Old December 17, 2001, 14:49   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 14:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Strategy 4 pack - SMAC, Axis, PG2, ARmy men
browsing, i saw a combo pack with SMAC (which ive been thinking of buying) plus Axis and allies, Panzer gen2 (i think it was 2), and army men. For $20. US.

Now i think SMac can be found alone for $10 or less. Army men is a zero value for me - Im not a big RTS fan to start, but might be interested in say, starcraft - but an RTS about plastic soldiers will either be given away or become a coaster. Axis and allies is, from what ive heard, a very beer and pretzely (ie simple, not quite realistic war game) grand strategic approach to WW2. Not much better than a civ2 WW2 scenario, or is it? And PG is a non-grognard but still more less historically accurate (not like Sudden strike) take on WW2 tactical combat.

So as far as i can see PG is about a $5 value, A&A $1, and Army men 0 = total of $6, not worth it to buy this vs Smac alone (i realize these numbers are small, im just being a little compulsive)

Your thoughts (on the games, not on the compulsiveness )

LOTM
Old December 17, 2001, 17:42   #2
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 18:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1) Well, SMAC has excellent value. The forum on this site will direct you to a number of excellent sceanrios/additional factions/add-ons.

2) Panzer General 2 is worth its weight in gold. It is a classic turn-based WWII wargame. I have the game and it still plays well, especially with all the add-ons being made by a dedicated group of gamers.

There is a ton of new campaigns/scenarios/new equipment files/units, etc.

A starting point would be to check out the following sites:

a) for campaigns, scenarios:

http://www.wargamer.com/pg2campaigns/

b) huge forum focussing on PG2, PG, and other wargames:

http://pub88.ezboard.com/bjpspanzers

3) Axis & Allies - yes beer & pretzel wargame. But it is a nice diversion, and I still play it occasionally.

4) Army men - That game doesn't appeal to me at all.

So, the two best games would be SMAC and PG2 - it works out to be $10.00 each - an excellent bargain in MHO.

Last edited by Leonidas; December 17, 2001 at 17:48.