Old February 1, 2002, 11:18   #31
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 19:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
siredgar: Yes, that is impressive. Poland has never controlled more territory than equal to 2/3 of the area of Western Europe. However, don't you think that, many of these parts were not really influenced by the Korean civilization as much as the 'motherland' (again, I'm not an expert on history, much less Asian history, so correct me if I'm wrong)?
The list I submitted to Wernazuma contained 94 cities, all well within the bounds of Polish civilization influence over the course of history - almost all of them are, in fact, within the borders of the Third Commonwealth. Now, why can't all of these 94 cities be added, as it was done with 91 of the Korean civilization?

LoD

PS. I don't intend this to become a Korea vs. Poland thing - we'll have it later this year anyway ...

-----------
siredgar: BTW, isn't your avatar the space puppy from one of SMAC's graphic files ?
Q3: thanks for the update . BTW, you know that owo still exists?
Old February 3, 2002, 17:02   #32
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 13:42
I don't see why the Polish shouldn't have 94 cities if the Koreans have 91 of them. In fact, I think every civ should have at least 100 cities each, if that's possible. I'm not arguing with you on that point at all.

As for territorial comparisons, you have to understand that while Korean influence in Manchuria and Siberia is no longer significant, it's not because their occupation of the land was short-lived. In fact, they controlled this territory much longer than the Polish even existed as a people.

It was such a long time ago, however, that the remnants of Korean influence are limited to a small region near the China-North Korea border. Still, there are over two million people that can be identified as ethnically "Korean" in Manchuria today. Many of these people have been living here for thousands of years. There are also tens of thousands of ethnic Koreans in Siberia, but most were either anti-Japanese guerilla fighters, slave laborers for Japanese mines in Sakhalin, or workers taken there by Soviets after they occupied northern Korea.

I never played SMAC. I guess I'm a Civ-purist. The puppy is just so cute though, isn't it?

Last edited by siredgar; February 3, 2002 at 17:08.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:35   #33
LoD
Prince

siredgar: Alright, thanks for the info.

And FYI, it's named Baron Krypto Space Puppy .
Old February 4, 2002, 15:15   #34
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 13:42
Quote:
Originally posted by LoD
siredgar: Alright, thanks for the info.

And FYI, it's named Baron Krypto Space Puppy .
ROFL! That is too funny!

And what role does Baron Krypto play in the game???
Old February 4, 2002, 16:41   #35
LoD
Prince

It plays the role of an easter egg in one of SMAC's graphic files .
Attached Images:

Old February 5, 2002, 23:15   #36
Augusto I
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 15:42
I've been reading the discusion about Polish-German cities and such, and I must tell you that I agree with Wernazuma: duplicating is the best choice. You may ask why (and why am I interfering your thread too ). First reason is that original game includes Jerusalem as a Roman city ,for example, and many other conquered cities. But if you plan to change it, you could tell me that you're going to straighten it too. The other reason is the dificulty I found when creating civilizations, despite the fac that I used a suppously clearer focus: I didn't use nations but cultural groups. The trouble was the same: empires, cultures, countries, civilizations or whatever passed once and again over the same cities. Persian, Sumerian, Asirian at Middle East; Germans (not from Germany, but "germanics" -francs, arrians, etc-), Slavs, etc at Europe and so on. Not to mention Arabs with its middle age expansionism. So that's the way I settled it.

By the way, I'm also turning english names into it's original languages - just a matter of policy, I guess
Old February 6, 2002, 06:42   #37
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
You're not interfering, everyone's welcome here

I also try to make the names in original language in my own private lists but for the "official" Apolyton pack we should stick to English, at least for the most important cities.