Old December 12, 2001, 23:29   #1
teal_buddha
Settler

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Disappointed
Ok, I bought CivIII the first day it was released, and, even though I have a limited schedual for game play, have managed to put many hours into the game. So now, after having won games by Space, Diplomatic, Military, and Domination I have to ask - why do you only get a victory animation on the Space victory. I'm curious if anyone has won by culture - and if it potentially has a video (or anything beyond a simple pop up window that say's "X victory). I really love the game, but to me the video or victory animation is a big bonus for having worked so hard to get to what ever state.

Opinions, comments, thoughts?

I'm just a bit fustrated seeing the pop up on a game that took many hours of stratigy and game play to win.
Old December 13, 2001, 00:34   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:25
One idea, if you bought the Limited Edition, is to play the 10 minute Firaxis video as a reward to yourself. Watching Sid at the piano is surely a rare treat. Go ahead. You deserve it.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 13, 2001, 00:37   #3
teal_buddha
Settler

Good one.

Of course I bought the limited edition, I've been a freakin' addict to Civ since it first came out. Hey, great game... I just always liked the bonus at the end. Guess you can't have it all.
Old December 13, 2001, 00:48   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:25
LOL! Well, then, I don't think it would be too hard to edit the victory screen to say: 'Insert Tape Now'.

[...seriously, I agree with you. In fact, I think very little thought was given to what motivates a gamer in the first place.]

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 13, 2001, 01:07   #5
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:25
Jeeze! Now you whinners want a reward for winning too?

Don't you know that you have to spend $50 more for the Super-duper-deluxe-limited-multi-golden-this-is-the-final-version-and-we-really-mean-it-this-time edition?

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to make MODs too. You people make me sick.
Old December 13, 2001, 01:33   #6
teal_buddha
Settler

Well, you can't have it all. I have felt many of the changes/improvements were well thought out and executed. I like the strategic resources and culture. But in the end, it often is the simple pleasures that really push you along.

As a 10 year player of the Civ series (and a player of every manifestation from Civ I through Civ III, as well as CTP1 and 2) I have to say over all it's a great work. But the lack of senarios (for creating accurate WWII games or what have you) and this most recently unvieled lack of "rewards" after a hard fought game... well, they've dampened my enthusiasm for the CivIII version of the game.

BTW - has anyone actually won Cultural yet? It's the only victory I haven't finished, and am hesitant to try as I fear the "victory" may not be any more rewarding than the "domanance victory"
Old December 13, 2001, 01:42   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
I won culturally...its just as impressive as the other options...a text box and a screen with all the leader pics...
Old December 13, 2001, 01:51   #8
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

aren't we all impressed... i couldn't stand to play more than 4 hours of the game before i shelved it and went back to civ2. there was just something about having to start over from the begining of time AGAIN that didn't appeal to me. Give me those old time scenarios!
Old December 13, 2001, 03:00   #9
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
Start from Civ and play all the way to CivIII. I'm told that it all comes together then.