Old December 11, 2001, 22:01   #1
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I need some GENERAL TIPS AND Q&A
Hi, I am looking for the following answers and any other neat tips and tricks of things you can do in Civ3. Even if its obvious to your I'm stupid when it comes to this game so post anything you know that might help me.

Q: How might I zoom out? Can you, or is just for screenshots?

Q: How might I start off good with a building order?

Q: How might I choose what civilization to use for what purpose?

Flamers and morons like Venger not welcome, everyone else have at it!
(I'm guessing if he see's this he will just have to add his own opinion and defend himself, prove me wrong and be quiet)
Old December 11, 2001, 22:22   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:22
press z to zoom out

as for build order see vel's thread. I always depend on conditions. If barbs are about (I play a low barb setting) I build warrior first. If not I build settler if I see the city will reach 3 before completion.
Old December 11, 2001, 22:24   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:22
aztecs and japanese are great civs for early conquering (ancient and medieval times).

Americans would be good on a large land map. Same with English.

French are good for builder types.

Babyolonians are good for culture wins

Persians are also effective at early warfare due to their uu

Greeks are good at early defense and for science improvements.

I won't get into every civ. But you see where this is going .
Old December 11, 2001, 22:36   #4
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
Quote:
Q: How might I zoom out? Can you, or is just for screenshots?
There is only one zoom-out level. Press 'Z' to do so. Press it again to zoom back in. You can perform all game functions from either view.

Quote:
Q: How might I start off good with a building order?
Well, I'm not a pro but my preference is to build a defense unit first . . . then a settler or two . . . then a temple to get my culture and boundries going. The first city can sometimes wait on the temple since your palace is already generating culture. Your other cities, however, will need to expand their borders fairly quick unless it has absolutely everything it needs within its original boundries. Then I produce another settler or two. If your food growth is slow, you may be able to sneak in barracks or city walls while buidling your population back up.

Unfortunately, this is only a general rule I follow. Each game I've played often required changes in tactics depending on terrain and circumstances. I do tend to focus on culture, however, because I want my boundries expanding quickly with no cities defecting. By the way, this is on Regent level. In the lower levels, you can wait longer to start your temples since riots don't start as early.

Quote:
Q: How might I choose what civilization to use for what purpose?
I tend to be partial to Religious cultures because of the strategy I mention above. I also like the one turn anarchy when changing governments. However, I haven't played all of the civs yet so I'm still learning myself. From what I gather, you should play your civ's strengths (pretty straightforward, eh? ). Consequently, you may want to take note of the playing style YOU ENJOY and then pick your civ based on that. Once you get good and comfortable with the game, you may then want to experiment with the other civs.

Have fun civing! I know I am!
Old December 11, 2001, 22:55   #5
dissent
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:22
1. (answered)

2. I prefer to build in the following order:

Spearmen
Settler, to give me a second city right off the bat
Granary, to give me enough food to expand
Worker, to build roads to new cities as they are built
Settler
Settler
Settler

... and so on. Once my empire is expanding rapidly, I'll build a few more workers to keep my cities connected.

Of course, this is just for Expansion. For a Wonder city or a Military city, I would build differently, but this would be self explanatory.

3. It really depends on how you plan to play the game. I personally think Expanionist is a waste, but if you want to get a jump start on the others, it might not hurt. I played the Iriquois once and was quite successful at passing everyone in techs through Goodie Huts, and using my military to expand my empire. In fact, that is the only time I have won the game by Military conquest.

I mostly prefer the French. The double Worker speed helps IMMENSELY. They are definitely the best if you plan to play through the Modern Ages or go for Culture/Space victory.

As Dissident suggested, you really should take a look at Vel's strategy thread. There is a wealth of information there. More than enough to get you going in the right direction.

Part 1:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...highlight=Vels

Part 2:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35967

Part 3:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=37122