Old December 15, 2001, 01:44   #211
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Goto City (CTRL+SHFT+G) SUCKS!
Ever play a huge game and try to use ctrl+shift+g? DONT!. If you have too many citys they dont all get displayed and you HAVE to choose a city to leave the dialog box. Can we PAPAPA PLEASE!! have a drop-down menu!

Also a find city (maybe integrated in the same dialog) function would be much appreciated.

Another stickler, in any dialog involving giving/taking/choosing citys it would be nice to be able at least to show the citys location of the city. If not "known" info about the city.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old December 15, 2001, 03:10   #212
ak
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:17
haven't had time to see if anyone else posted this, but in the Military Advisor, when I point to a unit to check it's location in the mini-map it works for the first few turns after I load Civ for a playing session, but the crosshairs disappear after a few turns of play. If I reboot the computer, it's works again for only a few turns.

I have a 733mhz with 128 ram and Win98. I am running some Norton stuff and ZoneAlarm in the background. This probably has something to do with it but it's a real pain to have to unload them each time I want to start a new Civ session. I am wondering if going to 256 ram will solve the problem.

Hmm, I'm wondering if a virtual memory tweak would work.
Old December 15, 2001, 04:48   #213
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 19:17
Civs at War not showing in Foreign Advisor Screen
I've read through this thread and I think this may have been addressed. I'm writing because I'm not sure.

I've noticed the computer attacking each other but there is no declaration of war. So there is no line showing which civs are at war. Only when I am at war does it show up only for the civ I am at war with.

I'm pleased with everything else in the patch, especially now that galleys cannot cross the ocean without the large possibility of sinking. In my current game I didn't encounter another civ until around 1200 since I was isolated on an island. Lots of fun to play.
Old December 15, 2001, 06:00   #214
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Re: Civs at War not showing in Foreign Advisor Screen
Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis
I've read through this thread and I think this may have been addressed. I'm writing because I'm not sure.

I've noticed the computer attacking each other but there is no declaration of war. So there is no line showing which civs are at war. Only when I am at war does it show up only for the civ I am at war with.

I'm pleased with everything else in the patch, especially now that galleys cannot cross the ocean without the large possibility of sinking. In my current game I didn't encounter another civ until around 1200 since I was isolated on an island. Lots of fun to play.
Do you have an embassy?
Old December 15, 2001, 10:11   #215
voodoochile
Settler

Local Time: 13:17
Scientific advance bonus broken??
This may be a bug; it's definitely wierd.

I'm playing on a huge random map as the Greeks. Regent difficulty level. I'm leading in techs and just reached the industrial age. However, instead of getting two free advances like I'm supposed to, this funky thing happened.

The first box popped up saying that I now know Nationalism, but instead of the second one telling me I got Steam Power or Medicine or something, it tells me that I've learned WRITING. Writing?! Umm... yeah. Thanks.

So anyway, I only got one advancement at the start of the Industrial era. Unfortunately, I don't have a saved game to prove it. Anyone else seen this?
Old December 15, 2001, 13:35   #216
Nexus VI
Settler

Old Units and Power Plants
I'm sorry if someone has already wrote about this but the post has become pretty too long to read it all.

I've noticed that late in the game old units like Galleys, Privateers, Swordsmen and so on, don't disappear when extremely modern units are available. I mean, if I can build Modern Armors I shouldn't be able to build Swordsmen anymore.

I know some units have peculiars abilities, but the units/improvements list during modern ages is huge and chaotic and removing old units is necessary.

The other problem is similar. The first kind of power plant is the one which works with coal. When other kind of power plants become available, one can choose wether to build a coal, a nuclear, a hydro or a solar power plant. Well, if I choose to build a Solar Plant, the other kind of plants remain in the improvements list. Actually they should disappear. If someone want to build a different power plant it should sell the plant in the city and then re-select a plant in the list.

The last thing I'd like to write about is the bombardment aspect. I believe that units capable of bombarding should be able to kill stacked units and not only wound them. Maybe the chance must be low, but there must be a chance. People did die for bombadment. Even armors use big explosive shells that are similar to artillery bombs.

