Old December 20, 2001, 06:42   #1
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah d*mn, I won!
It has happened twice now. My civ is coming along nicely, the world is at peace and suddenly the culture counter hits 100.000 and I win! But I don't want to win, yet.

Is there any way to edit a game so that victory options can be switched of?

Robert
Old December 20, 2001, 07:07   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:46
When you start a game, you can check and uncheck the victory options.

How did you miss this?
Old December 20, 2001, 07:07   #3
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
On the game setup screen where you choose your Civ you can also remove certain victory conditions at the bottom.

Dave
Old December 20, 2001, 07:11   #4
Zealot
King

Uhm, I'm starting to think that extending the limit of a cultural victory should be possible. Like winning by 150.000 cultural points, for example.

I would also like to see a city border expand when it reaches 20.000, 30.000, etc. 100.000 is just too far and impossible to reach. When a city reaches 10.000 CP, it's jsut not worth to build wonders there.
Old December 20, 2001, 07:23   #5
Akka
Prince

Re: Ah d*mn, I won!
Quote:
Originally posted by kailhun
It has happened twice now. My civ is coming along nicely, the world is at peace and suddenly the culture counter hits 100.000 and I win! But I don't want to win, yet.

Is there any way to edit a game so that victory options can be switched of?

Robert
Hu ?
Are you kidding ?

The option to disable victory conditions are right IN THE MIDDLE of the "choose your civ" screen at the start of a game.
Old December 20, 2001, 08:20   #6
kailhun
Warlord

I know about switching off cultural victory at the start of a game. I want to know if it's possible to do this during a game: somehow editing a save game (I assume this contains information on the possible victories).

Diplomatic victory can be 'switched off' during a game by sabotaging the United Nations (editing the rules so that it no longer allows for a diplomatic victory).

Can the ammount neede for a cultural victory be raised? I've looked but can't find an entry for this.

Robert

Last edited by kailhun; December 20, 2001 at 08:37.
Old December 20, 2001, 12:01   #7
Dadeo
Settler

Your die was cast when you failed to uncheck the cultural victory option at the start of the game. Try playing at a more difficult level if you want to make the 100,000 more realistic.
Old December 20, 2001, 13:18   #8
Code Monkey
Chieftain

The limit for cultural victory should be tied to map size. I've never reached 100,000 (and I am one culture emphasising leader) on a standard size map - it must be nigh impossible to win by cultural means on a small or tiny map unless you deliberately set out to win that way and ignore other victory paths. OTOH, since I did get to about 97,000 in a game where I won by domination, I suspect it's probably pretty trivial on a huge map.
Old December 20, 2001, 17:19   #9
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Code Monkey
The limit for cultural victory should be tied to map size. I've never reached 100,000 (and I am one culture emphasising leader) on a standard size map - it must be nigh impossible to win by cultural means on a small or tiny map unless you deliberately set out to win that way and ignore other victory paths. OTOH, since I did get to about 97,000 in a game where I won by domination, I suspect it's probably pretty trivial on a huge map.
It's trivial on a huge map to get even more than 200 000 culture points , but the real challenge IS to get at least twice the culture points than the nearest AI on that matter, and on a huge map that means to be a warmonger and build 400-500+ units in order to weaken a lot a couple of strong AIs, keeping most of the conquered cities and rush-build cult facilities. You have lot of room also to colonize neutral pockets resulting from world wars and opponents eradication, but again in order to survive YOUR future wars, those new cities must be well guarded by lots of defense and offense.
Old December 20, 2001, 17:23   #10
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:46
Re: Ah d*mn, I won!
Quote:
Originally posted by kailhun
Your question was already answered, but I have one of my own. What difficulty were you playing? If it was higher than Warlord, wow, congrats, good win! The tough part isn't the 100k culture, it's the doubling the 2nd best culture in the world that I find impossible. I have yet to get a cultural win, though I hear it's a textbox win like every other win except spaceship so I'm not missing much.
Old December 21, 2001, 18:09   #11
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:46
The alternative is one city with 20k culture. Possible but requires a heavy effort from the start.
Old December 23, 2001, 06:55   #12
kailhun
Warlord

Re: Re: Ah d*mn, I won!
Quote:
Originally posted by Xentropy

If it was higher than Warlord, wow, congrats, good win! The tough part isn't the 100k culture, it's the doubling the 2nd best culture in the world that I find impossible.
Warlord. I'm now playing regent and I see why a cultural victory would be next to impossible here. It almost seems as if another civ always builds your wonder the turn before you finish it.
What is this? A feature?

On a sidenote: bring back caravans!

Quote:
I have yet to get a cultural win, though I hear it's a textbox win like every other win except spaceship so I'm not missing much.
Yup, just a textbox. Quite a letdown actually.
I'd say the lack of triumphal victory animations is the biggest letdown of the game. I mean, you've been working towards this for days (in my case days anyway) and all you get is a little box thingy.

If I had any programming skills, this would be the first thing I'd add. Unfortunately for me, and others I guess, I don't.

Robert

Last edited by kailhun; December 23, 2001 at 08:19.
Old December 23, 2001, 07:06   #13
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
Uhm, I'm starting to think that extending the limit of a cultural victory should be possible. Like winning by 150.000 cultural points, for example.
We'll add it to the "Should be in the Editor" list, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.