Old December 12, 2001, 18:28   #1
edub
Settler

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guerilla Warfare Strategy?
Hi all-

I am hoping some of you Civ3 guru's can help me out with a question concerning strategy:

1.) In the old Civs (if memory serves), you could "gift" units to friendly civs? Does anyone know of a way to do that still? The idea would be to supply an allies army to fight an enemy you don't want to directly engage in combat. This would seem to be a very useful, albeit subversive, combat strategy.

Thanks again, I enjoy reading all the insightful posts.

Cheers,
Edub
Old December 12, 2001, 18:48   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:24
I do not see any mechanism to do it. You can sell workers cheaply, but not units. You can give maps, lux,resource, and money. The best thing is to make an MPP and be forced into the war, or just attack and help them.
Old December 12, 2001, 18:54   #3
edub
Settler

So it seems it may not be possible anymore. Am I just imagining this, or was it possible in CIV2?

edub
Old December 12, 2001, 19:04   #4
pchang
King

Local Time: 18:24
The only unit you can gift is the worker (and then, only if it is inside your capital).

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:17   #5
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 13:24
I figure they took this option out, since the idea is if they don't have the tech to build it, they can't use it (like those cannons and such).

It would be funny if you gave a civ who didn't get Iron tech yet a Swordsman and watch them fight holding the blade end and stabing the other guy with its handle!

Last edited by Thrawn05; December 13, 2001 at 12:23.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:23   #6
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:
Originally posted by edub
So it seems it may not be possible anymore. Am I just imagining this, or was it possible in CIV2?

edub
Yes it was! (and still is if you haven't abandoned the 'good old' CivII!!!
Old December 13, 2001, 14:14   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:24
Civs now give advanced weapons to other civs all the time. Look at the stingers we gave the Afghanians and they were able to use them. Surely a sword is not that tough. Not having the tech means not building, it does not mean not using if given to you. Too bad it is not allowed in the game.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:00   #8
edub
Settler

I have to say this is not a feature I have seen on too many people's "Desires for the Next Patch" list. I guess it would be a somewhat major change to gameplay, but it seems to be to be a glowing deficiency.

I loved those "guerilla" wars in CIV2. Build up your own power, supply a weakling with tons of the "best of breed" weapons for their technological age, and then let them wear down an opponent that far outmatches them.

Even when the little guy loses (if you stop your support), they have drastically worn down your opponent without you ever lifting a finger!
Old December 13, 2001, 18:03   #9
edub
Settler

I have to say I am surprised to have not seen this on more people's "Desires for the Next Patch" lists. I guess it would entail some major gameplay changes (and balacing), but would add a very important and realistic aspect of war.

I loved those "guerilla" wars in Civ2, where you would supply the little guy with "best of breed" weapons for their technological age, then watch them wear down a bigger opponent.

It was a great way to keep an opponent busy, and wear them down without your empire ever declaring war.
Old December 14, 2001, 05:49   #10
dexter4dxm
Warlord

Local Time: 10:24
i couldn't agree with you guys more
Old December 14, 2001, 08:57   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I figure they took this option out, since the idea is if they don't have the tech to build it, they can't use it (like those cannons and such).
This cant be the case (unless Firaxis stuffed up ) as you can capture buildings that you dont know how to build yet. I captured a city with a police station, and about 10 turns later discovered the tech for it
Old December 14, 2001, 09:34   #12
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 13:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

This cant be the case (unless Firaxis stuffed up ) as you can capture buildings that you dont know how to build yet. I captured a city with a police station, and about 10 turns later discovered the tech for it
There is a difference between Buildings and units in the codeing.