This is all for now.
Old December 15, 2001, 14:50   #217
woody
Warlord

Suggestion for bug list
I have read through this thread, and I must say that many of the people posting bugs are completely clueless. There are simply too many errors, caused by careless people who feel they have to announce every thing they disagree with as a bug. Instead, they should RTFM before posting bug reports.

Can a moderator start a top-locked thread for posting bug reports, but moderate the thread so that a useful bug list is created? Eliminate posts from people just complaining. Bugs should be verified by someone who knows the game and knows what they are doing. Only after a bug is verified, it should be posted to the master list.

If we want Firaxis to fix the bugs, we have to provide them a useful list of verified bugs. Currently, this list is ridiculous. If I was working for Firaxis, I'd quickly stop reading here.

Let's help Firaxis get the bugs fixed.
Old December 15, 2001, 17:51   #218
randomturn
Prince

Sorry if already posted; thread too long to read thru.

The trading system had a few anomalies before the patch and the patch has noticeably increased them. It just makes no sens at all and detracts from game play if other nations are willing to make a trade and then become less likely or refuse outright to make the trade if I improve my side (if I offer money or a map for instance). Sometimes you'll be pretty close to making a trade and you add a sweetener of another category and all of a sudden he won't trade. Sometimes you ask "what will you give me for X?" and they offer, for example 5 gole/turn and 40 gold. You try to increase it to 41 gold (they have 100 in treasury) and now he would "never" agree. so you change it back to 40 -- the original terms! -- and he would still "never agree." This kind of stuff is just crazy and must be fixed.
Old December 15, 2001, 18:46   #219
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

To follow up my previous post. I do not have an embassy in all the civs. Would this result in not seeing the war lines? I see the peace, trade embargo, right of passage, etc. without an embassy. Does it matter only to observe who is at war with who that I need an embassy?
Old December 15, 2001, 19:31   #220
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Problem with loadbox
The bottom line doesn't show post-patch.

Note: I have 100+ savefiles, but I had the same amount of files before the patch, and never had this problem.

If I go to another directory, and back again I can scroll down more. Then are the lines broken up earlier as well. (If the Filename excluding .SAV is bigger the the area instead of something else)
Old December 15, 2001, 19:32   #221
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Forgot to attach the image
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	loadbug.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	7719  
Old December 15, 2001, 20:57   #222
electro
Settler

I dont know if Iam the only one having theese bugs but anyway
Big bug:
1. If you running large map with lot of civs only a few will show up on foreign adivsor screen.
2. Increase attack/defense ratio for better units. A pikeman against a tank wouldnt win
3. Auto workers make strange improvments... should they not try to improve land that acutally being used by the cities(exepct connecting them by roads) and not starting irrogating land in totaly nowere.

Small bugs:
1. If you run without animantions after you have walked with the unit it might be turned the wrong way. If I looking south on a railway and go north out on a plain it will still look south.
2. If you load a game there has to be a total stop after the name/year sign since maybe you would like an automated/goingto unit to do something other.

Change:
1. Takeback lighthouse wonder to what it was. Now its lousy again.
2. If you have moving a unit a long way and you have an barbarian spoted in its next-next square dont let it automatically move in there(since it will be killed)
3. The sentry command would be nice to have back

I wonder if the starting positions can be made better. It seems that there is always one or two very lucky civs that always have unlimited expansion area and a lot of resources.
And a good sugestion
Wouldn't it be nice that you could select a certain unittype in a certain mode(fortifyd-none-a.s.o) at the visible screen( or on the holecontinent or the hole planet) by using ctrl+click and then send a command to all selected units do certain stuff like walk to a certain square. In other words another type of unit grouping.

