Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

Physician, heal thyself.

Pot: Houston come in.
Houtson: Houston here, go ahead Pot.
Pot: The kettle is black. I repeat, the kettle is black.

(You are looking in a mirror when posting this correct? )
Old December 19, 2001, 17:33   #92
Libertarian
King

Heliodorus,

You're a gentleperson and a scholar. May your great intellect find itself nestled in a peaceful heliosynclasm.

-----

Ozysomethingorother,

Could you start from the beginning? I was paying no attention.
Old December 19, 2001, 17:35   #93
maxpublic
Settler

Local Time: 10:40
ozzy for president
Ozymandous, you should really think about a career in politics. Your skill at distorting and misrepresenting virtually every word ever uttered by those you don't agree with, along with your obvious and eager willingness to bend over and take it in the ass from those you deem to be a higher authority, makes you the perfect sort of bottom-feeding scum-sucker that Americans like to elect into office.

Yes, do think it over. Perhaps while erecting your next platoon of strawmen?

Max
Old December 19, 2001, 17:37   #94
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Webster

I don't really care what Lib posts or how often. He caught my attention this time because I too dislike the unit movement issues in this game.
Does anyone like having to move massie stacks of units? Nope, although few people posted as much or in such an attitude as Libertarian did. Hence all the other posts knocking himn on it. Oh, and it wasn't just me doing so, lol..

Quote:
I have the option/choice like others to not read anybodys posts or threads. I might disagree with somebody but I believe everybody can post what they want or how often they want as long as they stay within forum rules.
Yep, and forum rules also talk about personal attacks, profanity, etc. Disagreeing with someone is also allowed, no?

Quote:
Free speech my man, positive or negative it should all be out in the open, it is your choice whether you want to read it, disagree with it, whatever.
Sorry, but "free speech" doesn't give you the right to be rude to other people. That's an excuse, nothing more.

Quote:
But to tell people not to express themselves is silly, however much you don't like what they are saying.
I agree. I never said he shouldn't post, but that he should post in a different manner (yes I know this applies to me as well at times ).
Old December 19, 2001, 17:40   #95
jbrians
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:40
Quote:
Ozymandous (sic):

Lib's fantasy response from Jeff.

The ideal answer would have acknowledged the intelligence, humanity, and integrity of those who posed the question. Something like this:

I just want to say on behalf of Firaxis that we greatly appreciate these kinds of suggestions for improving gameplay. We can't think of everything, and so we depend on good people, like the ones in this community, to help us with great ideas like this one. I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but at this point, we're currently reviewing exactly the issue you raise. We agree that it would contribute greatly to gameplay, and if we can find a way to implement it, we'll let you know. Thanks, Lib.

If they can't code this, then they need to go program databases or something.

(edited for spelling)
Give me (and them) a break. The tone of Jeff's response was well matched (in fact quite a bit more graciouse) to the tone of your original post. The tone of your fantasy post is completely un-warrented considering
a) your idea was not a great one that no-one had yet mentioned
b) your post was rude

On a seperate note, I can guarantee you that the issue is not whether or not the firaxis devs can code this up, but whether their managers think it is worth the number of dev and test man-hours it will cost. Most likely Dev has given its estimate to management, and management is deliberating as to whether or not this feature is more important than scenario/editor features they would have to cut to do it, or whether or not releasing a second patch is cost-effective at all.
-Brian
Old December 19, 2001, 17:49   #96
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Barchan

*sigh* I guess in your rush to chide me for expressing my opinion, you overlooked my point entirely.
lol, rush? Nah, no rush, people not reading fully and only believing what they want will be around for a long time, no rush to answer that.

Quote:
It's not about Libertarian, it's about Jeff and Firaxis. Regardless of Libertarian's actions or posts, Jeff's response was a poor statement to the public on behalf of his firm. His comment wasn't for Lib's personal consumption, nor was it "off-mike". It was thrown out in the open, and it was, essentially, "we'll say something when we feel like it."
Umm, no. YOUR view of it was that. My view was that they have taken the considerations under view, and when they know more, i.e. if they can or cannot add it, they will let us know. There is a differnce. Maybe not to you, but to myself and others, we saw the difference.

