Old December 20, 2001, 05:36   #1
PhillipII
Settler

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Domination victory: How??
Hey all im playing a game where i control at least 70% of the land on the map as well as having some of the highest population cities in the game.

I didnt win a Domination victory so i accomplished peace with all other civs, in case that was a prerequisite.

Why havent i won yet?

PS How can you possibly win a Conquest victory without first winning a Domination victory?
Old December 20, 2001, 09:45   #2
Bilo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
For a domination victory you'll need 66% of the world's land mass and population. Usually the population part is not an issue because the AI drains its population via drafting when you are waging large scale wars. You might have the domination victory disabled or not reached the 66% threshold yet.

If you prefer to raze enemy cities, your land area will not increase as you take enemy cities. So a conquest victory is quite possible(in fact I achieved it more than domination).
Old December 20, 2001, 11:37   #3
Dadeo
Settler

Local Time: 18:45
I have had one domination victory. It just popped up on the screen. Most victories come through total conquest. I have had well over 2/3 of the available land mass under my control on the way to total conquest but the domination victory banner does not appear. Maybe it has something to do with being at peace with everyone who is left standing at the time and having over 2/3 of the land.
Old December 20, 2001, 13:21   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:45
Being at peace doesn't come into play : the only time I won by domination, I was at war with the 2 remaining civs.
Perhaps one of your city has expanded through culture.
Old December 20, 2001, 14:33   #5
pchang
King

2/3 of the land
That 2/3 of the land must be inside your cultural boundaries.
After conquering most of the world, I did control most of the land, but a lot of it was not in my cultural boundaries. After russing in temples every where, I had to wait. A few turns later I get all these cultural boundaries are growing messages, and then boom, dominance.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old December 20, 2001, 18:41   #6
Andy
Settler

I won a recent game using domaination victory. I had one continent to myself and was the by far the first to get modern armor and used them to wipe the rest of my competition off the map.

Some possibilities for you. I didn't actually recieve the win until I stopped fighting and built some temples in the areas that I had captured. This allowed my new cities to expand their borders and fill in all of the spaces left by the collapse of culture points for each city. It may not seem like a lot, but the requirement is that you have 66% of the land space WITHIN YOUR BORDERS. Not just control 66% of the cities.

I also seem to remember that you need to beat your nearest competitor by some amount. like double your nearest competor. Or is this just in the cultural victory.

Try expanding your borders to fill in the gaps, that might do it for you.
Old December 20, 2001, 20:51   #7
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 12:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Dadeo
I have had one domination victory. It just popped up on the screen. Most victories come through total conquest. I have had well over 2/3 of the available land mass under my control on the way to total conquest but the domination victory banner does not appear. Maybe it has something to do with being at peace with everyone who is left standing at the time and having over 2/3 of the land.
It has to be 2/3 within your borders, which is harder to determine. I played a game where I lost cities in the final turn but was still ahead of the single remaining civ by more than 2:1. It's strictly land area, with no regard to population or war/peace status.