Old December 17, 2001, 16:21   #1
felder
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Intelligence Agency is worthless?
I've found the Intelligence Agency to be pretty useless. It seems that by the time I get it, everyone else is already a democracy so I can't really spread propaganda. Also it's extremely expensive to use the other features of the Agency, and it always seems to fail for me.

Has anyone actually found a way to apply the Intelligence Agency usefully in their games?
Old December 17, 2001, 16:37   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 13:38
Absolutely. It's one of the best ways to get a civ to declare war on you. Just keep trying to stick a spy in their empire. If you get lucky, the turn you try it, it will be impossible. And if you do it enough they'll declare war.

In one game I was trying to stick a spy in Germany, and i tried it twenty times! in a row! a little after 20 they declared war. (they were weak).

Neat huh?

Yes, it does seem to be prohibitivly expensive to be of any use. And propaganda almost never works anyway.

i don'y play it much anymore anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

on the other hand, the investigate city you get from embasy, is VERY useful, and quite affordable.
Old December 17, 2001, 16:48   #3
felder
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Absolutely. It's one of the best ways to get a civ to declare war on you. Just keep trying to stick a spy in their empire. If you get lucky, the turn you try it, it will be impossible. And if you do it enough they'll declare war.

In one game I was trying to stick a spy in Germany, and i tried it twenty times! in a row! a little after 20 they declared war. (they were weak).

Neat huh?

Yes, it does seem to be prohibitivly expensive to be of any use. And propaganda almost never works anyway.

i don'y play it much anymore anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

on the other hand, the investigate city you get from embasy, is VERY useful, and quite affordable.
Hmm...that's a thought. It never occurred to me to start a war that way. Still seems pretty useless to me though.
Old December 17, 2001, 17:22   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 19:38
Quote:
Originally posted by felder
Also it's extremely expensive to use the other features of the Agency, and it always seems to fail for me.
Anything and everything regarding diplomacy/spy-mission costs can be edited with the help of that CivMod editor -> Diplomats & Spys tab.
Old December 17, 2001, 18:21   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

The only useful thing for it is seeing their space ship progress for timing your trashing of their Capital

Pretty useless otherwise.

RAH
Old December 17, 2001, 19:32   #6
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Well, you get 1 or 2 culture points a turn for it. But that's about it.
Old December 17, 2001, 19:43   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:38
If you want to see what a foreign military is composed of, establishing a Spy (and therefore the Intelligence Agency) is the way to go. Can't disagree with you yet, otherwise.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 17, 2001, 19:50   #8
Stryfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:38
Most of the abilities given by the Intelligence Agency are too expensive to be useful, but the simple ability to plant spies is very useful (so that you can see what other civs militaries are composed of) and just prior to an invasion of a powerful civ, using the investigate troop movement can be very useful also--that way you know where their ICBM's are, their air force, etc, and can attempt to take out those cities as quickly as possible. Otherwise, I don't use it though.
Old December 17, 2001, 23:19   #9
dissent
Chieftain

I find the Intelligence Agency invaluable during wartime, to investigate cities and maybe sabotage production in a select few cities. While in Communism I have little trouble planting my spy. Propoganda doesn't work, but is way too expensive anyway. Why pay when you can achieve the same results via force?
Old December 18, 2001, 00:29   #10
Dida
Prince

it is a good way to provoke a war. that's about it.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old December 18, 2001, 01:12   #11
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 12:38
Sometimes it's worth it to sabotage another civ's production when they are about to beat you to a wonder you have been working on for 50 years.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:23   #12
bigredlemon
Settler

I have tried some 50 times to plant spies under communism, and it almost never works, EXCEPT:
a) We have mutual protection (about 50% chance of success implants)
b)we are at war and i have **** loads of units outside their cities (About 30% chance)

otherwise, the spies never gets in.

After he gets in, only investigate city and steal plans has ever worked....

i think maybe firaxis never finnished the portion, so they just put up some text for show (and take your coins!)
Old December 18, 2001, 05:54   #13
zipnar
Settler

its real nice being able to see how many nukes the enemy has sometimes.
Old December 18, 2001, 08:25   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

I've found the whole espionage angle to be seriously weakened in Civ 3. I use it occasionally in games where the AI has an edge over me and I have a choice of different moves to make. The minute I've got the upper hand or it only becomes practical to attack one opponent it becomes irrelevant because the steady capture, raze, advance tactic is far more cost effective than wasting money on espionage.
Old December 18, 2001, 20:07   #15
felder
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by bigredlemon
I have tried some 50 times to plant spies under communism, and it almost never works, EXCEPT:
a) We have mutual protection (about 50% chance of success implants)
b)we are at war and i have **** loads of units outside their cities (About 30% chance)

otherwise, the spies never gets in.

After he gets in, only investigate city and steal plans has ever worked....

i think maybe firaxis never finnished the portion, so they just put up some text for show (and take your coins!)
That's what I'm saying...the thing seems pretty useless because getting a spy in another civ almost never seems to work...once it does most of the features of the agency don't seem to work. Couldn't they have done something that required far less code to enable someone to get a civ to declare war?

Geeze...how about a "send grandma's nasty fruitcake" option on the diplomacy screen?
Old December 18, 2001, 20:50   #16
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Right now let's get this into perspective.

For examining a city a spy is not needed, just an embassy. This is cheaper and more useful than a spy. It helps to find out when that wonder will be complete, or how many troops are in the city etc.

I can honestly say that I have yet to succeed in making any use of spying without creating some sort of side effect. The side effect often nullifies the gain. The usual result is war, and usually after 1 attempt not 20. The expense of spying is prohibitive given the results, pay loads of money to see spy arrested and war started.