Quote:
I understand the concerns of Firaxis and how they don't want to feed the rumor mill with hints of possible features that may never be. And, yes, it's my opinion that the response was untactful, if not inappropriate. If Jeff were fed up with him for posting the same thing thrice, he could have said “As I’ve said previously, we don’t have any information on the possibility of these features at this time.”
lol, and THEN he would have been blasted for being arrogant "look, he said he told us this or that previously, who is he to talk to me like that???" or worse. lol, do you read these forums as well, or just pop in occasionally?

Quote:
You don’t just tell people seeking information “when we have something concrete to say about them, we’ll tell you.” Read that carefully, pal.
I have read it, it says when they know more, they will officially let us know. Until then they will NOT comment on what may or may not be patched (you DID read Jeff's post on that in the patch thread, right?)

Quote:
Leave out the word “concrete”.
Why would I leave that word out when it WAS included in his response, probably for that exact reason. You can try to spin it anyway you want but until the word CONCRETE is OFFICIALLY removed the statement still stands how HE said it, not how YOU want it to read.

See the difference?

Quote:
Now what’s it say?
It still says what Jeff said it did because I, unlike you, didn't presume to put MY OPINION on what Jeff meant, rather on what he DID say.

Quote:
It says “don’t call us, we’ll call you,” and that’s a pretty poor approach to customer relations, no matter what the product is.
Well, if he had left out the word "concrete" then I'd probably agree with you. Since he didn't, regardles of how you WANT it to be gone, I won't agree. It's that simple.

Quote:
You didn’t by any chance work for Ford in the eighties did you?
*talking on phone*
“Fer cryin’ out loud, you dimwit! For the third time now, when we find concrete evidence that rear-end collisions cause the Pinto to burst into flames, we’ll call you!
*slams phone down*
“Jeeze, all these burn victims seem to want personal attention to their cases. What whiners!”
Poor analogy. A better one would be you dropping a suggestion in a drop box at a resturant and the manager saying "thanks, we read each one."

Quote:
The bottom line is that if the public asks questions, you ought to respond either professionally, tactfully and honestly or not at all.
Hmm, you mean like how the government always tells the public everything they want to know? How companies always tell everything they are doing? Umm, yeahsureright, that always happens..
Old December 19, 2001, 17:53   #97
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Webster

There are alot of great games out there that don't require a computer to play them. Its when you bring computers, programmers etc into the loop is where the trouble could start. Computers and programmers have come a long way and have done some amazing things but sometimes the complexity of making a PC game can ruin a possibly great game. All I was saying its too bad programming a group unit system into the game could be extremely difficult as stated by others. Adding this feature would improve this game would it not, therefore making it better or maybe even great IMHO.
Yes and no. Sometimes great games, like Avalon Hill for example, are made into PC games and are horribly, horribly butchered. Other times something like Baldugrs Gate 2 can bring a non-PC type game and make it a lot of fun as well.

I don't think it's the problem with coding a game that is the problem but how the game designers develop the game. Yep, it's too bad that all games aren't made with hooks all over the place to easily add and remove stuff, but if that were the case games would likely take 2-3 times as long to complete.

Oh well. Maybe it will be perfect one day, but as long as humans code it it'll never be 100% perfect.
Old December 19, 2001, 17:58   #98
Ozymandous
Prince

Re: ozzy for president
Quote:
Originally posted by maxpublic
Ozymandous, you should really think about a career in politics. Your skill at distorting and misrepresenting virtually every word ever uttered by those you don't agree with, along with your obvious and eager willingness to bend over and take it in the ass from those you deem to be a higher authority, makes you the perfect sort of bottom-feeding scum-sucker that Americans like to elect into office.

