Old June 15, 2000, 08:34   #1
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bases/outposts
I think we sould be able to have bases and outpost in location like small islands or the artic were we do not want a city but want that land or a way to keep an eye on the enermy and to bloke a pass like from land mass to land mass. For example the pacific islands in WW2 had bases but no cities. They were used to keep military units and keep an eye on the enermy. The fortress was like this but it was the same as if they were moving around the game, while in the fortress you had no real bounes, and in a free govermet your people hated having them out of the city. So they were next to useless, could this be imporved so in a bases there was a bonus and citizens did not get upset.
Old June 15, 2000, 11:25   #2
OrangeSfwr

This is where "claiming land" and air bases, seaports, and fortresses come into play. If you search through the archives you should find entire posts. If i see one I'll bump it up for ya.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Old June 15, 2000, 14:33   #3
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
quote:

Originally posted by OrangeSfwr on 06-15-2000 11:25 AM
This is where "claiming land" and air bases, seaports, and fortresses come into play. If you search through the archives you should find entire posts. If i see one I'll bump it up for ya.

hey that sounds intersting . plz post a URL
Old June 15, 2000, 19:16   #4
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:23
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ok we need military bases so...

Military bases and military outposts

Outposts
Established by any military unit, needs real numbers because a percentage of that unit has to stay until a garrison is recieved. Then the men automatically return for gameplays sake.

Outposts cost a minimal amount to maintain and no shields or raw materials, food is brought by military budget. Outposts can have a naval repair and resupply station or a ground repair and resupply station or an airbase or nothing and just be a lookout station.

Outposts if deserted or all men killed will disappear in 2 turns or taken up by an enemy unit thus they don't have to build one. Enemy then absorbs cost of maintaining it. Outposts can have 1 SAM or AAA, 1 Shore Battery, 1 ground battery 1 radar station, any combo of these changes the cost around

Radar, most expensive I want Civ3 to have real numbers so depending on how much your money is worth it could be anywhere from 10-10k.
SAM, next most expensive, upgrade from AAA automatically after rocketry if you have military droctrine for most advanced or something. Costs 2x more than AAA but 3x more effective. Stealth Fighters +50% effective vs SAM over AAA.

SAM, 200% cost, 300% effectiveness vs reg airplanes, 25% effectiveness vs stealth planes
AAA, 100% cost, 100% effectiness vs reg airplanes, 50% effectiveness vs stealth.

Shore battery, same cost as ground battery, 200% defense vs a naval attack with unit, 100% defense with only a garrison and no unit.

Ground battery, same cost as shore battery, 200% defense with unit, 100% defense with only a garrison unit.

Garrisons are only a small number of people, unit is a brigade or whatever an actually move around unit there too.

Military bases, have an effect range where they can set up defense of either any combo of these on the hexes, can have a repair station for 1 or 3 of the types of units.
Airbase
Naval repair resupply
Ground repair resupply

AAA, or SAM depending on time or doctrine
Ground batteries, and permitter fencing
Shore Batteries, no perimetter fencing on hexes next to ocean.

All military bases get a radar when you research it giving the area you can see 3 hexes out every way. Cost is determined by size as well as if each tile can have a 1 2 or 3 defenses on it. Bases should also give your units working in its area a bonus because of known terrain and stationary defenses to back them up. They are expensive and cost a lot to maintain and build.

Extra defenses like SAMs and batteries add a small amount of ammo and money but nothing like the cost for an outpost on its ratio of cost to defense.

Military bases require shipments of supplies from cities, and can be blockaded to kill of people and defenses then taken over and the enemy doesn't have to build them.

The area of influence should be able to grow larger so you could set up a permittmer on your civs borders.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
There is no spoon,
But there is a knife
Old June 16, 2000, 01:18   #5
OrangeSfwr

Dalgetti - looked all over the forum but couldn't find it. I think it was one of the last things talked about in a topic, so it wasn't the same as what the Subject said. I think the last time I remember talking about it was late April. Let me know if you find it, and I'll give it another shot myself

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Old June 16, 2000, 22:07   #6
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:23
I haven't read the old posts (joined up mid-may), but I think that certain units (non-robotic land units maybe) should be able to up set a military base. The base would function a bit like a normal city.

So I think if adopted, then the game would only have a normal city, and military bases. No outposts or any other type of base.

Base Pros:
*Would build units/buildings like a normal city can, but at a cheaper rate.
*Supporting units from the city is discounted.
*The enemy capturing the town can't give them techs.
*Would give a defensive military bonus or some sort.
*When lost, it is always destroyed, rather than falling into the hands of the enemy.
*Allows the feasable building of forward bases on single-squared islands. (ala Hawaii in WWII, I think)

Base Cons:
*Building the base would cost an amount of money, and that cost rises the further it is from a 'real' city of your civ, and would also cost a lot more if it is built in hostile territory.
*Can be built anywhere, but outside of your borders it requires a turn-ly payment of some sort (either shields from a real city, or just a bit of money). The extra payment would be in addition to the payments made of the base's improvements/buildings.
*Would not increase in population, generate taxes, etc (but then also would not cause unhappiness).

*And for a fee, the military base can be upgraded to a normal city. The main point of this base idea is for it to be temporary - hence the payment system if it's outside your borders.

Any more ideas (either from past discussion or now)? I've tried to balance up the idea with pros/cons, and I think it shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would not unbalance the game (after all, you can simply choose not to do build them).

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited June 16, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 17, 2000, 08:45   #7
Sir Shiva

par4, excellent proposals..

Another improvement: Field Hospital and Workshop, heals units in one turn..

Should bases and outposts be different? I think so.. Perhaps outposts can be upgraded to bases later on.. Outposts should just be for tracking enemy movements and early warning, while bases should be for establishing an appreciable military presence in the area.. You could build bases and outposts in allied territory, which would be dismantled if you broke your alliance.

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@mailops.com
Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva