Old December 12, 2001, 03:22   #1
HulluKarhu
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Post patch..1900 and still no wars..World Peace?
I am playing renamed French to Finnish renamed Joan of Arch to Tarja Hallonen..yes she is our president! asume you all know where Finland is..Yes Nokia and Father Christmas
thats right.

I have Egyptian and Indians as close neighbours Russians, Babalonians and Aztecs on other continents.
India has never shown any signs of agression despite me having made culture take overs of several towns. Egypt did a bit of sabre rattling (which I ignored) when I build a town close to their border and it swallowed up a resouce they were heading for, but appart form that not one shot yet fired in anger by any race.
I ignored all transgresions by wanders from neighbours..they dont do anything..there is no space for them to build anymore.
They made a couple of silly towns but they never grew and got swallowed by my culture blitz. Now they are my worker farms.
My culture is slowing eating away at their borders.
Egypt now buying my horses..kept them waiting for 20 or so turns so I had lots of cavelry. So now Cleo is all smiles and thank yous...
Towns near all my borders have artilery on display so understand why Egypt and India want to play safe..but why are the others not scrapping??
Have they patched out wars unless you start them first?.
Old December 12, 2001, 04:49   #2
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 20:22
That's what you get for playing some peaceful Scandinavian nation.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 12, 2001, 05:29   #3
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:22
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
Yes, and Finnland has historically been a very tough country to declare war on. The soviets realized that when they wanted to extend the area around Leningrad. They (the soviets) did "win" that war, but it was a very costly affair.

You should have stuck with the French. They fall over much easier
Old December 12, 2001, 05:32   #4
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Post patch..1900 and still no wars..World Peace?
Quote:
Originally posted by HulluKarhu
I am playing renamed French to Finnish renamed Joan of Arch to Tarja Hallonen..yes she is our president! asume you all know where Finland is..Yes Nokia and Father Christmas
thats right.

Have they patched out wars unless you start them first
Xylitol gum comes from Finland! It's very popular here in Korea now.

Regarding world peace, I haven't downloaded the patch yet but in about 1500 years of history there has only been one war between me and another country (Germany). I think the Romans and the Chinese had a bit of a scuffle in the ancient ages but that was it. I got Rome and China to help me fight the Germans. China sank a few ships for me and after 20 turns threw in the towel. Rome really went for it and razed a couple of German towns and took over a couple others. When I played Civ2 I always wished the other civs would lay off but in Civ3 I'm wishing they'd be a bit more forceful. Maybe I'll choose more aggressive civs in my next game.
Old December 12, 2001, 06:05   #5
fikrii
Settler

World peace?

What world peace?

In my latest Emperor game, the world has been at war FOREVER.

Try and see if you can conquer the world in this attached save game (I'm veryyyyy close).

Let me know the result!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 123.zip (168.1 KB, 12 views)
Old December 12, 2001, 06:39   #6
HulluKarhu
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

Well Finns and Swedes are not always docile..anyone fancy an Ice Hockey war.
Finland and Sweden versus the rest last one alive wins.
Old December 12, 2001, 06:49   #7
7EA
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:22
Quote:
Originally posted by HulluKarhu
asume you all know where Finland is..Yes Nokia and Father Christmas
Santa Claus lives in Greenland! ....
Old December 12, 2001, 08:00   #8
HulluKarhu
Chieftain

I carefully avoided saying "Father Christams lives in Finland"
I just inferred that most people associate him with Finland.
I have actualy been to his workshop ...so there...but..
Being a cunning diplomat I did not want to allienate the rest of the Nordic countries...I will need them all as allies when we take on the rest of the world in my planned whoring and drinking world series..that might well include inviting Danes if they bring a few barrels of Carlsberg and some Gammel Dansk!
Old December 12, 2001, 08:59   #9
Expatriate
Chieftain

Well, Hullu, you came very close to alienating the entire danish nation

We are very sensitive when it comes to Santa's homeland and anyone claiming that he lives anywhere but Greenland is living life dangerously

Carlsberg and Gammel Dansk? Sure, Ill bring some, but you get the Gammel Dansk to yourself. That stuff is vile!
Old December 12, 2001, 09:09   #10
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by 7EA

Santa Claus lives in Greenland! ....
Santa Claus lives at the North Pole. The (magnetic) North Pole is in Canada! That's why no one bothers to declare war on Canada. They're afraid they'll get a lump of coal in their stocking.
Old December 12, 2001, 09:56   #11
mattcj
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:22
Getting back on topic:

My current game started pre-patch. As the Indians, I, the Chinese, and Japanese wiped out the Zulus. Then, I and the Japanese wiped out the Chinese. I was attacked both times to start both wars. Finally, post-patch, I was pulled (MPP) into an everyone vs. the Japanese war. There's plenty of war in this game.
Old December 12, 2001, 12:35   #12
CB2034
Chieftain

Getting back off topic,

Santa Story. When i was younger, im guessing 11 or 12, we went to my uncles house which at the time was in the country. He had a dressed santa on the front porch, complete with beard and red jumpsuit and santa hat. At the time i did not know this but me and the fam' were joking around the other night and they told me the santa was actually a love-doll that had been given to my uncle as a xmas gag gift. At the time i was young and knew no better and asked my uncle why santa had his mouth open in an 0 shape. He told me it was cause santa was saying
HO HO HO.

