Old December 18, 2001, 11:11   #1
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Queen of no land
I haven't seen this "feature" mentioned by anyone, so I thought I'd bring it up. I'm currently playing a game as Germany. England used to be my next door neighbors.. until I decided to terminate them. After conquering their last city I expected to get the "civ destroyed" message, but that didn't happend. So, I thought, they have another city somewhere. I requested their world map and they complied. Problem is that they didn't have any cities left. I've also tried to plant a spy and establish embassy/spy on their civ, but nothing happens. No wonder since they have no cities. I know they have a frigate or two sailing around, and I only assume that they have a settler keeping them from being wiped out as a civilization.

Well, that was in 1600 and something. The date now is 1850. In the meantime the English have apparently been trading, they have some money and some tech. I also know that they've been involved in wars in that period. But how can a civ survive for 200 years (still counting) without a single city?? And don't tell me there's a city somewhere. I've checked it in every way possible. I guess they've adapted to life constantly at the high seas and are just sailing around looking for some free land to settle... )

Fred
Old December 18, 2001, 12:29   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
I guess they've adapted to life constantly at the high seas and are just sailing around looking for some free land to settle...
heh, funny story. but certainly possible.
Old December 18, 2001, 12:58   #3
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 20:40
Yep, maybe, if there is still a settler somewhere and the English have still some financial Reserves to supply him with Gold
Old December 18, 2001, 14:03   #4
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
Soldier: Sir, English nomads landing on the coast!
English Nomad: Arrrrr! Avast maties! Be ye having some land we could settle? We have gold...
Captain: Alright, here is a map. This area is called Zululand. They have LOTS of land!
Soldier: *Snicker*
Old December 18, 2001, 15:11   #5
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Soldier: Sir, English nomads landing on the coast!
English Nomad: Arrrrr! Avast maties! Be ye having some land we could settle? We have gold...
Captain: Alright, here is a map. This area is called Zululand. They have LOTS of land!
Soldier: *Snicker*

Preheheheeh

Sad thing is, I won't know how it ends, 'cos I've installed the patch. So the game keeps crashing.

Fred
Old December 18, 2001, 16:22   #6
Thomas Paine
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:40
Quote:
I guess they've adapted to life constantly at the high seas and are just sailing around looking for some free land to settle... )
Hilarious scenario!

The same exact thing happened during my very first game. Only I was the French and the "phantom menace" was the Russians. All of their cities were destroyed, I had access to everyone's world map, and yet they survived right through the end of the game. Personally, I think it was just Catherine the Fat, shacking up with old Frederick of Germany. They look like they could be married, sort of a Fred and Ethel Murtz thing going on... .

...But that's another story.