Old December 16, 2001, 01:57   #1
MrB
Settler

Local Time: 18:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can you continue playing a EU game after it's "won"
Or timed out. 'cuse my ignorance of the mechanics if neither of these possibilities is a game outcome. But can you keep playing after it's normally finished like with Civ?

I've always wanted to play these sort of games through to a conclusion (no one but yourself left), and never quit a Civ game when I'm just up to scoring. Imperialism was a bit of a let down for me because you couldn't continue.

So, can you with EU? Or EU2?

Thanks.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2001, 06:16   #2
uglyduck
Warlord

The Grand Campaign period in EU1 is 1492 to 1792 and in EU2 from 1419 to 1820.
If you set your play rate at 1minute = 1 month then it will take you around 80hours (not counting pauses!) continuing play to reach the "time out".
The victory conditions can be pretty much as you want them to be from simply annexing all of Spain to conquering the entire known world.
It would be very difficult with EU2 to conquer all the world so there is plenty of play there.
Might I suggest that you have a look here:-

http://www.europa-universalis.com/eu2.asp

and read thro the forums for more information

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2001, 18:52   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:33
Stop stealing Poly's new recruits uglyduck.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:37   #4
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 11:33
But to answer the original question, no you can't play after the time ends (1820 for EU2). On the other hand, given it takes days to get there even if you have no life, and weeks if you do, that's ok. You can start a new game as one of 99 other countries.
Grunthex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2001, 05:19   #5
MrB
Settler

Cheers
Thanks for the info guys... I have little life, but many other great games. So I reckon things should balance out well enough for a good long play time.

I hear EU2 needs a bit of patchwork and as it's not out here yet it'll be EU for Christmas
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2001, 21:07   #6
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 13:33
Generally, you can get through 30 years or so in 2 hrs in a single sitting.... I've been playing the same GC for about a month @ about an hour a day and more on weekends... I'm closing on the end and still have a few mroe goals to reach.... Grr... Constantinople must fall....
Old January 31, 2002, 09:24   #7
WFHermans
Chieftain

You could try to hack the savegame file and set the date back when you come close to 1820.
I hate it too when you cant play on! I dont care about victory points or whatever, i just want to rule my country and see what happens.

Imperialism I (and civ 3) are even worse than EU in this respect. At least in EU you can play until the end of the scenario. But in Imperialism everything was goung fine until suddenly the message appeared "The Council of Europe" (or whatever it was called) decided that you have won, or lost or whatever, both equally irritating because the game had stopped.

This is a reason i never play scenarios in EU because after playing lets say the Seven Years War the game stops. It should at least give you the possibility of playing on. I liked that about Civ II.
WFHermans is offline   Reply With Quote