Old December 19, 2001, 00:17   #1
ike0481
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Christmas Truce
    Though the Russian American War had been raging for only four seasons, it was already proving to be one of the bloodiest wars in history. The Russians had made a strong offensive in the first moments of the war and had taken Washington, but American forces were able to halt them. However, since they were not able to push the Russians out of American territory, a bitter stalemate began. With neither side pushing the other in one direction or another, both were forced to dig in and fortify amidst constant enemy fire. Trenches miles long were built with only a few hundred yards of "No Mans Land" separating the two adversaries apart.

Julian shivered as the sun faded into a tiny speck over the American horizon as puffy clouds lit up and danced across the sky. Pink and orange clouds stretched as far as the eye could see. Julian had seen the sunset a hundred times before, but sitting in a trench full of muddy slush and blood gave him a different perspective on such things that he normally took for granted. It was bitter cold inside the trenches as the winter wind howled and swirled piercing even the strongest mans soul. A dark figure trounced the beaten path of the trench line as it approached Julian. It was his best friend Joseph crawling toward him in the mud.

"Have you noticed anything strange today?" Julian spoke first.

"What do you mean?" Joseph moaned as he knelt down beside Julian as creaky joints adjusted into position.

"There hasn't been very much gunfire today. I only counted 3 shots all afternoon and we were the only ones firing. Usually around this time we'd have enemy bullets buzzing by all around." Julian whispered. "I wonder what's going on?"

"Don't give it no mind. They're just toying with us. I have here a standing order from the highest-ranking officials to be on full alert. The captain himself expects a full Russian assault within the next few days. You best be prepared." Joseph snapped as he handed Julian a filthy piece of paper. Julian squinted his eyes as he read the soiled letter in the darkness.

"It is thought possible that the enemy may

be contemplating an attack during

Xmas or New Year.

Special vigilance will be maintained

during these periods."

From General Headquarters at New York

- to all units
24th December 1914.

"I bet those dirty Russians are trying to get us to thinkin' that they ain't gonna shoot no more and by the time we get all relaxed and stuff here they'll come a charging." Joseph said filling a lip full of tobacco. Julian folded the paper and handed it down the line. Suddenly an object flung from the Russian trenches soared across no mans land and clanked abruptly as it plopped in the mud next to Joseph.

"Jesus Christ! Get down! It's a grenade!" Joseph screamed as he dove headfirst into the mud. The rest of their regiment jolted for cover within the trench line.

"Here you are you hungry bastards!" A loud Russian voice called out from the enemy trenches.

Julian leaned over and looked at the rusty object. "That's no grenade. It's only a tin can!" He said loudly enough so his regiment would not be further alarmed.

Joseph pulled his muddy face from the sludge. "I wouldn't open that if I were you. There's no telling what they rigged that with or what they got in there."

Julian looked at his friend and studied the object once more. In an act of defiance his dirty hands picked up the rusty can and unscrewed the lid with caution. He hesitated popping open the lid as he eyed his friend who glared at him with eyes that spoke a silent "NO!" Carefully he removed the lid and looked inside the container to find three strips of seasoned beefsteak. Julian unwrapped a strip and with great concern held it close to his nose. It was the first beef he had smelt in months.

"Why did they do that?" Julian whispered to Joseph.
    "Do you really believe those Mother F***ers would just throw three good strips of beefsteak over here as a gift? You're out of your mind. It's probably laced with arsenic poison or something." Joseph growled.

"Well it is Christmas Eve. Maybe they are getting into the spirit of things." Julian grinned as he took a big bite from the delicious steak.

"I'm reporting you to the Captain Bowers. These trenches are getting to you Julian. You've lost your f***ing mind." Joseph roared.

It was a particularly cold and misty Christmas dawn when Julian awoke to see dozens of tiny Christmas trees complete with candles dot the Russian trench line.

"Wake up you lazy dog. Look what the Russians have done while we were asleep." Julian said as he shook Joseph awake.

With a sleepy stretch Joseph peeked over the trench line and fell back to his sleeping position. "I watched them put those damn things up last night. I thought about picking one of them off as they put those stupid trees up there but they are so pathetic it's not even worth it." He grumbled as he fell back asleep. Julian shot Joseph an angry eye behind his back just as loud voices began to call out from the Russian trenches.

"Hey Americans. Come out. We want to talk to you." Julian peeked over the trench line to see seven grubby Russians standing upright in their trenches without their weapons.