Yes, do think it over. Perhaps while erecting your next platoon of strawmen?
lol, amusing.

Are you always so quick to label and attack everyone who doesn't agree with you? Or are you naturally rude and arrogant as to think you're the center of the world and saw no problem with the TONE of Libertarian's posts?

I didn't distort anything and generally don't like politicians either (for whatever thats woirth). However I will sya what I think and stand by it. Heck, I'll even admit when I AM wrong without blaming the other person. That's more than some folks here do.

I assume you hate the game and want everything now as well, with little to no real world experience beyond your own "instant gratification" impulses?
Old December 19, 2001, 18:00   #99
Libertarian
King

Brian,

I think you're right. There's no doubt in my mind that ethical duty toward the gaming community is no consideration. That was made clear enough.

As to rudeness, I've already apologized for mine. I like making unacknowledged apologies to people whose salaries I help pay. There's something surreal about it. And after all, I am a Dali fan.
Old December 19, 2001, 18:02   #100
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:

Ozysomethingorother,

Could you start from the beginning? I was paying no attention.
Yes I know, that much was obvious...

Oh, and I fully explained the origin of my "handle". I see you still have not risen above the childish attempts to invalidate what I say because of my name. lol, if I had labelled myself "Bubba" would you call me a back-wood hick as well instead of refuting my points? lol...

Still waiting on a logical answer, not an attack, not something trying to dismiss what I say, not a response of "well you're wrong so I am not going to bother." lol, if I AM that wrong it should be easy to prove me so, correct? Every debate calss I ever entered, attemded, etc, proved that simple concept.
Old December 19, 2001, 18:05   #101
Ozymandous
Prince

By the way...
Thanks everyone for the fun today.

Was amusing to "fend" (*yawn*) off all the logical points where everyone proved me wrong. As for me, it's 5 PM and time to go home..

See yah tommorrow.
Old December 19, 2001, 18:07   #102
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
So, tell me, in all your years of coding, have you EVER directly answered or even acknowledged all of the end-users who might employ your software and told each and every one of them what you stated above??
Regardless of mass numbers of customers, or large companies that purchase your product(s) you still, either by contract or personal notification, or even email owe your clients/customers information as they request it. If you do not, you lose business. How many times do I have to explain that to you? Or are you just being ignorant to the matter?

Quote:
Have you EVER, in all your whole twenty years of coding commercial software had an application that was used by more than a thousand or so people? Have you EVER in all your years of producing "commercial" software even went back and added FREE features to your products after it shipped? Or did you charge folks for the "add-on" features, even if some folks thought they should have been in there to begin with?
Have you ever been so stubborn that you miss the entire point? Business' OWE client information, especially prior to the contract. We're not talking about a "business deal" we're talking about a *GAME* and we pay for this game! So your point is mute. If you design software, regardless of your "thousands" of fans, you owe PR and Technical Support, otherwise (DUH) your customers become angry. And again, there are other ways to respond to the public and answer everyone's issues without actually having to talk to them one on one, are you aware of that? Or are you again being ignorant?

Quote:
My guess is that most of these are no. Even if you did reply to the limited (guessing) people who give feed-back on the product you don't put out FREE improvements. Trust me, I have been USING commercial software for at least 10 years and have YET to see any major improvements in said software without paying. As for your comment of "we're so sorry we didn't answer each and every *****, whine or complaint, how may we spend time doing that instead of actually WORKING on these features" spew, well, I have said it before and I'll say it again.

I'd RATHER have the prgrammers and sesigners working on trying to add the stuff we suggest than to have then here stroking a few people's reproductive organs just because said people want to feel good about themselves.
You've gotta be joking. "Stroking our egos" you really think thats what this big war is about? Maybe your that privilaged little yuppy who *actually* get's replies from Firaxis, or perhaps you're just easy to satisfy. But we've obviously been mistreated, why the !@# else would we be doing this, use your head! And are you trying to tell me that they simply "don't have time to answer the public" due to production issues? Your joking right? How long does it take you to go through all these forums, a month? I can go through Poly, Fanatics and Yahoo/Hotmail answering possibly hundreds of emails in a few hours! So don't tell me they dont have the time or the man-power to distribute for PR. Thats a crock. I have said it before and I'll say it again.. they can comb the forums (takes about 2 hours, MAYBE) and then they can respond in ONE post. Get it yet? If you don't I'll just keep explaining it until you do. Otherwise give me a GOOD reason why they can't do that!