Last edited by electro; December 15, 2001 at 21:45.
Old December 15, 2001, 23:07   #223
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 12:17
Minor crash bug that ive encountered twice since the patch. Both times I had an activated warrior in a city, and double clicked on it by accident in an attempt to skip to the city. Both times it brought up the illegal operation box and closed the game

I am using the newer patch. Windows ME on an athlon 1200 system using a voodoo5 card.
Old December 15, 2001, 23:29   #224
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 11:17
My quick list
This thread is really unwieldy. to try and read through and find out if the bugs you are reporting have been reported is absurd.
That's a bug in this thread, not in civ3

anyway....

the missing resource
someone else reported this with Iron. I discovered steam power and my trade advisor says I have 1 coal somewhere. I used ctrl-shft-m and could not find the coal supposedly in my borders anywhere! but I still have it in my city boxes and can build railroads and stuff.

non working harbors?
I was at the bottom of the continent, and sent a settler to colonize the north end to take advantage of some spices. founded a city, built a harbor, built roads to the spices, already had a harbor in a connected city in the south. all my cities start enjoying the benefits of spice. all is well. EXCEPT one turn the spices disappear from my cities. my trade advisor says the northern city is unconnected and that I need an OVERLAND TRADE ROUTE??? they're still connected by harbor, so what gives? I saved and quit, then reloaded and it was working fine.

in the readme, not in the game
borders over jungles and forests are still invisible

that's all for now. if I find more, I'll post it.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old December 16, 2001, 04:18   #225
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 10:17
Re: Missing Resource
Quote:
the missing resource
someone else reported this with Iron. I discovered steam power and my trade advisor says I have 1 coal somewhere. I used ctrl-shft-m and could not find the coal supposedly in my borders anywhere! but I still have it in my city boxes and can build railroads and stuff.
Coal hides better than any other resource due to it's graphic. This probably explains those posts of people saying, "there is no coal anywhere on my huge map."

Next time, move your mouse over the coal image (or missing resource) when you're in the Trade Advisor Screen. It will say, "Near SomeCityName". Then look there.
Old December 16, 2001, 04:39   #226
PN
Prince

Direct X v8.1 on Win 98/ME and instability
I have a very unstable game with frequent crashes and corrupt save game files, more so after the patch than before. I've read elsewhere that some other games are having stability problemswith DirectX v8.1 on Win 9x/ME (which is my config.), but OK with Direct X v8.1 on Win 2K onwards. Do Firaxis have any views on this please?

While it is possible (but not supported by MS) to uninstall DirectX back to an earlier version, I don't really want to try it unless I have to so would appreciate some views from the developers.
Old December 16, 2001, 04:51   #227
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by electro
Big bug:
1. If you running large map with lot of civs only a few will show up on foreign adivsor screen.
This is not a bug. The screen only show 7 opponents. To change one: Shift + right-click on the head.

Also you shall know that this thread only is for new bugs, or bugs that should have been fixed, but are not. You should at least read the FIRST post of a thread before posting in it. I can understand I you don't bother to read the other posts, but to ignore the first post
Old December 16, 2001, 05:36   #228
[LordLMP]

I don't if this is already said........ but i suggest people starting NEW Games after installing the patch, not continue a saved game base on the old patch. I experience few problems continue a saved game, but after i started a new one under the new patch, worked fine and haven't experience any problems you people are suffering.

also, i am able to keep up with the AI's rate of expansion and pumping out units quite well.... don't know why people see the AI cheating? As for corruption, i don't have much problem with it... depending how i play i guess?

does people even bother to built temples ASAP and use entertainers?

yes of course, depends on difficulty too..... but I don't think the AI is cheating...just very efficient and the advantage of seeing all at the same time... where we humans only see in part or few at a time on our monitor.

right now, i am not playing a crazy expansionist like the AI, yet still end up superior culturally, technologicly and etc.....

-LMP

Old December 16, 2001, 06:37   #229
Peets
Warlord

I installed the patch today... I was worried with all those bug listed here that the game would suck.
Now that I have installed the game... I love the game more now.
I don't have any of those bugs you guys are supposed to have.
Maybe it are just settings of your computer that is bad. I don't think that is the fault of the designers. They just should have brought the req. for this game higher then.

Also most of the bugs you guys say are not bugs but that's how the game is.

Patch is great
Old December 16, 2001, 06:55   #230
woody
Warlord

Below is an example of the kind of idiot that should not be posting to this thread...

