Old December 20, 2001, 08:49   #1
ucel
Settler

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Obtaining cities from other civs
There were some features I liked in CTP2. Especially I liked the possibility to negotiate: "give me this city or I declare a war!", so I missed this feature in Civ3. But such possibility exists in Civ3 as well!
I was really suprised when I (more than 20 cities, plenty of cavalry) proposed Americans to sell me a city for 1000 gold and they refused it completly. Then I changed the conditions: I have chosen to renegotiate peace treaty, added this city, about 500 gold from my side and the city was mine!
Quite nice, isn't it?
Old December 20, 2001, 09:53   #2
Bilo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:46
If you don't care about your reputation(when there are 2-3 civs left and you are the strongest, you don't have to) you can get a deal of gold/turn versus cities, declare war the same turn and not pay a dime. This is particularly usefull when the enemy has cities on one tile islands(which are difficult to capture because of the necessity of an amphibious assult).

Last edited by Bilo; December 20, 2001 at 10:01.
Old December 20, 2001, 10:02   #3
ICMB
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:46
You know, I don't renegoitiate standing deals enough. I hadn't considered renegotiating the peace treaty though. I definitely need to give that a shot.

- ICMB
Old December 20, 2001, 17:22   #4
UmberGryphon
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ICMB
You know, I don't renegoitiate standing deals enough.
I must confess that I don't even know how to renegotiate standing deals. Would someone please enlighten me?
Old December 20, 2001, 20:31   #5
Chuckles
King

Go propose a deal but move from New to Active in the bottom right. Any deal that has passed 20 turns you can click on and then re-barter. I use it to get more money for resources after the time limit like the AI always does to me. I did not think of doing it with peace treaties. Thanks.
Old December 20, 2001, 23:15   #6
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Go propose a deal but move from New to Active in the bottom right. Any deal that has passed 20 turns you can click on and then re-barter. I use it to get more money for resources after the time limit like the AI always does to me. I did not think of doing it with peace treaties. Thanks.
Wow. I didn't know we could do that. I never even thought about it.
Old December 21, 2001, 06:16   #7
ucel
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
If you are strong enough you can add peace treaty to your deal and obtain really more gold for your resource.
Old December 21, 2001, 06:24   #8
ucel
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ICMB
You know, I don't renegoitiate standing deals enough. I hadn't considered renegotiating the peace treaty though. I definitely need to give that a shot.

- ICMB
Too baaad!

Consider following deal: They give you Ivory and Steam Power you give them 20 gold/turn (Personally I'm trying to avoid giving gold per turn). After 20 turns they won't renegotiate it and now you're paying 20 gold/purn for their Ivory, althought you coul pay 8 gold instead of it.
Another example: You trade all your iron, leaving you one source for building railroads. But your source of iron suddenly depleted, so you can't build RRs. In this case you have to renegotiate your contract saying sorry, I can't give you this iron no more...