Old December 17, 2001, 18:42   #1
paulmagusnet
Warlord

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just Wondering
Shakespears Theater: Its not that the wonder is bad, just how you get it that makes no sense. First and formost, Shakespear and his contemporaries were fostered by a monarchy, specifically Queen Elizibeths. But for fun, lets say that Democracy was necessary for Free Artistry. Just knowing about Democracy dosn't mean that you can inspire free expression if you continue to exist in a repressive dictatorship. Also, is this something that scientists research? Like the small wonders, Free Artistry (which exists solely for the purpose of this build) should be more the result of certain conditions. One possibility is that the civilization must BE either a Monarchy, Republic or Democracy, and be supporting a number of entertainers and have so many cities at a particular level of culture. You should be required to maintain some minimum conditions to continue to build the wonder, and for it to operate.

The Pyrimids: Everyone's favorit wonder to build and to bash. It just shouldn't do what does in the game. It was a religious artifact and built to insure a prosperous afterlife for the Pharoes. It would make more sense for it to put a shrine in every city, as people feel more secure in their own afterlives. There should be a small wonder, a central grainery, that diverts some percentage of excess food production and either distributes it to hungry connected cities or allows you to sell it.

The UN: This is a real missed opportunity. Instead of being just a device to contrive an alternative victory, it could be a way to change conditions in the game through diplomacy. This was done to some extent in SMAC and I'm supprised that the work was not developed more and grafted into Civilization. The UN should be an method to do interesting things in the world, not just an inert trophy. It should also make conditions for waging war more onerous. In any case, the owner can call a meeting suggest an agenda to vote on. Certain conditions should force a meeting.

The Great Library: This great wonder should continue to function, with some modifications in different ages. The only reason it should stop functioning is when some nice person burns it to the ground. One possibility is that after ancient times, the Library will allow technology exchanges to occur between trading partners. Doing this would make the owner a magnet for trade and help distribute technology a little more evenly.

All wonders, even if obsolete, should become tourist attractions once the industrial or modern ages are reached, and generate some amount of cash if the civilization is at peace.

Why does Hoover Dam produce any culture value at all?
Old December 17, 2001, 19:13   #2
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Why does Hoover Dam produce any culture value at all?
A couple of months ago, my sister and a friend of ours went to Vegas for a few days. One of their stops was to the Hoover Dam. From what they said, it is a very impressive structure. It is quite the tourist attraction and, more importantly from a cultural standpoint, it was a monumental feat of engineering for the time (1930s).
Old December 17, 2001, 19:17   #3
TrainWreck20
Warlord

Hoover Dam, I think I can underdstand. I would guess it is considered to represent a technological leap as much as a tourist attraction when adding culture.

Does the Intel. agency and Manhattan project add culture? Have not paid that much attention...would seem to be odd if they did, along with a few others.
Old December 17, 2001, 23:24   #4
dissent
Chieftain

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind Hoover Dam earning Culture. I've been there three times on the way to Vegas and always stop to take a look. It's especially cool at night when there's very few people there. It was very peaceful actually. It shouldn't provide as much as Sistine Chapel (and doesn't), but should provide a little bit.

The Intelligence Agency provides 2 points, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I guess it could be rationalized. Manhattan Project definitely shouldn't give any culture. I can't remember whether it does either.