Old June 7, 2000, 09:55   #1
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Shore Batteries
Has this been brought up before? One of the good things about CTP, was that the zones of control extended into the ocean.

As a tile improvement, shore batteries could be placed for defense and to deter a buildup of naval forces.

And if the ZOC extend into the sea in Civ3, then this could bring another aspect of game play. If a Civ refuses to withdraw vessels from your territory, you could open fire on them, without causing a general war. It would be the same concept as when the Soviet Union shot down the U2, or when Japan fires on North Korean fishing boats.

While we're here, a whole set of defensive tile improvements could be introduced. SAM sites, radar (like CTP), etc.
Old June 7, 2000, 17:36   #2
Spekter@Home

I agree. It always bugged me that someone you had an unfriendly treaty with could blockade one of your cities and there was nothing you could do to stop them short of starting a full on war.

------------------
"We are all greater artists than we realize."
-Nietzsche
[This message has been edited by Spekter@Home (edited June 07, 2000).]

Old June 7, 2000, 23:11   #3
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:22
I would like to just build military bases that automatically put up shore batteries, land batteries/bunkers/sam sites and give bonuses to your units. Maybe to cut on micro. Just my 2 cents, building them is fine too though.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
Old June 8, 2000, 16:28   #4
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 20:22
That would be very cool. An all-in-one improvement.
Old June 9, 2000, 03:36   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I guess when you said ZOC you meant "city squares."
Old June 9, 2000, 04:34   #6
Grier
Warlord

Local Time: 00:22
Its a nice idea, though even if its not included then Borders and decent diplomacy should eradicate the problem.
Old June 9, 2000, 07:22   #7
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
I agree with Grier - blockade problems should be fixed with some sort of a borders system. But if it's not, maybe instead of having a tile improvement of shore batteries (which makes the game too complex), the old coastal fortress from civ2 that I never used anyway could have its functions extended to exert some sort of influence on neighbouring sea squares. So if a enemy/semi-friendly ship ended up in the influence-zone of a coastal fortress, the coastal fortress could either directly fire at the ship or just politely expel it like you would expel a diplomat.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 9, 2000, 16:31   #8
Spekter@Home

That's what I was thinking too. You'd want to do the same thing with SAM Batteries. Aircraft parked within a city's radius (even if you didn't actually attack the city and were simply trying to pass through enemy airspace) should be subject to SAM attack.

Old June 9, 2000, 19:14   #9
Napoleon I
Chieftain

I would have to agree with UltraSonix and say that it would be reasonable to simply add this function to an already existing tile improvement such as a fortress or a coastal fortress. By the way if you ever looked inside your city in CivII the coastal fortress looks exactly like a shore battery .
Old June 10, 2000, 16:41   #10
Spekter@Home

Looks like, yeah; acts like, no.

Old June 10, 2000, 22:14   #11
Par4
King

Yes well, I like my military bases idea and it is assumed in Civ that all cities have military bases. Units can reside in cities, repair, cities have walls and defenses. But to defend the country side use bases!! Another shameless self promotion of my idea by me

Military bases, expensive, can repair and have airfield for planes. Effective range grows as does base is near people or something, or has more units. That range gives the area SAMs and Ground and Shore batteries affect battles and enemy units. Defenses come at no cost and can be destroyed but come back after a couple of turns if no enemy units in the hex and base still there.

edit: city bases have to be upgraded from repiar centers to SAM ground and shore defenses with improvements. Country bases can be upgraded from military screen.
------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
[This message has been edited by Par4 (edited June 10, 2000).]