"Holy S**t!" Julian yelled as he shook Joseph awake.

"We do not want to fight today. Come out and lets talk." The Russian yells were causing Julian and the rest of the regiment to become quite nervous.

Joseph stirred and looked over the trench line once more. "Will someone get the Captain?" he screamed.

"Do not be afraid Americans. It is Christmas. We do not want to fight today."

Captain Bowers crawled through the trench line and made his way toward Joseph and Julian.

"Captain Bowers. The Russians just started yelling for us to come out and talk to them. I think they have gone mad sir. Probably shell shock." Joseph informed the captain. The captain poked his head over the trench line and saw seven Russians dancing upright in their trenches to what sounded like Russian Christmas carols.

"Be prepared for a Russian attack. Send word down the line to be alert for any activity." The captain ordered. "Just what are these pesky Russians up to?" He whispered to himself.

"Come over here. We have plenty of beer. Lets trade and talk." The Russians continued. "Lets have peace today. It is Christmas. We do not want to fight."

Everyone was getting nervous. The moment was tense as everyone expected a full Russian attack at any instant. Julian stared over the trench line eventually making eye contact with one of the Russian soldiers. Julian glared at him and the Russian smiled back. It was the purest, warmest smile Julian had seen since he left home for the war. The Russians were not up to anything but the Christmas mood. "We have lots of cigarettes and jam to trade with you!" Julian yelled across to the Russian solders.

"Shut your face soldier!" Captain Bowers snarled.

"Meet us half way and we will talk." Julian shouted in defiance of the captain's orders as he took a courageous step of standing upright in the parapet.

"He's gone f***ing nuts!" Joseph yelled as he reached to pull Julian back down to the trench. It was too late. Julian had already taken several steps toward the Russians. Joseph and the rest of the regiment raised their heads and watched as Julian and the seven Russians approached each other in the center of no mans land.

"We do not want to shoot. You do not want to shoot. Why shoot?" A large Russian said in poor English. "Do you have any of, what do you say, cigarettes?"

"We have lots of cigarettes." Julian replied as the large Russian interpreted for the rest of the group.

They smiled. "We can trade for cigars?" The interpreter asked. Julian took out the half of a pack of cigarettes that he kept in his shirt pocket and exchanged it for five large Russian cigars.

"We would like to meet your friends." The interpreter said.

"I don't know if they will come." Julian responded.

"Tell them that we do not want to fight today. Tell them that we traded and that it is Christmas. Give them this barrel of beer." The Russian said as three of the dirty men rolled out a large keg of beer.

Julian walked back towards the American line rolling the keg on the frozen ground. "Captain. The Russians want peace today. They offer this barrel of beer as a Christmas gift." Julian said smiling. "They ask to meet more of us sir."

The captain looked at Julian in awe. "I must be losing my god damn mind." He sat there glaring at Julian in silence. "Very well. Only three soldiers at a time. Send over some fresh loaves of bread with you. Tell them I want to speak to one of their officers. "The captain instructed. "I can't believe I'm allowing this."

Julian persuaded three other soldiers of his regiment to follow him back to the centerline to meet with the Russians.

Moments later a Russian officer appeared and walked out into the middle of no man's land. Captain Bowers stepped out of the trench to meet him, amidst the cheers of both sides. They met and formally saluted. The Russian officer introduced himself as Count Something-or-other and seemed a very decent fellow. He could not talk a word of English. He then called out to his subalterns and formally introduced them, with much clicking of heels and saluting.

"My orders are to keep my men in the trench and allow no armistice. Don't you think it's dangerous, all your men running about in the open like this? Someone may open fire." Captain Bowers said.

The Russian officer called out an order and all his men went back to their parapet. "My orders are the same as yours, but could we not have a truce from shooting today? We don't want to shoot, do you?"

"No, we certainly don't want to shoot, but I have my orders to obey."

After much discussion they agreed not to shoot until the following morning. The captain left the centerline walking slowly as if he couldn't believe what had just happened.

"I must report this to HQ." Captain Bowers said to his regiment. "No more than three soldiers at a time. I do not want these trenches unmanned."

Several hours passed while the captain was gone reporting to headquarters. Upon his return he found the entire American trench line empty. Crowds of men gathered in the center of no mans land amongst the barbed wire exchanging any sort of gift imaginable.

Captain Bowers was furious. "What is going on? You men had orders not to leave our trenches empty!"