Quote:
You've gotten your response from Jeff, he knows what people want, what the hell more do you want, other than having your "ego" stroked???
The only thing being stroked in these forums are the hairy palms from all the exagerating little Firaxis-Lawyers in this forum. Jeff, DID NOT answer Lib's question! Sure, he responded, but he didn't disclose any information! Why? Top-Secret Game? Was he in the middle of sex while writing the email? C'mon, give me a good reason why he couldn't have said something like "I'm sorry, we haven't started any of those features, be we fully intend on design them!" huh? Or how about this one "I'm sorry, we've been discussing the features, but we don't yet have a plan to begin the design/code portion" well? You know what, don't bother, there is nothing you could say to convince me, Lib, or even Yin or the others. Because you're point is mute and makes no sense!

Charles.
Old December 19, 2001, 18:15   #103
XPav
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesUFarley

Oh, you're a bright one. I thought I addressed this issue with you in another thread, I guess you though that by moving somewhere else that I wouldn't notice you eh?
Check the dates on my posts buddy. I didn't move, I was responding to EVERY SINGLE THREAD Lib started.

Quote:
Would you ever talk to your customers that way, not a chance. If you don't give customers the information about the product, they simply become un-interested and go to another store. Lets talk facts, not crap. It seems like so many people are struggling with the fact that WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS! Think about this!
Yes, I have talked to my customers in this way. I have given out the exact same answer than was given out to Firaxis. "I know you want that, but I don't know if we'll do it or not." My customer didn't seem to mind. Then again, my customers are in the same business as me, and understand me when I tell them the truth.

Quote:
Fan: Are you currently working on the stacked movement feature?
Firaxis: I dont have any information, therefor I wont say anything.

What !@#$'n kind of answer is that? If I treated customers that way, I would get fired faster than I can say "Civ3 sucks".
Its the truth. They know you want it, they haven't decided on whether or not they are going to put it in, and so they have nothing to tell you. However, they're being hounded for an answer, so they give the only one they know.

Quote:
Then they say "no" so what! It's not like we're going to commit suicide over a game. They're answers should carry information, not vague evasive cop-outs!
If they say no, then people WILL jump on them for not responding to the wishes of the community. Been there, seen that.

Quote:
Who said anything about "flowery suck-ups".
Lib did. His paragraph long "your business is important to us and we take every single suggestion blah blah" was a flowerly piece of prose SAYING THE EXACT SAME THING as Firaxis said. Go back and read it. Most of it was ego-stroking PR babble.

Do you want ego stroking PR babble? If you want good ego stroking PR babble, then Firaxis needs to send a PR person in here. Do you want a PR person in here?

One more time:

Do you want PR people here or do you want game designers/programmers in here?
Old December 19, 2001, 18:33   #104
Libertarian
King

Quote:
[...shrug...]

Makes little difference to me whether I get the brush-off from Tweedle Dum or from Tweedle Dee.
Old December 19, 2001, 19:52   #105
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by XPav

Check the dates on my posts buddy. I didn't move, I was responding to EVERY SINGLE THREAD Lib started.
Blah blah blah... whatever.

Quote:
Yes, I have talked to my customers in this way. I have given out the exact same answer than was given out to Firaxis. "I know you want that, but I don't know if we'll do it or not." My customer didn't seem to mind. Then again, my customers are in the same business as me, and understand me when I tell them the truth.
Well you've killed your own point, "regulars" and "friends" do not count. I was referring to someone who is new to that enviroment (store). What do you do if the customer insists on the information and your "Owner-Superior" says "We have no idea, but we'll tell you when we have something concrete". Let's see....

