Old December 16, 2001, 02:22   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Extra Pack: Help needed for the Khmer
Hello everyone! To be able to post part 4 of the Extra Pack Finalization, we need someone who takes up the effort to find out all necessary things for the Khmer civilization. Anyone would care to do that? I'm so busy with university in the last time, it would take quite a time for me to find enough resources, And I'm sure there's someone who knows more than I do about the Khmer (which is almost nothing)
Old December 17, 2001, 00:17   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 12:33
A city list from Encyclopedia-quality sources. In other words, a suspect list, but a start nonetheless.

@KHMER
Angor
Phnom Penh
Prah Khan
Banteay Chhmar
Kampong
Kompong Chhnang
Kampot
Preah Vihear
Phimai
Banteay Srei
Prei Kuk
Stung Treng
Maha Rosei
Roluos
Khorat
Borey
@STOP

Primary historical leader: Jayavarman. There were others of note, he (iirc) led the Khmer into their best times.

Definitely a religious civ. Also militaristic as a quality?

Somebody else chime in here, I only did superficial research to make a modpack for personal use...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old December 17, 2001, 05:26   #3
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Thanks. As I thought, it's almost all new to me. AFAIK, the capital's name was Angkhor though.

Religious seems obvious, as a second I can think only of Militaristic, maybe commercial or industrious, definitely none of the others...
Old December 17, 2001, 16:46   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Wernazuma,
Well, I can help you out. You're lucky I happened to find 5 minutes to check out this forum today, I haven't been here in a while

For the Khmer I'm not quite done with the city list yet (I'm working on it for CtP2), but I posted below what I already have (I'll post the final list when I'm done, whenever that is). Some of the names for the cities on this list came from other city lists (IIRC one made by Nordicus and one by Kull, both for CtP1/2), some cities I haven't been able to track down yet in historical resources so they have a ??? as comment.

I don't know if there's an official way of spelling it but AFAIK it's spelled 'Angkor' 95% of the time. And it's not a city (let alone a capital) in itself. Angkor is simply Khmer for 'city', it's often used to refer to the Khmer civilization or to the area that was the center of this civ (Lake Tonle Sap area), it's not any specific city in itself. That would be either Angkor Wat or Angkor Thom (the most famous ones anyway) and of these two only Angkor Thom was ever a capital. But Yasodharapura would be a better choice as it was a capital for much longer.

Regarding the Khmer leader: Deva-Raja means God-king and is the title Khmer kings have always had. The Khmer leader should IMHO be Jayavarman VII, one of the greatest of the Khmer kings: he liberalized and unified the country, reconquered Yasodharapura (at the time the Khmer capital) from the Champa and he built Angkor Thom (in that order). Naga Princess Soma is some vague mythical figure (IIRC Indian in origin), I only included her because CtP let's you have 2 leaders per civ (you guessed it: one male and one female). There are a number of other leaders that one could choose from though (and that could be used as Great Leaders), such as Jayavarman II (founder of the Khmer empire), Suryavarman II (builder of Angkor Wat and a great warrior), Indravarman I (the first of the great builders), Yasovarman I (another great builder) and Rajendravarman II (another great warrior).

CSAs: Religious, Militaristic and Industrious all fit the Khmer equally well. I say just pick the 2 that best balance things out with the other civs...

CtP doesn't have a UU concept (or at least not civ-specific ones, like Civ3) so I didn't really look for any ideas here. The only source that I know of sais the following:
Quote:
"Like many Asian armies, the Khmer and Champa warriors used elephants to head their battle force. Unlike many others, who placed the crew in a tower, only a single warrior was mounted upon a platform on the elephant's back. From here, he would spear and shoot at his enemies.

The Khmer horse warriors were not apparently very effective, and many carved sources show few mounted warriors (and they are mostly infantry officers). Champa cavalrymen seem to have used crossbows, which may in fact be a reference to mounted infantrymen.

The mainstay of the Khmer and Cham armies were levied troops. They fought in nothing but loincloths, armed with shields and javelins; some may have worn a stiff, sleeveless jacket for more protection. This Auxilia option may also be used to include a Maiden Guard and regular "household" warriors (who may have worn bamboo plaited jackets).

Khmer or Cham armies' Psiloi were archers and crossbowmen. Every single battle carving from the Khmer capital of Angkor includes bowmen of some kind, so they were inevitably present in any Khmer or Cham army.

[Ballistas:] This choice seems to reflect the use of elephant-mounted ballistae in Cham armies, and the renowned Phak'ak men of the Khmer (the phak'ak being a curved blade mounted on a long pole). Later Khmer armies also used Samurai swords in small numbers."
So I would say the UU should be either an Infantry unit (some sort of spearman) or a (untowered) Elephant Warrior (perhaps the CtP2 'Alexander' Elephant Warrior sprite could be used for this? It fits the description perfectly) or elephant ballistas.