Quote:
Big bug:
Shift-right-click. It's in the readme file.

Quote:
2. Increase attack/defense ratio for better units. A pikeman against a tank wouldnt win
Loser. If you want an unbalanced game, go play Civ2.

Quote:
3. Auto workers make strange improvments... should they not try to improve land that acutally being used by the cities(exepct connecting them by roads) and not starting irrogating land in totaly nowere.
RTFM. It's on page 197.

Quote:
Small bugs:
1. If you run without animantions after you have walked with the unit it might be turned the wrong way. If I looking south on a railway and go north out on a plain it will still look south.
Oh, my God! What a game-breaker! Play with animations on, if you can't stand the stationary graphics. Jeez!

Quote:
2. If you load a game there has to be a total stop after the name/year sign since maybe you would like an automated/goingto unit to do something other.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. No doubt, it's something trivial, irrelevant, or completely wrong.

Quote:
Change:
1. Takeback lighthouse wonder to what it was. Now its lousy again.
Oh, now you want them to UNfix bugs?!?

Quote:
2. If you have moving a unit a long way and you have an barbarian spoted in its next-next square dont let it automatically move in there(since it will be killed)
It's in the game preferences.

Quote:
3. The sentry command would be nice to have back
That's about the only useful thing you said. Too bad it has already been said a million times by other people.

I'm sorry if this post sounds harsh, but I'm getting tired of reading stuff from people who seriously need to find a clue.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:01   #231
electro
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by woody

RTFM. It's on page 197.
Well... it still a bug since a hade water source 1square from the city and my worker went away 10squars into enemy land to start irrogating from there.

By the way woody. You should take a lesson in netiquet. Whats your point flaming an post if you dont give any new good stuff except just flames.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:03   #232
Peets
Warlord

Quote:

Well... it still a bug since a hade water source 1square from the city and my worker went away 10squars into enemy land to start irrogating from there.

By the way woody. You should take a lesson in netiquet. Whats your point flaming an post if you dont give any new good stuff except just flames.
I'm lost here

He did gave a lot of good stuff, only you don't know it?
Old December 16, 2001, 08:03   #233
electro
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

This is not a bug. The screen only show 7 opponents. To change one: Shift + right-click on the head.

Also you shall know that this thread only is for new bugs, or bugs that should have been fixed, but are not. You should at least read the FIRST post of a thread before posting in it. I can understand I you don't bother to read the other posts, but to ignore the first post
Sorry about that should have rememberd that it was only new "bugs" in the patch that should be posted.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:05   #234
electro
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Peets

I'm lost here

He did gave a lot of good stuff, only you don't know it?
to call someone an idiot because he has a diffenrent point of view than himself is a bad thing
Old December 16, 2001, 09:20   #235
Desert Dog
Warlord

Re: Suggestion for bug list huh?
Quote:
Originally posted by woody
I have read through this thread, and I must say that many of the people posting bugs are completely clueless. There are simply too many errors, caused by careless people who feel they have to announce every thing they disagree with as a bug. Instead, they should RTFM before posting bug reports.

Can a moderator start a top-locked thread for posting bug reports, but moderate the thread so that a useful bug list is created? Eliminate posts from people just complaining. Bugs should be verified by someone who knows the game and knows what they are doing. Only after a bug is verified, it should be posted to the master list.

If we want Firaxis to fix the bugs, we have to provide them a useful list of verified bugs. Currently, this list is ridiculous. If I was working for Firaxis, I'd quickly stop reading here.