A) Customer leaves, goes to different store.
B) Customer agrees, patiently awaits for another day.
C) Customer tells you where to go, and how to get there fast.

Chances are, "A" is the more common response when you treat customers like that. In other words YOU LOSE BUSINESS. And if your doing that where you work, I feel sorry for your companies profit margin, because your slacking with their money.

Quote:
Its the truth. They know you want it, they haven't decided on whether or not they are going to put it in, and so they have nothing to tell you. However, they're being hounded for an answer, so they give the only one they know.
Good point. But we're not asking for promises or definates. We're asking for "progress reports" what are they working on, and have they had any success with those specifics etc. Don't twist the issue. They can give us that information without compromising anything. "I'm sorry I have nothing to say, so I won't say it" is a bullsh_t response. And that definetly is disqualified as any type of answer! The answer must contain information regarding their progress or success in the matter, or its NO answer at all. And beleive me THEY HAVE THOSE ANSWERS! They are working on all of those things now. To not answer, on reveals them as trying to "hide".

Quote:
If they say no, then people WILL jump on them for not responding to the wishes of the community. Been there, seen that.
Sorry, but in the real world, they could be the best game company on the face of earth. And the politest people in the world, customers will ALWAYS be a pain in the ass. When a customer is disatisfied, you have two choices... ignore them (which poors salt on the wound) or help them. Simple.

Quote:
Lib did. His paragraph long "your business is important to us and we take every single suggestion blah blah" was a flowerly piece of prose SAYING THE EXACT SAME THING as Firaxis said. Go back and read it. Most of it was ego-stroking PR babble.
Sorry I didn't read anything like that. That's your opinion, not a fact. His questions made complete sense to me. Jeff's answer was lame though.

Quote:
Do you want ego stroking PR babble? If you want good ego stroking PR babble, then Firaxis needs to send a PR person in here. Do you want a PR person in here?
Again, assisting customers who "whine" has nothing to do with ego anything. It's called "they paid for the product" so you "give them what they want". I know it sounds like a bullsh_t way to do things, but thats the way customers wanna be treated when they buy things. Don't you want some ass kissing in a store once in a while when you go shopping? Don't you enjoy it when the store-employees treat you with utter respect and often royalty, in order to win your sale? Think about it.

Quote:
One more time:
Both! A PR person always ready and available to answer questions, and when the PR person can't ... a designer steps in and does! Simple logic. Not Whining, not royalty, not ego-stroking, blah blah bullsh_t. Simple consumer respect via helpful/truthful information. And..."We don't have anything concrete right now, so I can't say" is a response, NOT an answer. All that's doing is "walling" people out.

Charles.
Old December 19, 2001, 19:53   #106
maxpublic
Settler

Re: Re: ozzy for president
Quote:

lol, amusing.

Are you always so quick to label and attack everyone who doesn't agree with you? Or are you naturally rude and arrogant as to think you're the center of the world and saw no problem with the TONE of Libertarian's posts?
Strawman *and* misdirection. Really, I'd think it cunning if you weren't so obviously clueless.

Quote:
I assume you hate the game and want everything now as well, with little to no real world experience beyond your own "instant gratification" impulses?
Strawman again. Your posts alone could keep the strawman industry pumped up for years to come.

I enjoy the 80% or so of the game I own. I'd just like Firaxis to finish the other 20% and post it as a patch, as I've already paid for the finished product.

But whether they do or not, in the end you're still a scum-sucker. You've proven that time and again with your posts.

Max
Old December 19, 2001, 20:37   #107
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
Quote:
If they can't code this, then they need to go program databases or something.
Hm. So a career as an Oracle DBA or Programmer is a piece of cake?

Maybe Programming in FoxPro is actually a walk in the park?

