Old December 10, 2001, 18:02   #1
hurdygurdy
Settler

Local Time: 12:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MULTIPLAYER: Open Network Protocol, Please
It is my hope that when the multiplayer version of Civilization III is released, Firaxis will release the network protocol that is used. This includes challenge/response, packet formats, message formats, handshaking, checksums, etc. In addition, I ask that complete "player-observable" data be accessible over the network. Obviously, the client shouldn't receive any data that shouldn't be known to the human player. Otherwise, players will write a network layer between the networking stack and the game and get privileged information.

Why? Client-side AI's. You don't need a GUI to write a client-side AI, but you do need all of the above. If there is an option (or could be an option) to enable viewing the entire map when playing as human, then it would be a piece of cake (though AI only play would be best with the human as an observer).

Eventually, I guess, the packets will be decoded by the community if Firaxis doesn't release the protocol. This happens again and again with other games, and I would like to avoid it. It is my hope that the developers of Civ III will aid would-be AI developers and save us the time and energy taking apart the protocol.

Cheers,
/hg

P.S. As an aside, saved multiplayer games should only save the local players data during a "Save Game". Then, all players must be present to restart. It curtails cheating. This is only part of it, though. Without excellent protection, it can kill any hopes of having a long-term Civ multipplayer game.