Old December 13, 2001, 22:10   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Comments on Conversations.....

It's been far too long since I took a stroll through these magical hallways....and as to the story, told in the form of letters between dear friends struggling to make a new life on an alien world....absolutely brilliant....I loved it!

Makes my fingers ache to reach for the SMAX disc....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2001, 22:37   #2
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Vel!!

Well, I was wondering if anyone was interested in Conversations. I can't say the idea was mine since I saw a much-abbreviated version on ACOL several years ago. I was looking for someone to do this for a long time, and my friend Charles was certainly up to the task (he is a Peacekeeper at heart). This very friendly PBEM dialog has re-invigorated my interest in SMAC/X more than anything else and I can't WAIT to get home to get a turn or two in! Charles, I know, agrees, although I hear his wife hates me now...

Take Care,
Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2001, 23:20   #3
Masterbuilder
Settler

Vel,
I want to thank you for your compliment. My good friend, Hydro, just this year got me hooked on SMAC. I am still learning many of the "techniques" and your book has been a wonderful guide. The world Hydro and I have created has enhanced the play so much that single player mode is not interesting anymore. Perhaps when we complete our game you would like to participate with us. It would be our honor.
Master Builder
Masterbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2001, 23:27   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I am also enjoying Conversations very much. I was wondering: how did you effect the Peacekeepers' change of leader in the game? The names have changed in the letters, but how did you deal with this in the Planetary Council, and other places?
Old December 14, 2001, 00:12   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

'evening guys, and thank you for the warm welcome back! Reading that story....seeing those familiar (and yet somehow different every single time!) trials and tribulations unfold on Chiron....ahhh....I'm staring at the SMAX disc right now, fighting the urge, cos it's nearly eleven here, and I know exactly what will happen.

First, the splash screen, and the top-notch movie detailing the crumbling of civilization as we know it....then, the ship in distress....life pods jettisoning toward the alien world, and then, the opener....nine tiles uncovered....the rest of the world black.....

....and the next thing I know the sun will be coming up and I'll be cursing Sid Meier for yet another sleepless night....

(Sid, love ya guy, but I swear, you have been the cause of sooooo many nights with absolutely zero sleep....you OWE me man! LOL)

Hydro old friend....your story reawakened that yearning....I don't think I'll be able to resist SMAC's pull much longer, even WITH Civ3 sitting on my hard drive....that's just how compelling the game (and your story!) is.

MasterBuilder....quite welcome! And I'm glad you're finding the guide of value. There's more than a little bit of Hydro woven into those pages too....he was one of the many who came here, day-in and day-out while the various segments and bits of strategy between those covers were being hotly debated and beaten into their final form.

When this forum was seeing several hundred hits day....ahhh....so many people poured so much creative energy into this place. You can still feel it. I hope the powers that be never decide to let this forum completely die. Too much magic here to let it go completely.

Sure, other games will no doubt eclipse SMAC's accomplishments, but for those who wander here in months, and perhaps years to come....they'll find our stories. Journals and logs of our own trials and tribulations, and perhaps they'll bring a smile or a nod of understanding....

....I'd like that.

I'd like that very much.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2001, 00:18   #6
Masterbuilder
Settler

Based on the timeline the current leader of the Peacekeepers had to be beyond 120 years old and I thought it was time for hime to stepback from the leadership of the Peacekeepers. Even though he stepped down as the Peacekeepers leader he still was the Governor of the planet and still retained his seat in the General Assembly as a delegate. So with this adapatation we could still enjoy the benefits of him being the Governor. I am not sure what his future will be yet. He has been very sick recently and he has also put tremendous effort into completing the global trade pact which has worn him down as well. I think that if one of the computer factions trys to call a vote for a new Governor I will use that event to try and elect the current Peacekeeper leader as his replacment. Assuming that I can get the votes. I would hate to give up the benefits that the Peacekeepers enjoy from holding the Govenorship.

Master Builder
Old January 23, 2002, 23:54   #7
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

It is MY 2265. Dee and most of humanity on Planet have transcended, leaving a confusing on Chiron. Chairman Yang is now free of Santiago’s punishment sphere. He has taken possession of his bases, which were taken from him in a 35 year Spartan campaign of grinding destruction, and that Santiago lost in turn to the Gaians. Miriam and Santiago have regained control of the bases lost to the Gaians and Peacekeepers. Populations have crashed and all cities have reverted to size one, or have disappeared altogether. Some cities are now in new places, or they have different ‘original’ owners. Miriam and Santiago remain, and they have taken advantage of the universal weakness to renew their wars against almost everyone, including the Gaians, to whom they surrendered. Santiago has all of Dee’s technology, which she gave to everyone but Miriam as a goodbye gift.

What a mess.

The story continues.

Hydro

One last note – Conversations is now 184 pages long in a 10-point font. It was certainly a story that grew with the telling!
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2002, 18:32   #8
Masterbuilder
Settler

And it continues...
I wanted to add to Hydro's comments and say that I am almost looking forward to the next phase we are in. With the events that have occured new paths have opened up for us to explore. One thing I am thinking about is the idea of having clones take over the Peacekeepers and banish all "natural" humans. This would allow me to take a different track with them that I might not have done before. They might align themselves more with the Zak than the Gaians for instance.
I had not been keeping track of the number of letters we had created until Hydro pointed them out to me, I was blown away! I hope that anyone that takes the time to read them all enjoys them as much as we had making them...
Masterbuilder