Old June 16, 2000, 19:26   #1
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:23
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Airplanes!!
In another horrible attempt by me to complicate Civ3, I want a new system of using airplanes.

Constructing aircraft-
Same as in Civ2, you just build them move them around. If we have real materials you might need airplane fuel or just fuel depending on what your planes use. Some advancement maybe spaceflight or advanced materials should give you SCRAM jet engines which cost more but use regular fuel so you don't have to pay for jet fuel. This is too complicated but if the system is really changed then this will be usable. SCRAM jet gives you a movement upgrade too 1 hex.

Base of Operations-
Move the plane to an aircraft carrier, military base with airfield, or city and tell select BoO. The unit then stays there and has a range in which sorties are flown. These sorties attack all enemy units that cannot destroy the aircraft(they're repaired everytime) and will give a bonus to all your units within the range as well as allied units for defense or attack.

This range will be pretty large and gets larger after advances, because carrier can have up to 8 aircraft squadrons on it they can be devestating and a really good unit like in real life. Also with the range we can have a good war in the pacific scenario with important airfields and such.

Attacking cities-
Sorties against specific parts of the city and not units in the city you have to click bombing run(if the unit can do it 1st fighters can't) and then click the city. You can also select whether or not you want to hit something specific like utilities, residental, or industry. Selecting bombing campaign the unit does this over and over until told to stop by you or a treaty or something.

Enacting a mid-air refueling doctrine gives a +50% range for all units but costs a lot. The cost grows or shrinks to the number of military airplanes.

extras-
comercial airports that you don't build but are built by corporations or the cities themselves should have a range but that doesn't affect you at all its just show. Little airports should dot the land since planes have to refuel and areas without a major one you won't see many. I think this could add a little liveliness to the game and a feeling that you civ lives. It has no affect on gameplay except for tourism.

Helicopters-
Same system. New unit huey or something that evacs units giving up to a 20% less casualty if we have real numbers or 20% less damage if we don't. This % goes down if AAA or SAMs are near. Attack choppers do the same as aircraft. Having evac choppers gives a propaganda boost for the war as fewer people die.

What does everyone think, I like this more as airplanes can be really important to help troops and bomb the enemy. Helicopters can be good to as to lower casualties and give a propaganda boost if we have it.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
There is no spoon,
But there is a knife
Old June 16, 2000, 21:52   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I not so sure we need the different refuelling ideas above...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 16, 2000, 23:40   #3
Par4
King

Yeah like I said that was complicated only use if we use an advanced model, which won't happen, I hope

------------------
I use this email
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
There is no spoon,
But there is a knife
Old June 17, 2000, 08:31   #4
Sir Shiva

The sortie idea is good..

And as for refuelling and stuff, these kinds of techs should be cash bought only, not discovered.. This could apply to several technologies... You could have a separate screen for 'Upgrades' or something where each upgrade is listed with a price..

Perhaps when the planes are on bombing campaigns, maintainance would double, eg 1 shield on standby, 2 on campaign..

And a carrier would be allotted a given number of shields from home city and/or nearest port to maintain a given number of planes..

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@mailops.com
Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva

Old June 20, 2000, 20:15   #5
Par4
King

I'm really glad to see your idea about mid-air refueling. Your specific
targets stuff sounds great too. Here are a few other things I'd like to see:

Perhaps helicopters should be capable of carrying at least one small ground
unit; marines or riflemen. This could help simulate the type of helicopter
assaults used by the US Army in Vietnam.

Current problem with helos: Can be attacked by all units. Does this need to
be fixed?

Suggestion: New unit: Protable anti-aircraft battery (ZSU 23-4(guns), or
Patriot, Hawk, Roland, SA 2, SA 10 (missiles) etc.) Gives 2X defense for all
units in square (rather like the Aegis Cruiser) Perhaps both, guns cheaper
but missiles more stronger.

If you agree, maybe you could post some or all of this.

Thank you.

Kiraq

------------------
I use this email
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
HappyLand
There is no spoon
-The Matrix
Let's kick it up a notch!!