Code:
KHMER "Khmer"

KHMER_LEADERM_NAME "Deva-Raja Suryavarman VII"
KHMER_LEADERF_NAME "Naga Princess Soma"
KHMER_COUNTRY_NAME "Kampuchea/Kambuja/Angkor/The Khmer Empire/Cambodia???"
KHMER_SINGULAR "Khmer"
KHMER_PLURAL "Khmer"

KHMER_CITY_1 "Yasodharapura"	# repeatedly a Khmer capital (in Angkor area)
KHMER_CITY_2 "Harihalara"	# earliest Khmer capital (in Angkor area)
KHMER_CITY_3 "Angkor Thom"	# twice a Khmer capital
KHMER_CITY_4 "Angkor Wat"	# very important and famous temple-city
KHMER_CITY_5 "Roluos"		# 2nd Khmer capital (only briefly)
KHMER_CITY_6 "Jayendranagari"	# Khmer capital (only briefly)
KHMER_CITY_7 "Koh Ker"		# 4th Khmer capital (only very briefly)
KHMER_CITY_8 "Phimai"		# (briefly) Khmer capital, in present-day Thailand
KHMER_CITY_9 "Phnom Penh"	# important post-Khmer city/capital, Khmer kings fled 
here after caputure of Angkor area by Thai
KHMER_CITY_10 "Isanapura"	# (capital of Chenla, immediate predecessors 
of the Khmer)???
KHMER_CITY_11 "Oc Eo"		# important port city from Funan onwards, in Medong 
Valley (Vietnam)
KHMER_CITY_12 "Wat Phu"		# Khmer city in Laos
KHMER_CITY_13 "Phanom Rung"	# Khmer city in Thailand
KHMER_CITY_14 "Buriram"		# Khmer city in what is now Thailand?
KHMER_CITY_15 "Vientiane"	# current capital of Laos, once a Khmer city
KHMER_CITY_16 "Srisatchanalai"	# Khmer city in what is now Thailand?
KHMER_CITY_17 "Sukhothai"	# first capital of Thailand, sort of a Khmer 'colony'
KHMER_CITY_18 "Kompong Cham"	# Khmer city?
KHMER_CITY_19 "Saigon"		# Khmer city in what is now Vietnam (aka Ho Chi Minh)?
KHMER_CITY_20 "Hue"		# Khmer city in what is now Vietnam?
KHMER_CITY_21 "Aranyapathet"	# Khmer city in what is now Thailand
KHMER_CITY_22 "Ayuthaya"	# Thai capital, once Khmer territory
KHMER_CITY_23 "Lop Buri"	# Thai/Khmer city
KHMER_CITY_24 "Maung Singh"	# Thai/Khmer city
KHMER_CITY_25 "Banteay Srei"	# important structure
KHMER_CITY_26 "Takeo"		# important structure
KHMER_CITY_27 "Pre Rup"		# location of important Khmer city/temples
KHMER_CITY_28 "Phnom Kulen"	# important Khmer city/(very) early Khmer temple
KHMER_CITY_29 "Preah Vihear"	# important city/temple
KHMER_CITY_30 "Beng Melea"	# location of monument built by Suryavarman II
KHMER_CITY_31 "Banteay Samre"	# location of monument built by Suryavarman II
KHMER_CITY_32 "Chey Say Tevoda"	# location of monument built by Suryavarman II
KHMER_CITY_33 "Thommanon"	# location of monument built by Suryavarman II
KHMER_CITY_34 "Ta Phrom"	# location of monument built by Jayavarman VII
KHMER_CITY_35 "Banteay Kdei"	# location of monument built by Jayavarman VII
KHMER_CITY_36 "Neak Pean"	# location of monument built by Jayavarman VII
KHMER_CITY_37 "Sras Srang"	# location of monument built by Jayavarman VII
#less important
KHMER_CITY_38 "Prei Monti"	# location of important (very) early Khmer temple
KHMER_CITY_39 "Preah Ko"	# location of important early Khmer temple
KHMER_CITY_40 "Bakong"		# location of important early Khmer mountain temple
KHMER_CITY_41 "Lolei"		# location of important Khmer temple
KHMER_CITY_42 "Baksei Chamkrong" # location of important temple
KHMER_CITY_43 "Prasat Kravan"	# location of important temple
KHMER_CITY_44 "Phimeanakas"	# location of important temple
KHMER_CITY_45 "Pali"		# site where inscription have been found?
# unknown
KHMER_CITY_46 "Mahendraparvata"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_47 "Preah Khan"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_48 "Suryaparvata"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_49 "Indrapura"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_50 "Sambhupura"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_51 "Beng Mealea"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_52 "Chok Gargyar"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_53 "Chantaburi"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_54 "Banteay Chhmar"	# ???
KHMER_CITY_55 "Muang Tam"	# ???

Last edited by Locutus; December 17, 2001 at 16:59.