Cool, because both jobs pay very well, if it's that easy I'll take it up in my spare time. Thanks Lib for the tip off.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 19, 2001, 23:47   #108
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolyana

Hm. So a career as an Oracle DBA or Programmer is a piece of cake?

Maybe Programming in FoxPro is actually a walk in the park?

Cool, because both jobs pay very well, if it's that easy I'll take it up in my spare time. Thanks Lib for the tip off.
Oh you're cool. We're you just brain farting, or did you actually have a good point to make here? Preferably a productive one?

Charles.
Old December 20, 2001, 04:49   #109
Barchan
Warlord

Quote:

:::too many quotes to fully reproduce:::

Why would I leave that word out when it WAS included in his response, probably for that exact reason. You can try to spin it anyway you want but until the word CONCRETE is OFFICIALLY removed the statement still stands how HE said it, not how YOU want it to read.
Whatever, dude. I'm not even going to go through the tedium of parsing your "argument" to deal with it. Suffice it to say that for someone who insists that I have to read an entire statement, unabridged, to get its overall true meaning (Eek! Don’t read between the lines, you’ll pervert the message being force-fed to you!), you sure are eager to pick everyone else's apart to turn them toward your own personal agenda. Your naïveté, though, is stunning; I hope you genuinely enjoy getting tipped over and pronged by every government official, corporate mouthpiece and plain-old-snake-oil-salesman that speaks to you.
Old December 20, 2001, 06:24   #110
Libertarian
King

Database programming, with the possible exception of BTrieve, is almost trivial since nearly all the complexity is encapsulated in the DB engine itself. It's just a matter of familiarity with syntax. It's not just a walk in the park, it's a ride through the park in a Rolls Royce.

But it pays more than games programming because it is more mission critical to more businesses.
Old December 20, 2001, 06:55   #111
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep, that says a lot about you.
Ok, Ozy. You're still having either trouble to understand things, either are not really honest in your attempt to understand, but you were flamed and did not flamed in response. It's perhaps just out of pride, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and see if there is something worth in all of this.

Quote:
Hmm, so your sole argument here is that "all games have evolved and will evolve so therefore, ALL games should be better now than they were 5 years ago". Is this correct? I just want to make sure this is what you're saying before I give examples of games published a week, month or 6 months ago that PALE in comparison to games published 5+ years ago.
No this is not correct at all. I said that game evolve, and so games now SHOULD be better than games published 5 years ago. The difference is in SHOULD : they SHOULD be better, but ARE not always better. But as they SHOULD be better, I'll be much less forgiving on the flaws that actual games are, providing these flaws are below the actual criteria.
Graphics are the best example here, as NOBODY will accept 320x200 graphics anymore whatever the game, though they didn't mind ten years ago.

Quote:
Hmm, question for you. Have you played Red Alert 2 by Westwood? If so you'll notice that the units cannot move in formations, nor can you have the production buildings queue up additional units, also you cannot have more than one building produce units of that type at a time. In other words you can't produce troops from more than one barracks even if you have more than one.

Ok, now then, have you played Age of Kings? If so you'll notice you CAN move in formation, you CAN build multiple units from multiple buildings at once.

Now then, both of these games are in the RTS genre. Since Red Alert 2 came out AFTER Age of Kings then by your logic it should have everything that Age of Kings had, correct? This despite the fact that the games had different people designing them and writing the code.

See the difference? Just because the people at one game company include a feature in their game doesn't mean that ALL games of that type will have that same feature.
You just prove my point. Red Alert 2 is actually one of the worst pile of **** that I ever seen on the RTS field, precisely because it did not include any of the evolution of RTS during the time. Just seeing how good it is selling prove that the average buyer doesn't really know what he's buying. Ah well, after all Survivor was a best-seller also. I should be used to the bad taste of people...

Dune 2 had no instant click order (you had to click "M" then left-click on the map for the unit to move, click "A" then on the ennemy unit for the unit to attack), no group move (only one unit at the time, and no other options). Can you sincerely tell me that you would accept this interface for any actual RTS ? Can you sincerely tell that if a RTS was so castrated in its interface it would not be purely inacceptable ?
Though, Dune 2 was the very best AT THIS TIME.

