Old December 11, 2001, 23:30   #1
pcasey
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Late Golden Age
I played a game as babylon recently where I delibrately didn't use bowman at all. I ended up in a wonder induced golden age in the late industrial age.

All I can say is WOW. A late industrial golden age is an insane cash generating machine, not to mention the produciton bonus is nice.

I'm actually wondering if this could be a viable long term strategy e.g. delibrately stalling your golden age until a choice moment.

Has anyone else played around with late golden ages? If so do you have any insight to offer? I think I'm going to try it again tonight in another game and see how it goes.
Old December 11, 2001, 23:51   #2
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 12:22
Use them, love them. An early golden age can be great, as the bonus turns into massive growth. But an early GA can also be a waste if you lose half your bonus to despotism penalties. You'll always get the full benefit of your GA if it's post despotism.
Old December 12, 2001, 00:37   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:22
try to wait at least until republic or democracy.

I loved the aztecs, as I love most native american cultures. but their early UU is a detriment because it gives you early golden age if you wage war in despotism.

So now I love the Japanese. Same features, but no early UU. Although I was worried I wouldn't get a golden age. I think I finally got it after I completed Sun Tzu war academy
Old December 12, 2001, 04:08   #4
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm in a Golden Age in my current game with the French. I've only been in 2 wars this game, the first to get saltpeter (so no musketeers obviously) and the second when a Persian attack on the Egyptians activated a three-way Mutual Defence Pact.

My musketeers lost every one of their battles in that war, and riflemen were around by then anyway. I kept my remaining musketeers in my capital just in case, there were three of them, I thought that was rather ironic.

Finally I got a Golden Age through building Hoover Dam and I have to say it is absolutely amazing! I'm 2 techs away from the Modern Age (4turns each of course) when everyone else is still researching combustion and atomic theory. I should reach it about the same time as I exit my Golden Age.

And since I've not been a waring Civ I should have a good chance at winning with UN, or else I'll play it safe and launch a spaceship.