Old December 16, 2001, 14:04   #1
Trunks22
Settler

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Selling Improvements
is there a way you can sell or destroy an improvement at a city and rebuild it elsewhere?

cuz i accidentally built my forbidden palace on the same continent (it started constructing that automatically, and i didnt notice it cuz i had so many cities). But i want to rebuild it on another continent to reduce corruption/waste and all that. is there a way this can be done?
Old December 16, 2001, 17:52   #2
Achnor
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:34
Don't know about the FP but you can right-click on improvements and choose to sell it. Maybe FP is different since it's a "small wonder"

Achnor
Old December 18, 2001, 08:38   #3
EricWright
Settler

Local Time: 13:34
Re: Selling Improvements
Quote:
Originally posted by Trunks22
is there a way you can sell or destroy an improvement at a city and rebuild it elsewhere?

cuz i accidentally built my forbidden palace on the same continent (it started constructing that automatically, and i didnt notice it cuz i had so many cities). But i want to rebuild it on another continent to reduce corruption/waste and all that. is there a way this can be done?
Yes, you can sell a city improvement. However, the FP is a small wonder, and can only be built once (by each civ), and thus cannot be sold.

The best way to achieve what you are looking to do is rebuild your palace on the other continent. Then, you will have one "capitol" on each continent.

Good luck
Eric
Old December 18, 2001, 16:59   #4
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 13:34
Has anyone else noticed how worthless it is to sell improvements now? The amont of cash is utterly pitiful. Now, selling improvments is nearly pointless.
Old December 18, 2001, 18:09   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 12:34
Actually, there are cases when selling city improvements can be a good extra income source. I like to keep lots of extra settlers around for expansion purposes, mid to late in the game. If 2 AI are at war, I can sneak settlers in to claim culture gap areas that pop up when AI cities are captured. Also this allows me to raze AI cities in difficult culture situations, and rebuild very quickly. But more often than not, these opportunities don't keep pace with my supply of settlers.

Having these extra settlers sit around and just eat 1 gold per turn isn't very efficient. Building a temporary city with them on unused land, and then building (pop-rushing if available) improvements to sell turns this money drain into positive cash flow. This is assuming a peacetime empire, as if you are at war, its best to use these temporary cities to build military units. When my supply of settlers looks to be shrinking too much, then I can disband the city and have my settler back. This takes a little bit of timing practice, to have them available when they are needed.

The only problem with this situation is if pop rushing, there will be happiness concerns. If you don't have spare luxuries, it isn't worth it to have a garrison unit. One solution is to build a temple first, and not sell it until the city is to be finally disbanded.
Old December 19, 2001, 05:42   #6
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Has anyone else noticed that you can start construction on a bank in a city with a marketplace, then sell that marketplace and the bank will still build normally. The game doesn't even ask you to rebuild a market first, this also happens with libraries and universities.
Old December 19, 2001, 23:55   #7
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 18:34
If you are building improvements to sell them for money you should just put the city on wealth, the gold/production is the same is the gold/shields you get for selling an improvement, and wealth is better once you get that advance that improves it.

If you are selling them from a city you will lose or are going to disband, just do it because you have nothing to lose.

edit: Correction, this can be better than wealth in high corruption areas where you pop rush the improvement. Although it is probably best to pop rush build units anyway.