Quote:
Should stacked movement be added, or should it have been in the game from the start? I would think YES, it should have been there or at least added, but that DOESN'T mean it should be automatically just because another company did this feature in their game.

Still following along? Good.
Still following, AND disagreeing. An evolution in interface and gameplay should always be considered. If not included, then it should be for good reasons. NO good reasons exists for no stacked movement. So it SHOULD be here.

Quote:
Hmm, another bad analogy. Your original complaint, which I responded to, is this:

"it's easy to program all these things in, they should have done it"

To which I replied that unless you have actually written code for a commercial product you really DON'T know how hard or easy it is to program this stuff into the game.

Understand a little better now? Good.
Now, it was a good analogy. I don't have built a car engine neither, and I still can tell when an engine is amazingly powerful and when an engine is weak, just by comparing them to others. I know that a Viper engine is more powerful, and faster than a Ford Escort one, and still I don't have to understand how it works precisely. Just have to look at the concurrence.
And then, looking at the concurrence, I can say that stacked movement is doable and seems not that hard to do.

Okay, now do you understand better ?
Old December 20, 2001, 10:04   #112
ratbert9
Settler

Very interesting thread, this is turning out to be better then a catfight at a red neck bar on a Saturday night. But getting back to serious a point, why don’t you settle this issue like real men, here is my proposal.

The following proposal is predicated on the following conditions:
- We get a MP patch/upgrade.
- The major bugs, not fixed with the latest patch 1.16f, get fixed.
- Everyone who wants to participate accepts a neutral moderator,, and the moderator sets initial conditions and resolves disputes.

Proposal: A MP game involving the major combatants from this thread. Updates will be provided, and the only insults/flames allowed will be in regards to one's ability to play Civ III. Someone could even contact the people from Fireaxis and see if they would like to participate (Just think of the following negotiation, "What do you need for gems?", "The ability to move a stack of units with one keystroke, released in the next patch").

Last edited by ratbert9; December 20, 2001 at 10:11.
Old December 20, 2001, 10:08   #113
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Re: Jeffrey Morris: Dan Magaha said to ask you these two questions
Quote:
Dan Magaha said to ask you. Okay, so we're asking.

-----

This single oversight has turned Sid's famous "just one more turn" into "oh lord, not another turn".

Quote:
(Yes, I know that you're supposed to be able to right-click and activate a group of units, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK. Mkay? A couple of them might activate as expected, but then it's right back to the random herky-jerky all over the map.)
Maybe you already know this, I don't know, but try this: Right-click on your stack of units to get the list of units. Hold down the [SHIFT] key and left-click the units you want to activate. Exit the menu.

It has been my experience that you'll be able to move all the units in that stack, in turn, before the program takes you to a different unit to move. Just my experience. Maybe I've been lucky.
Old December 20, 2001, 23:57   #114
zoyd
Settler

Libertarian logic
Lib,

You're probably ticked at me for calling a statement of yours 'stupid' on another thread, but you're aces on this one.

Both suggestions are good ones, and your defense of your tone has been exemplary.

I often wonder how Civ3 would end up given two possible worlds -- one in which the realists whine and gripe and ask/demand patches and fixes, and another which is just full of the brown-nosed sycophantry so often espoused here.

Bottom line: the whiners are trying to make Firaxis make a better product -- and they'd get it. The moaning (and honestly good suggestions) would end up with Civ 3 version 1.94f or something.

The sycophants would lap up every oversight as a 'feature' and end up with Civ3 version 1.10, because there would be no demand for a polished product.

And which version would anyone rather play?

