Old December 15, 2001, 23:48   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Odd Questions
1. If your Police rating is +3 (three units as police; police effect doubled), and you build the Self-Aware Colony, do you have the equivalent of four police units per base?

2. In alpha.txt, you can change the maximum range for artillery. Is there an upper limit to this setting? Can you make artillery that shoots halfway across the world?

3. The Gaian and Cultist factions have as their agenda Green Economics. Yet if you check their social engineering during a game, they are rarely using Green Economics, even if they have the required technology. Is this a quirk of the computer's general strategy (eg. it must do nothing that reduces population growth)?
Old December 16, 2001, 02:39   #2
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 18:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mr. President,

The only SE the AI cannot use is their aversion. Beyond that I have seen the AI have a SE that is not their goal, especially Planned.

Someone else will have to field your other questions.

Hydro
Old December 16, 2001, 08:16   #3
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 19:33
1. The SP description says that the project counts as one police unit so I'd guess yes but I never tried it (I always run free market or cybernetic)

2. Yes, and it is very weird! But I only tried it later on, when I had most of my map. I don't know what would happen if you tried bombarding an unexplored square...

3. I created a free market loving faction once and, while they were at a disasterous (for them )war with someone else, I checked their SE and they were running simple even though they were way beyond the tech needed for free market. I guess the AI would know that the negatives their choice has would not benefit them at all at a given situation but since he/she "hates" the other choice (eg. "Your PS is godless and wretched!") the only thing left is to stay neutral, ie. run one of the following : Frontier/Simple/Survival/None. I have never seen such bypassing of their SE choice like for example Gaians running Planned! Did that happen in your game?
Old December 16, 2001, 08:56   #4
Black Sunrise
Prince

Free market AI
3. They probably noticed all their cities in revolt and took effort to stop it. When in a war, running free market can be a very tricky possibility, and if you aren't careful, your whole nation can get really messed by drones that way.

I'm going to customize lal one of these days to always run planned/democratic, and see how he does when forced into a permanent pop boom.
Old December 17, 2001, 06:02   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Gaians usually use Simple economics. Once at the very end of the game when I was building the Ascent to Transcendence I caught them in Green Economics for a couple of turns, but other than that they avoid it.

I've caught CEO Morgan in Simple Economics, and interestingly in Fundamentalist/Free Market.
Old December 17, 2001, 14:32   #6
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 13:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
The Gaians usually use Simple economics. Once at the very end of the game when I was building the Ascent to Transcendence I caught them in Green Economics for a couple of turns, but other than that they avoid it.
Yes, old Dee is quite the hypocrite, isn't she? It would be nice if the AI would adjust its criticism of your SE choices according to how it ran it's own shop. For instance, a Green Morgan would be less antagonistic to my Green state than a FM Morgan.
Old December 17, 2001, 17:49   #7
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:33
3. As I recall, there was this effort on the forums a while back (i.e. before Civ3's release) to make the AI smarter. The effects that were hoped for included getting the AI to actually plant forests and use tree farms, though I think getting the AI factions to use their preferred SE choices may have been on the list. I don't know what became of it, though if you search the AC-General forum going back three months, you might find something of the sort.

And Fundamentalist/FM? Well, there's something you don't see every day
Old December 18, 2001, 11:55   #8
T-hawk
C4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Prince

Local Time: 14:33
Quote:
And Fundamentalist/FM? Well, there's something you don't see every day
Actually, I find Morgan in Fundy/FM almost every time I go to war with him. Counterproductive, definitely.

And like the others in this thread, I've often seen the Gaians in Planned or Simple economics even well after Green is available. I can't remember ever seeing anyone else intentionally running against their agenda, though.
Old December 18, 2001, 12:08   #9
Yxklyx
Warlord

Hmm, I just had a game where I was playing Morgan as Fundy/FM. I was in a major two sided war and was ahead in tech so wanted the morale/probe boost.