Old December 13, 2001, 16:21   #1
Donnyb20
Settler

Local Time: 13:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI Attitude Change
One problem I've noticed with installing the patch is that when you first install it, the attitudes of all the civs change to "annoyed" towards you. Before I installed the patch, two civs were polite and one cautious, the rest were either annoyed or furious because I was at war with them, as soon as I installed the patch, all the civs were annoyed at me, except the ones I was at war with which were still furious. I even uninstalled the patch and the game (because uninstalling the patch apparentlly does not remove it completelly), before uninstalling I copied my saved games to the desktop, just to be sure it didn't uninstall them. Then I re-installed only the game and started from the last saved game, When I went to the diplomacy screen the civs were the same as before installing the patch, two were polite and one cautious. Then I re-installed the patch again and the same thing happened, where they all became annoyed again. Has anyone else noticed this happen?

The other main problem I see is what quite a few other people have complained about, which is that the numbers showing the size of the city were changed to a yellowish/white color, which is hard to determine the size of the city and at least to me does not look or show up as good.

One of the good things about the patch is that it appears that the corruption has been reduced from how much it was before.

Last edited by Donnyb20; December 13, 2001 at 18:09.
Old December 13, 2001, 16:26   #2
HawaiiFive-O
Warlord

Local Time: 18:28
I've only played one game post patch, and it was my first one at Monarch level, so my impressions may not be definitive, but I agree.

It was a lot harder to keep the AI happy with me post patch. I thought it was due to the higher difficulty level, but maybe it's something in the patch?
Old December 13, 2001, 20:03   #3
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:28
It would be good news if this were true. I don't know if it is, but if so then it is probably in response to a complaint that most of us had regarding the fact that the game gets too easy and tedious/boring/pointless once the human becomes the #1 civ. The only way to fix it would be to make the AI actually play to _win_, rather than go to the end of the game being happy that you're going to beat them.

It would be interesting to see if there are different effects depending on how strong your civ is compared to other civs. The hope was that everyone would generally be unhappy with and gang up against _whoever_ was the top dog, not just the human. Of course, if you're playing well then you're probably going to be the top dog in just about every game, but that's a different story.

Donny, were you #1 in the game where you noticed this effect?
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old December 14, 2001, 12:46   #4
Donnyb20
Settler

David, actually, I believe I was in 5th place at the time. The Aztecs, Egyptians, French and Russians all had more cities, culture and military troops then I did, the Aztecs and Egyptians had twice as many cities and twice as much culture than I did. The only thing that I was leading in was gold, I believe I had about 500 more than the egyptians. I understand what you mean by the lead player should have a harder time, but it also should remain fair to that player. The weird thing is that about 4 to 5 turns after installing the patch and not making any kind of diplomacy deals at all with the Aztecs their attitude went back to polite from being annoyed . I'm not really concerned with attitude changes in the game, like after every turn a civs attitude might change, because there are probably good reasons that firaxis made for this, like David stated above, but I am concerned that their attitudes change as soon as I install the patch, on the same turn (not after I hit and the next turn happens).

My only reason for making this argument is that in the future I don't want the civs that I made agreements with that did not benefit me as much as they could have, but instead gained their friendship or a better attitude toward me, to have a change in attitude from polite or gracious to go right back down to annoyed because I installed the new patch. Anyways I'm sure that firaxis will fix this unless there is some reason why this is being done.
Old December 14, 2001, 13:38   #5
MattHiggs
King

Ruskies and Germs are always annoyed at me, I refuse to give into their demands though
Old December 14, 2001, 14:30   #6
barefootbadass
Prince

I'm playing a new game after the patch, and after initially being cautious and then annoyed(after I was a jerk as egypt with my war chariots). I was way behind in tech on monarch, got a raw start while the chinese started on a river with four(!) cows in their capital radius. Anyway, I stayed in despot for a really long time, using pop rush and war to bully techs out of my neighbors. I finally went to monarchy about 700 ad and maybe 10-20 turns later to republic. Interestingly enough, as soon as I switched to republic, joan and several of the other ai's became polite. I think your government has some effect on the attitude they have towards you. It isn't enough to overcome a furious attitude of those you have mistreated in the past, I think that takes a while with a lot of generous trades and gifts.
Old December 14, 2001, 19:17   #7
Master Marcus
Prince

I've reinstalled the game and switched back to old good 1.07f version. The patch definitely upgrades the AI aggressivity and their cultural priority is not reduced, it is the contrary in fact to me of what it is said in the readme.txt.

I want to know about those of you having played a new early game post-patch at Monarch level, and through a reasonable length where I usually assimilate culturally a couple of AI border cities in the Middle Ages, never was I able to do that with 1.16f- in fact the AI has indeed taken a couple of mine with his INFERIOR cities. Have you noticed some difference next to pre-patch, or even no culture capture both sides, or even MORE captures?