Let's help Firaxis get the bugs fixed.
Look You are so off base pal it isn't even funny! There are REAL BUGS that are totally annoying or worse yet crash the game. The new patch adds to the crash problem when playing large maps especially. What we need is people that are not having major problems (due to play style or whatever) should shut up and wait to see how many complain of same issue.
I will agree many (including myself) are complaining of issues about the game they do not agree with. I do not call these bugs I call it stupid programming. What you are witnessing is a bunch of pissed off people who expected "QUALITY" product and sequel from Firaxis (especially a Civ title from Sid supposely!). We do need a list but we also need Firaxis to ackknowledge the problems they think they have a great game. Even the ratings are not real totally over blown, maybe paid advertising!
I seriously doubt (even though I really want) they will supply a good patch to make the game worthy to be called Civ 3. Currently it is using basically the (horrible) CTP shell. Yet it is not even good enough to surpass the flop series Call To Power.
I frankly am tired of everyone you is upset by all of us who are disappointed. The game is riddled with bugs releasing when they did was not right. It was a money thing I found out it was not even 90% complete when released. Relying on a patch to fix it later that made the game worse. Get real and stop riding every one for something they have a right to say!

Desert Dog
Old December 16, 2001, 10:15   #236
Peets
Warlord

Well, if we don't talk then Firaxis will think that the bugs is for everyone.
I haven't crashed with civ3. I play civ3, check mails, use ICQ all on the same time and it still doesn't crash. And I do this for 5 hours on a row!

I have two pc, one very awesome one and another one which is like most of you guys have. Both have no problems...
Maybe because I keep both pc's in a good maintaince...
Do not always think that the game is wrong, maybe it's your pc who is causing those bugs...
Old December 16, 2001, 11:32   #237
woody
Warlord

Quote:

Oh, you want to automate for only the local city. Then RTFM, also page 197. Since you seem illiterate, the keystroke is -I.

Quote:
What p|sses me off about people like you, is that you have the audacity to complain about "bugs" when it's very clear you never even read the manual! Almost everything you complained about is clearly documented. You just refuse to read. Why don't you shut up for awhile and use the extra time to read the manual?

That said, Firaxis could make their (and our) lives a lot easier if they'd put together a FAQ listing all the known bugs. Also, they should have a list of features that newbies often mistake for "bugs", along with how to use the feature (like a keyboard shortcut).

I swear I'm going to explode if I read the same stupid question for the 20th time in a row!
Old December 16, 2001, 13:37   #238
Desert Dog
Warlord

PC is not the problem!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peets
Well, if we don't talk then Firaxis will think that the bugs is for everyone.
I haven't crashed with civ3. I play civ3, check mails, use ICQ all on the same time and it still doesn't crash. And I do this for 5 hours on a row!

I have two pc, one very awesome one and another one which is like most of you guys have. Both have no problems...
Maybe because I keep both pc's in a good maintaince...
Do not always think that the game is wrong, maybe it's your pc who is causing those bugs...
All of you trying to say the computer or the person using the PC is the problem forget it! I build computers for a living I know what I am doing hardware wise. (Probably much more then most of you!) I have a high end PC with the latest greatest hardware. ( have a Radeon Vid card because I use the tuner for TV. It performs as well as the GEForce2. )
The problem is with the game itself not people's computers. Give it a rest will you. Way too many people are complaining. I have about 30 customers who bought the game. All of them are having trouble with the game. I calls all the time from most of the them for help. In fact everyone of them are having different problems. This only proves that the coding and error trapping in the game was very poor. If it was good code it would be the same type of bugs being reported. I have worked close with game companies on another PC platform in the past. I know how they work and the ones I know told me the real scoop. Enough of the crap blaming the person rather then the company and its programmers. Sid lost his good guys, he had to revert to this crew by subcontract where do you think Infrogames Interactive came from Sid was broke needed the cash, counting on patch to bail it out. Paying off reviewers is what surprises me! I mean I can not imagine anything else.

Desert Dog
Old December 16, 2001, 14:17   #239
Peets
Warlord

The gods must love me, still no bugs
Old December 16, 2001, 15:12   #240
samsmithnz
Chieftain

I've already posted once about the lines STILL disappearing in the foreign advisor, but i jsut wanted to confirm that this still does defintely happen, i have to quit the game and reload to get them back again.

Also I've had a couple of crashes, is of any use to you guys to have a debug report? I have Visual C++ and when it crashes i can choose to debug, I could save this memory dump and send it to you if it's of any use to you.

Keep up the good work, i'm really enjoying this game!