Old December 24, 2001, 16:25   #31
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray

1. Fundamentalism government, plant nuclear weapon and plant disease espionage missions were all removed at the last moment by executive order because of the September 11 attacks
AHHHHH!!!! I was there for the first part, but didn't noticed this with the 11 september answer (curious, I really should have...)
Old December 24, 2001, 16:26   #32
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 18:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A bit casual I have to say with some informative tidbits here and there. Glad to see some work is still going on improving Civ3.

What's worrysome is the "it's out of our hands"-tone that seems to seep through the entire chat.
Old December 24, 2001, 16:56   #33
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 19:48
My favourite quote from Firaxis is 'The latest version we have kills despot pop rushing... '.

I wonder how it was killed? Perhaps simply by making pop-rushed shields subject to corruption?
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old December 24, 2001, 17:14   #34
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
My favourite quote from Firaxis is 'The latest version we have kills despot pop rushing... '.

I wonder how it was killed? Perhaps simply by making pop-rushed shields subject to corruption?
Maybe the unhappiness lasts longer? It's not unbearable anyway, the benefits far outweigh the costs, and if you want to you can go to the trouble you can make temporary cities for pop rushing units while your permanent cities develop normally.
Old December 24, 2001, 17:15   #35
TechWins
King

Local Time: 11:48
I like the fact (I'll go ahead and believe Jeff ) that Soren visits the Strat forum to find how people can exploit the AI, then he goes to try to fix these exploits. However, I don't like the undertone Firaxis has in believing some of the problems a lot of us have with the game (i.e. corruption, late game tedium) are just our problems and are not legit problems with Civ3. Other than that it sounds like Firaxis is hard at work (except for the holidays) trying to bust out a great second patch.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old December 24, 2001, 20:45   #36
David Murray
Prince

I think that the interpretation of Jeff's answer re: fundamentalism was my fault.

I think he was referring to my question about planting nukes and planting diseases being removed at the last minute. Although it was definitely a Jeff B call on removing fundamentalism. And also a Jeff B call on removing the ability to trade units.

Kind of looks like Jeff B made a couple of bad calls.

Oh yeah, and I hope they don't squelch population rushing too hard. That would affect communism as well. Don't see any reason why that element of the game (historically accurate) should be ironed out....
Old December 25, 2001, 03:36   #37
Jodo Kast
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:48
TechWins:

It is your fault. You should change the BIC file to set your settings re: corruption, units, etc.

Just do it and enjoy the game! The hard part is starting over with a new game.....
Old December 25, 2001, 04:39   #38
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:48
Moronic. Sub-moronic.

How do you turn off the Domestic Nag with the BIC file? How do you fix the Air Recon bug with the BIC file? How do you slow down the unreadable messages about pollution, starvation, and growth with the BIC file? How do you force the software to activate the next logical unit with the BIC file? How do you fix the sloggy movement interface with the BIC file? How do you present a decent victory reward, beyond a stupid message box, with the BIC file?

BIC file my ass.
Old January 21, 2002, 14:05   #39
Ozymandous
Prince

Well...
I see you are still up to your old tricks Lib...

To get the last comment back on track and away from the open flames you once again spew, I will say that the editor is there for people to change aspects of the game the way they want.

While the editor isn't complete yet and won't allow the user to change the length of time for pop up messages, etc, you can still do the following things with the editor.

1) You can ADD governments.

2) You can modify unit strengths, hitpoints, defense, etc.

3) You can CHANGE corruption as you see fit. If you don't like corruption as it is now then CHANGE IT TO SUIT YOU. Just because you don't like corruption as it is doesn't mean others are similar to you. I like corruption as it is now and so do other folks, get used to it.

Some things never change. I hope in the 3+ weeks since you last posted your "message" you have grown a little more tolerance and perspective.
Old January 21, 2002, 14:16   #40
Libertarian
King

You failed to answer even a single question. And your points are irrelevant.

Governments are so dumbed down that they are like real governments these days: not a dime's worth of difference among them. Changing unit strengths doesn't rescue the game's overall tedium. And changing corruption is an exercize in futility.

Minimal my ass.

But you're right. Some things never change. You still hurl insults at me. And you still don't spell your username right.
Old January 21, 2002, 16:04   #41
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:48
Quote:
Originally posted by barefootbadass
I don't think having fundamentalism in the game would have been disrespectful to those who died. It's part of the game in the last incarnation and removing it took a lot out of it. Its the single biggest thing missing that I expected to be in the game and I find it ridiculous that it is not.

I don't blame firaxis, it was a decision that was hastily made because infogrames wanted them to get it out unfinished so they could hit the die hard fans with a charge for the game a second time when MP comes out. Hopefully it will be put back in by then.

Until then we'll have to mod some kind of government in its place.
All they had to do was change the name to Military Dictatorship, or some such thing, and no one would have batted an eye. And there really isn't much difference between the two in real life. I can understand dropping the sabotage thing, but losing the government was a bit of an over-reaction IMO.