Old December 13, 2001, 07:14   #31
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: New small wonders we'd like to see
Quote:
Originally posted by paulmagusnet
Succeeded only by Stalin's murder of 40 million soviet nationals (at least that is, in shear volume).
I think you mean "exceeded."

And since when did he kill 40 million people? At that time that would have equated to about almost one quarter of the Soviet population. I don't think so.

I do like your ideas, however, especially the death camps and biochemical weapons.

Oh, and the other thing I wanted to say was having Disney theme parks isn't probably a good idea.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:14   #32
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 13:22
Re: Re: New small wonders we'd like to see
Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
I think you mean "exceeded."

And since when did he kill 40 million people? At that time that would have equated to about almost one quarter of the Soviet population. I don't think so.
I'm going to side with paul on this, Stalin is just as murderous as Hitler (if not more so). And he was doing this during, and after WWII.
Old December 14, 2001, 14:00   #33
maxpublic
Settler

Local Time: 10:22
death camps are good
Catchy title, eh?

But we don't need a small wonder for this, just the option of eliminating foreign pop points from captured cities. God, how I hate starving down a city to one point so I can relocate it, while using it to prevent resettlement by a non-enemy civ in the interrim - and possibly losing it via 'culture attack' during the wait.

Yes, genocide would be a good thing in civ. Really, I wish they'd put the option in the game (it's already there quick-wise if you want to burn the city, but that usually isn't the best plan). You used to be able to do this in Civ 2 via the cheat menu by reducing the city to a pop of 1, but no cheat menu in Civ 3....

Max
Old December 14, 2001, 14:32   #34
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
I mentioned this in another thread, but...

I'd like to see an Ancient wonder which allows irrigation from a city with no rivers. Call it "The Great Well" or something! There are far too few rivers in the game, and it can be unbalancing.
Old December 14, 2001, 16:11   #35
Blackadder667
Settler

Local Time: 19:22
I think the actual number of stalins/soviet unions victims from 1930-1989 were about 85 million. It says it in this book about communism that's been out for some time.
Old December 14, 2001, 20:04   #36
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadder667
I think the actual number of stalins/soviet unions victims from 1930-1989 were about 85 million. It says it in this book about communism that's been out for some time.
Depends on how you define "victims". According soviet records from the around WWII there were 20 million casualties in the war, but many people misinterpret that and think it means 20 million dead. In fact the 20 million casualties the soviets suffered includes both death and wounded.

But having said that, I agree that most sources indicate that Stalin killed a lot more of his people than the numbers killed in the war. 40 million sounds about right when you look at the historical material. One thing that's certain is that Stalin killed more of his own citizens than Hitler ever did.