Old December 16, 2001, 21:49   #1
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What the!?!??!?!!
I'm doing great for once on warlord, I'm building the spaceship and all of a suddent India declares war on me and everyone else did the next turn too. I'd be ok with this because they all suck and taking on 4 armys with calvarys is no problem but war weariness is putting all my citys in disorder. Why does the computer gang up on your as soon as you start to build a spaceship. Nonetheless I try to sigh a mutual pact with them and they won't but they will with every other nation. I'm confused, why doesn't the computer like me?
Old December 16, 2001, 21:52   #2
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This problem has been around since Civ I The AI is programmed to do that.

Try this: wait a few turns and then try and make peace with each civ starting with the weakest. You should be able to cut down your enemies that way - maybe they'll all make peace. The best time to do it is straight after you've won a battle with the civ you're approaching.

I had the whole world ally against me and then a few turns later got the whole world to ally against my main enemy. That never happened in Civ I and II.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old December 16, 2001, 21:54   #3
Bilo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:36
If you are the strongest civ and can't get the others sign MPPs with you, it's either because of your reputation or because you are at war.
As for the war weariness, if you don't station your units in enemy terretory(since you are going for the space race victory, I don't think you need to wage an offensive campaign) and keep enemy troops out of your terretory(i.e. kill them as soon as they enter your borders) the war weariness shouldn't be a big problem.
Old December 17, 2001, 04:56   #4
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 19:36
I never have any problems with war weariness ... as a rule, as soon as I get to republic, I up the luxury rate a bit, more when in Democracy .. its increases the "WLTK" days and reduces corruption which in turn increases my science/tax output ...

Ive spent my entire game in a near constant state of war .. and still have almost all citizens happy/content .. Maybe its because I just love building improvements ??

Also recommend you play a religious civ if your having problems like this, as temples/cathedrals have a greater impact (correct me if im wrong .. I always thought they did anyway)..
Old December 17, 2001, 05:12   #5
rid102
Warlord

Local Time: 18:36
Quote:
Why does the computer gang up on your as soon as you start to build a spaceship.
Probably for the same reason you'd gang up on the computer if one of the AI players starts building a spaceship i.e. you don't want to get beaten.

If you know that you are going to have a spaceship in say, 15 turns, then starting giving away tech and gold to the AI. This generally keeps them friendly and they're not going to have much of a chance to use either.

Quote:
Ive spent my entire game in a near constant state of war .. and still have almost all citizens happy/content .. Maybe its because I just love building improvements ??
Hmmm... maybe on Chieftain, but I've found that war weariness gets progressively worse (i.e. an extra unhappy citizen per turn) after a certain point (IIRC around 20 turns). So, you end up needing about 70% entertainment spending otherwise half your cities are in disorder.

So you can have "near constant state of war" but need to make sure that you do take breaks in between capturing a few cities, otherwise things get out of hand.

Also, cities with foreign citizens (i.e. ones you've just captured) seem to be a lot worse for war weariness; all the foreign citizens seem to immediately turn unhappy as soon as you declare war on their civ (so starve them down).
Old December 17, 2001, 05:26   #6
The Viceroy
Prince

rid102 ..

Good point .. yes, it was on warlord .. so, I take that back if the war weariness is bliting your harder games ...

and true also, foreign workers posted in cities can cause problems .. I never post them in any city .. work them to their deaths but captured cities can be a problem .. I swamp them with home grown workers ... so that they become a minority ...
Old December 17, 2001, 05:31   #7
Siberian Hamster
Settler

If you're having trouble with war weariness then try switching to communism for the duration. Productivity is still pretty good if you're worried that this might slow down the construction of the spaceship.

Of course, it'll help if you're a religious civ so you don't have to worry about those hideous 8 turns of anarchy.
Old December 17, 2001, 06:14   #8
DaShi
Emperor

In CivII, you could often have moments of prolonged peace. Even have no nations at war with anyone. You would even get points depending on how long the peace lasted. This was nice and even somewhat realistic, if all other Civs are considered superpowers. The drawback is that it made the game a little easier.

In SMAC, it was the complete opposite. There were never periods of world peace. The only way to keep yourself out of war was to never talk to any other faction (which is impossible). This made the game more challenging as you had to divert resources to defense unless you were too remote to attack. Yet, it grew annoying that there was no way to ever make peace with certain factions (your opposite or second in power, if you're first).

From what I'm hearing, CivIII follows SMAC more in this respect. Am I right?
Old December 17, 2001, 06:53   #9
rid102
Warlord

Quote:
I swamp them with home grown workers ... so that they become a minority ...
I prefer to starve them down and make them suffer!
Old December 17, 2001, 07:04   #10
The Viceroy
Prince

Most efficient !!!