Quote:
Aristocracy: Prerequisites: Mysticism and Military Training.
Allows: Villa-Improvement. Reduces Corruption and +50% tax revenue.
Leads to: Monarchy (with Polytheism) and Athenian Democracy.
What's the "Villa" suposed to represent? It's name seems a little bit un-ancient IMO.

Quote:
Athenian Democracy: Prerequisites: Aristocracy.
Allows: Ampitheatre (Forum)-Improvement. Reduces # of cities corruption.
Allows: Parthenon-Great Wonder. Doubles effect of ampitheatres and reduces war weariness in all cities on same continent. Requires stone to build (Athenian Democracy Only).
I love this one! Cool.

Quote:
Empire: Prerequisites: Monarchy and Map Making.
Allows: Slaves (0/0/2)-Unit. Like a worker, except cheaper to build and no maintenance cost. Requires Indigenous Population.
Allows: Slave Labour System-Minor Wonder. Gives +50% Production to all cities on same continent. Requires Indigenous Population. Expansionist characteristics.
I'd call this tech Imperialism. Many civs have had an empire, but Imperialism is more a way a civ "lives". If it is Imperialistic, it wants to take land and people by force, which i think is what you mean (With slaves and all).

Quote:
Changes to Existing Advances:

Republic: Allows: Senate-Minor Wonder. Reduces # of cities corruption for all cities on same continent. Requires min. 5 cities to build. Expansionist characteristics (Republic Governments only).
Allows: Garrison-Improvement. Acts as police station. Militaristic characteristics.

Monarchy: Allows: Governors Palace-Improvement. Reduces distance-based corruption.
Allows: Royal Gaurd (3/4/1)-Unit. These units are the pride of the ruling monarch, and are given the best weapons and armour to destroy the monarchs enemies (Monarchy only).
Hmm. I like these govt. specific minor-wonders, but I think you could decrease the number of minor wonders overall. I think there are to many... to confusing.

Quote:
Mathematics: Allows: Pythagoras' School-Great Wonder. 2x research.

Philosophy: Allows: Academy-Improvement. +50% science.
Allows: School of Socrates-Great Wonder. 2x Research.

Writing: Allows: Scribes' School-Improvement. +50% science.
Isn't it to much with two science wonder? I think the Academy should have a high cost. Mayeb more than shields and maintenance? Like 4 science specialists?

Quote:
Pottery: Allows: Barley-Strategic Resource.

Bronze Working: Allows: Copper-Strategic Resource.

Mysticism: Allows: Opium-Luxury Resource
I don't think you should have the Barley resource, there are so many already. Maybe the destillery should require no resources? Or barley could be a luxury?

Quote:
Engineering: Should be brought back to Ancient times. Allows: Sewer Channels-Improvement. Allows City Size 3. Adds to Population pollution.
Allows: Lumber Yard-Improvement. Production-2. Requires wood to build.
I like this resource! Sewer Cs should allow city size 4-5? So you could grow just a little bit more? Another name would be the "Qanat" which is the name of old middle-eastern sewers.

Quote:
New Resources:

Indigenous Population: Required to build Slaves and Slave Labour System. These squares give bonus commerce.
Maybe you should use captured workers instead?

Quote:
Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Nice ideas! Keep up the good work!

Regards,

H22
Old December 17, 2001, 22:38   #17
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Again,

I don't see any problem with increasing production levels a little bit! As you've already mentioned, you'd need all of these resources to be under your control, and they do expire reasonably quickly!!
As for the increased research levels granted by the added improvements and Great wonders, 2 things:

1) Academy requires a school of scribes (I think) or a library in order to build it!

2) Being Great Wonders, it's unlikely you'll be able to get your hand on BOTH the Pytagoras and Socrates schools!!

3) Like the Production improvements, they don't have a very long time before they expire!!

In many cases, I've added improvements or Wonders to an Advance in order to make an otherwise "boring" stepping stone advance, into something worth getting!! (eg. The Valley of the Kings Wonder for Polytheism)

Villas refer to the very sumptuous country estates owned by the aristocrats of Classical civilizations like Athens and Rome. These estates were worked by literally hundreds of both slave and free labourers (hence the production bonus)
hope that clears things up for you!

I've chosen to have Indigenous Population as a strategic resource to represent the many Small tribes that dotted the landscape during the times of the great Classical and Medieval empires! You can already capture workers from rival Civs, but I decided to add a new dimension to the Slavery issue (it DID happen, after all). It's much the same as the Minor Tribes in the Goody Huts!!

You mentioned an inability to add new items to the tech tree et al. Have you tried using the Hacked Civ3 Editor and related programs that you can find in the Files section of this forum. According to the real prolific Modders in this community it works great, and gives you almost limetless ability to add to the game (or so I've heard!)

Anyway, I hope that explains things for you!