Merry xmas everyone
Old December 12, 2001, 13:00   #13
Peets
Warlord

I have been investigating it and I found this:

If you don't start a war first then there is big chance that there will be no wars in your game.
You always have to start to be aggresive then they'll play with you. If you are peacefull they are also peacefull

I would call this a bug....
Old December 12, 2001, 13:21   #14
nato
Prince

I had a no war game before the patch.

My cities were completely undefended, no units at all, until around 1400 AD!

My neighbors the Germans, Zulus, Aztecs, and Russians were all my best friends!

That game really scarred me and forever turned me off to cultural victory.

Oooohhh the boredom
Old December 12, 2001, 13:42   #15
xane
Chieftain

The last game I played pre-patch I was the Germans isolated on an island, I hadn't made contact with anyone right up until 1000AD (yes thats AD) and the only thing I heard was how everyone ganged up on the Indians and destroyed them around 3-400AD.

The world was at peace ever since, everyone was just so nice to everyone else, it was sickening

Then I noticed the French started trying to put spies on me, three failed and I kind of got the idea they were a bit touchy. So I got a domino chain of MPPs set up and popped in a French spy, it got discovered and they declared war !

About 5 turns later France still hadn't arrived on my shores and the whole world was against them. Things were going nicely until Xerxes got voted UN chairman and the game ended
Old December 12, 2001, 13:56   #16
elcapjtk
Settler

Well my game has been a big, big war on a max land Pangea map

It started between me and the Zulus, then the Romans came to the Zulu side, then I got the Greeks and the Persians, then the persians got the russians, then Germany got on the Zulu side, ect. ect. So far this war has lasted 1500 years While I am at peace, I am slowly using my culture to assimilate the surrounding English, Greek, Chinese, Persians, ect
Old December 12, 2001, 15:03   #17
Mokael
Chieftain

Always had wars, pre-patch, and post-patch. Somebody always declares one ... I think it depends on a number of civs and on a map - the more civs you have on one single continent, the more chances for war. :::shruggs:: but that's just a wild guess ...

Here's a riddle for Russians, Polaks, and may be other slav-brothers:

Ded-Moroz, Ded-Moroz - Ti podarki nam prines'?

Old December 12, 2001, 15:19   #18
Panzer
Warlord

In my current game as the Germans there have been wars.The first war versus the Russians began over a city site. Tensions remained high on my continent until the Russians declared war on me again (after I asked them to remove their troops from German soil). I crippled them during that war and wiped them out a few centuries later. The other nations on my continent were annoyed but refrained from springing into action. Now the Persians have attacked me so I'm off to wipe them out.

The other continents were mainly peaceful, except a large war that wiped out the Zulus.
Old December 12, 2001, 15:44   #19
zapperio
Warlord

According to Soren (AI programmer, Firaxis), it depends on how you play the game whether you have a lot of wars or not. The game supposedly adapts to your playing style, giving a different experience to every player.

Say, this may explain why certain posters complain of a sucky gaming experience.

Zap
Old December 12, 2001, 16:54   #20
cutlerd
Warlord

It also probably depends on how many civs you play with.

I was playing on a huge map with 16 civs (including me) as the Egyptians. It was my stated goal from the start to be peaceful and start no wars.

I almost made it. I was lucky enough to have expanded quickly and had every resource in my home country (didn't have oil for about 2 turns and had to pay 4000 gold to get it from the French, but then an oil resource bubbled up from the ground right inside my northern border (whew!).

In any case, the only conflict I had before 1946 was a limited invasion from Russian horsemen in the dark ages (1100 or so) when Russia had conquered its continent and started to look for places to expand. They landed, declared a war on me, were wiped out, and never returned.

The problem came in the 1940's. I was the big guy on the block...a clear tech lead and getting close to starting my spaceship. I also refused multiple offers for Mutual protection Pacts as I did not want to get dragged into some petty war that did not affect me.

Well....eventually those MPP offers I rebuked went to other civs, and in short order the entire rest of the world was an entangled mess of MPPs. Then the Japanese landed a large invasion force in my heartland. I mean large. Several transports full of stuff. Not the kind of force I can laugh at....and more on the way. So my envoy goes to Japan and says "Hey...what the hell is all this? Get these foreigners out of my territory or declare war!"

Japan declared war. And in the course of untangling the MPPs, so did every single other civ in the game....all on me!

So much for a peaceful game eh?

Devin
Old December 12, 2001, 18:44   #21
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:22
In my preivous game I was attacked without warning twice by the Zulu's and once by the Aztecs, no mpp's. The whole game seemed to be a big war and when it started I didn't want it. Needless to say it took me too long to recover and i lost to score in 2050.
Old December 12, 2001, 19:32   #22
Slax
Prince

I am just finishing my first game ever, on Chieften level, with the patch. Its 2028 and there has not been a single war. I had hoped for space victory, so didn't provoke anyone, and no battle started between the other 7 civs. The only fight I was in was with barbarians at the very beginning of the game.

Truth is, I wish something had happened, because the game has become dull, but I'll just play it out.
Old December 12, 2001, 20:14   #23
cutlerd
Warlord

Slax,

Sounds dull. Why not start a little war somewhere?

My guess is the AI is pretty unagressive on Chieftain level (which I have never played...so I am just speculating).

Devin