(wondering out loud)... If Wonder movies are so tough to produce, why not at least include the old ones, you know? So, like, we don't feel as though we're getting LESS product than we did w/Civ2?
Old December 21, 2001, 06:23   #115
Libertarian
King

Re: Re: Jeffrey Morris: Dan Magaha said to ask you these two questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Kraken

Maybe you already know this, I don't know, but try this: Right-click on your stack of units to get the list of units. Hold down the [SHIFT] key and left-click the units you want to activate. Exit the menu.

It has been my experience that you'll be able to move all the units in that stack, in turn, before the program takes you to a different unit to move. Just my experience. Maybe I've been lucky.
You've been lucky. As per what you quoted from me, it doesn't always work as expected. (In fact, it usually doesn't.) But thanks for trying to help. That's certainly more than Jeff has done.
Old December 21, 2001, 13:20   #116
gachnar
Chieftain

Re: Libertarian logic
Quote:
Originally posted by zoyd
I often wonder how Civ3 would end up given two possible worlds -- one in which the realists whine and gripe and ask/demand patches and fixes, and another which is just full of the brown-nosed sycophantry so often espoused here.

Bottom line: the whiners are trying to make Firaxis make a better product -- and they'd get it. The moaning (and honestly good suggestions) would end up with Civ 3 version 1.94f or something.

The sycophants would lap up every oversight as a 'feature' and end up with Civ3 version 1.10, because there would be no demand for a polished product.
So.

Which camp do I fall into? Everyone has been calling me a "fanboy" simply because I try to get people to show some respect toward Firaxis. I guess the only way to help Firaxis is to call them incompetant, stupid, ignorant, etc. Yeah... That usually works real well.

Mechanic: So... Just an oil change and check the filters?
Whiner: Yes, you idiot. And could you check the alternator belt too, you incompetant loser.

I'm sure thats the best way to get good help.

No one thinks these are bad ideas. I disagree with how they are posted. Apparently Yin ("The Lord of all that is Good and Light") posted a list of things to fix in SMACX. I wonder. Did he use a condescending tone like Lib does constantly? Does he outright insult them like Desert Dog, one of my personal favorites of the Whiner crowd? I really dont know. I cant remember reading it.

I've posted the things that I would like fixed. I'm pretty sure somebody from Firaxis read them. I'm sure that calling them the devil-spawn of Maryland won't make them act on it more.

Why do people think that yelling and making people angry will get things done better? Its so childish. When you get any social skills you realize its much easier to get people to do things if you make them think that they want to do it. Give Firaxis ideas. Give them ideas of how to implement it. Let them know that you will be thankful when its implemented.

I'm also going to ignore the fact that Firaxis knew about grouped movement 2 days after the US release. Soren acknowledged it. This is nothing new. But Libertarian decided to make a big deal of it, and has now manufactured a reason to complain to Firaxis. This would be no different than Alexanders Horse jumping in and complaining about Firaxis not including MP in the patch.

Quote:
(wondering out loud)... If Wonder movies are so tough to produce, why not at least include the old ones, you know? So, like, we don't feel as though we're getting LESS product than we did w/Civ2?
Oh. See. This is what annoys me about gamers.

Take your pick:

1) Wonder Movies
2) More Zoom Levels
3) Pseudo-Intelligent Unit selection
4) Group Movement
5) Editor Improvements
6) Multiplayer Support

You really want them to spend their time on trying to get useless Wonder movies to play? Or do you think that the code is already there, they just decided the movies would be only 1 frame?

I would rather they spend their time actually improving the game.

[ This space for rent ]
Old December 21, 2001, 13:42   #117
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just wanted to say I am ENTIRELY supporting these two aspects. I know Firaxis knows them too... just hope they're not pushing it later and later just for the bang for the buck (something like that).
Old December 21, 2001, 13:58   #118
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

A whiner isn't someone that criticize and try to find ways to make things better than they are. A whiner is the one that says something is bad without generally even saying why and giving solution, or just repeating what was already said over and over. Total waste of time.
Old December 21, 2001, 14:05   #119
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Did he use a condescending tone like Lib does constantly?
We believe that it has erred in its assessment of our tone.