Yours,
Marcus Hicks

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 17, 2001 at 22:47.
Old December 18, 2001, 23:05   #18
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Hiya Aussie! Just a note here to let you know that I linked my Mod-Making thread over in the general section (where I'm soliciting for ideas) to yours here because it contains....well...a WEALTH of excellent and well-considered ideas (sadly, with the limited number of open tech slots we have available to us, there are too many techs listed here to be able to include them all, but I must say, I"m impressed by all of them!)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I saw this thread, and invite you over to mine in the general section to possibly participate in our discussions there.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2001, 23:30   #19
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Vel,

I should confess from the outset that I do not have the game, but owe all my ideas to reading these forums (especially Creation and Files), as well as the Civ3Stats resource!!

I'm saddened to hear about the lack of additional tech slots. I just counted the number of additional techs and counted 19!! (8 in Ancient, 5 in Middle Ages, 5 in Industrial and 1 in the Modern!!)

Is this tech problem even with the Civ3Copy tool posted on this forum (the hacked one), if not, maybe there's still hope!

If you could let me know how many extra techs the game can support I may be able to modify the tech tree accordingly.

I'd most likely move Fascism into Nationalism as a government option (and have The Geneva Convention and Stormtrooper under that tech), and move labour camps to communism.

I could move geurillas into espionage (and remove Geurilla tactics as a tech).

I could remove stonecrafting from the tech tree. as well as Classical Democracy (moving the improvements and government to Aristocracy).

I could remove Siege tactics and move the units and improvements into Feudalism, and also remove distillation as a seperate tech. That brings the total down to 13 (I think). Let me know if this is possible!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old December 19, 2001, 13:48   #20
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Ahhh....so close! ::sigh::

So far, in our mod-work, we've "spent" 4 of the 11 tech slots, but made the preliminary decision to ditch "physics" as a tech, adding one back into the mix. So....we've got 8 slots left.

I'm a little torn, too....initially, I wanted to spend at least four of our tech slots on the modern era to flesh it out a bit, given the relatively scant number of techs currently there, but once I saw what you were able to do in the early game, I was really impressed with it! (so now I find myself thinking that perhaps the bulk of our efforts ought to be spent in the three eras that constitute the bulk of the game and sorta let the Modern era do what it will.....

Have a look at our thread and see where we're going with our mod....I'd love to work as many of your *outstanding* ideas in as I can!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2001, 15:15   #21
darkangel
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Excellent ideas!

I was toying around with several of them but came to the conclusion the game in its current state cannot support a major rework. I had pretty much shelved the ideas. Then I found your post. It gave me the warm fuzzies!

Currently I’m working on city and leader name lists for all Civ’s as well as remaking the wonder images and testing some Government mods.

I really want to get involved in a major project but I have yet to find one that is all inclusive with focused and devoted (as well as talented) members with a timetable and all that good stuff.

I will check out Velociryx thread and if he and his team are going to incorperate most if not try to get it all into his efforts I will offer my services to his team.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2001, 18:55   #22
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Vel,

O.K, after much soul searching, I think I've come up with the tech answer.
First of all, as you'll see above, I've already decided to ditch Theory of Gravity, which I feel is TOTALLY SUPERFLUOUS (as it is really a part of Physics), and have moved Newtons University to Physics-so we, in fact, have 12 free slots!!

I have also decided to remove the following techs:

Ancient: Woodworking (Move Carpenters and wood resource to: the wheel), StoneCrafting (slightly superfluous, due to Masonry tech-where I've moved stonemasons and stone resource), Cavalry tactics (moved heavy horsemen to military training). On a side note, I've decided to add the government: Dictatorship, as an option for the Republic advance (wise when you consider that the Roman Republic granted Caesar the title of Dictator, and many modern dictatorships call themselves Republics). I've also decided to add the Minor Wonder: Martial Law under Republic as well, this wonder will reduce corruption, as well as doubling the effectiveness of existing corruption reducing improvements (courthouses, prisons, garrisons etc.) The cost is an increase in unhappiness and a decrease in culture.

Middle Ages: Siege Tactics and Distillation (moved Distillary, Fire Catapult and Fire Galley to Trade Specs, Ballista to Invention and Siege Tower to Engineering).

Industrial Age: Geurilla Tactics (move geurillas and rebel camps to Espionage) and Refrigeration (move Supermarkets to electricity or steel).

Modern: Fusion Power (move Fusion Plant and Deuterium to Superconductor)

That leaves us with a grand total of 11 new techs which leaves us with 1 fresh slot to fill (thanks to no TOG), I'm tempted to put back either woodworking, distillation or refrigeration, but I'm not sure which we should do! I still don't understand why they have such an ODD number?! I mean why not 12 techs instead of 11???

Anyway, let me know what you think, and then I can adjust the tech tree accordingly!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.

Last edited by The_Aussie_Lurker; December 19, 2001 at 19:19.
Old December 23, 2001, 18:14   #23
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

>>>>Bump!!!!