"It is ok." The Russian officer spoke up. "As you can see the Russian trenches are completely empty as well. Come, share a drink and your war stories with me." He said kindly. Captain Bowers could do nothing but follow the gesture

"Would you like a photograph with us?" A skinny Russian approached Joseph and Julian with an old still camera in hand. Joseph did not comment but only glared at the Russian with cold eyes.

"It is ok Joseph. For today, the Americans and Russians will be friends." Julian said to Joseph smiling. Joseph hesitated and turned to the skinny Russian and nodded approval as the group of Russians and Americans posed to have their picture taken.

There were games of American football all along the trench line that day. Drunken men laughed and sang carols while dancing together like they had been friends for ages. It was a merry time for Julian and his regiment of worn and weathered soldiers. As it drew close to nightfall the men exchanged mailing addresses and returned to their respective sides where they drained their muddy trenches and took time to properly bury their dead.

Just after nightfall Captain Bowers fired two shots in the air and put up a flag with "Merry Christmas" on it and climbed on the parapet. The Russian officer put up a sheet with "Thank You" on it, and appeared on his parapet. The two bowed and saluted and got down into their respective trenches as the Russian officer fired two shots into the air, and the war was on again.

It had been a wonderful day for Julian. Each night during the war he entertained himself by staring at the sky smiling as he remembered the events of the Christmas truce.

Russian and American troops

Christmas Day - 1914

This was a story that I though might put everyone in the Christmas Spirit. It was based largley on events of WWI but the idea came from a recent game in a war between the Americans (me) and the Russians where neither side ever made much progress.

Last edited by ike0481; December 19, 2001 at 00:51.
Old December 19, 2001, 03:25   #2
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 13:44
What can I say but...

Well done

I am glad you decided to finish this one.

You are a very good writer, Ike.

BTW, have you ever seen a movie called 'A midnight clear" ?

Your story reminds me alot of that movie, although the movie has more of a 'tragic' ending to it.
Old December 19, 2001, 10:23   #3
himoses
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Very good writing. I expected the Russians to slaughter the Americans in some trick. Makes me want to halt my merciless German war of conquest.....almost.
Old December 19, 2001, 10:30   #4
ike0481
Chieftain

No, i've never seen that movie. Most of the information for this story was taken from a history book and also a lot of it came from what I imagined it would be like in the trenches during christmas. In the actual game I was playing I had a five unit line of musketmen defending a bottleneck on a continent shared with Russia. The AI, to my suprise, was smart enough to build fortresses and fortify his side of the bottleneck. When we went to war, each side charged the other but neigher of us made any progress. It reminded me of the tales of the trenches in WWI.
Old December 19, 2001, 11:51   #5
Padma
Chieftain

Great Christmas story.

The photo at the end was a nice touch.
Old December 19, 2001, 23:44   #6
Teeba
Settler

I don't know if anything can get me in the mood for Christmas after 4 hours at the mall today, but great story nonetheless
Old December 20, 2001, 07:34   #7
lqw
Settler

Local Time: 18:44
Well, I don't know for sure but I think in Russia they celebrate christmas on January 7th (because they historically used the julianic calendar -> roman-orthodoxian church).
Their presents the children get on Dezember 31st, that one is called "jolka". (means christmas tree or fir, if I remember my russian class correctly).
That was just for information, great story nevertheless. Keep up the good work, ike, I liked each of your stories.
Old December 20, 2001, 09:55   #8
ike0481
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by lqw
Well, I don't know for sure but I think in Russia they celebrate christmas on January 7th (because they historically used the julianic calendar -> roman-orthodoxian church).
Their presents the children get on Dezember 31st, that one is called "jolka". (means christmas tree or fir, if I remember my russian class correctly).

I would like to point out that Russia and America were not at war with each other in 1914 and that they do not share a continent in reality. But, this is my CivIII story, and in my world, they were at war, they did share the same continent, and everyone celebreated christmas on December 25th.

Old December 21, 2001, 18:09   #9
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:44
I liked the story and the storytelling. The pic at the end was a very nice touch.
I guess the fact that i too expected a bitter end only makes your ending better!

PS: I love the signature!
Old December 22, 2001, 09:28   #10
Ron11
Settler

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great story, very closely aligned the actual events in the 1914 trenches,

http://history1900s.about.com/librar.../aa122100a.htm

The choral "Silent Night / Stille Nacht" is often quoted as being the catalysis for the two sides to breakdown the distrust on both sides.