Old May 3, 2002, 04:03   #31
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 18:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
colonel kraken

you may have problems with ctp2 air units as they are better quality animation to civ 3
Old May 3, 2002, 06:22   #32
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:49
I think the biggest problem will be isolating the unit from the background (I'd use a pure-black tile BTW) and then cutting out every frame of animation. It'll take a while...
Old May 19, 2002, 09:40   #33
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
*bump*

E, are you still around? I think The Big Mac said something about missing some Man-O-War stuff in a different thread, could this be accurate?
Old May 20, 2002, 03:46   #34
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

lacutos the big mac said it in the light thread and they were missing form the 250free site
Old May 20, 2002, 12:06   #35
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yup, but I didn't put those sprites on that site so if they're not there, E didn't put them there
Old May 23, 2002, 07:37   #36
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
Sorry guys, I'm still around. Just busy with homework and quizzes (boring Infantry manuals).

I'll look for the FLCs. Some are reused but I look to see which are missing and try to put them on the site.
Old May 23, 2002, 08:04   #37
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

thanks e
Old August 22, 2002, 10:48   #38
Ekmek
Emperor

i have a fast connection again so i'll post these tonight sorry for the delay.

any luck on converting some files? I've seen some nice new units in civ3 forums.
Old August 22, 2002, 11:42   #39
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I have just discovered to my intense annoyance, that Civ3 units are only about 70-80% the size of CtP units. Its a very time consuming process...
Old August 22, 2002, 12:58   #40
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

But it will be worth it to convert the best of the units, wont it

I have to just add, i think after the expansion for Civ3 comes out (Play the World) i think the large following that Civ3 now has will relativly quickly die out (give it 8 monthis or so) and Ctp2 will live on maybe become stronger as by that time there will be so much more mods and additions to CtP2 that it will be such an amazing game (it will be THE Call to Power 3)

However this is just my theory
Old August 22, 2002, 13:09   #41
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

My last post in this thread was abit off topic so ive made a new thread for it here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=59754

SMIFFGIG
Old August 22, 2002, 13:15   #42
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

worth it if you can find someone who has the time and inclination to do it.
Old August 25, 2002, 19:16   #43
SMIFFGIG
Prince

How would you go about doing it?
Old August 25, 2002, 19:22   #44
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'll write a tutorial tommorrow. I'm tired now.
Old August 26, 2002, 20:28   #45
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Flics -> Sprites in more easy stages than I care to count.

Part one - the FLIC

Start with a Civ3 Unit FLIC, or rather, collection of FLICs. Since all the animation has been done for you, there's no excuses for not using movement, attack and defeat flics. If you like, idle and victory ones, but these are seldom used or observed in CtP2, and aren't worth the effort IMO.

The FLICs you have will almost certainly not be the correct size (which technically is anything with the ratio 4:3, but in reality is almost always 96*72 pixels) - so you have to crop them. For these purposes, the flics are animations just the same as animated GIFs are - FLICster becomes useless, you need an art program. I used Animation Shop (AS), simply because you can get a "free trial" version from the JASC website.

Load Animation Shop, and open a FLIC file. These instructions assume it is a movement FLIC.

Using Animation Shop (and no doubt similar programs work similar ways), the cropping tool is dragged across a single frame, and forms a box. Press the "crop" button, and everything outside the box is deleted, and similarly for all the other frames in the animation, the same area is taken automatically.

NOTE: When doing this, if it is at all possible, count the number of pixels from a horizontal border, and a vertical border your cropping is. This is very useful later on.

The downside of AS is that you cannot find out what size each frame is, without resorting to a little workaround. If you have Paint Shop Pro (which AS is often packaged with) then you can export a frame (right-click on the frame, and select "export frame to Paint Shop Pro"), and go to Image -> Canvas Size.

Otherwise,assuming you have the file saved, go to View -> HTML code - and that will give you the height and width of the image.

Either way, keep cropping and undoing until you have a set of frames 96 by 72 pixels in size, with the unit somewhere towards the middle horizontally, and towards the bottom, vertically. Hopefully you have kept a count of the pixels, because then you can attempt to replicate the exact same x and y position of the unit in the other FLIC files (attack & death, and maybe others).

Now separate out the facings. You only need five. Facing due north, north-east, east, south-east, and south. The sprite maker mirrors the rest for you, and to save space.
To collect all the frames of one facing together, select the first one, hold down shift, and select the last one, then cut then (ctrl-x) and paste them as a new animation (ctrl-v).

Once you have a set of facing frames, select all the frames in the FLIC (click the first, hold down SHIFT, select the last) and go to File -> Save Frames As.

From here on, I will assume you are using the northery facing (facing 1) frames of the movement animation.

Choose your options so you save them as *.tiff files, with long file names and with the Save frame number in file name box ticked. Then set up your standard name to be (assuming you are using the movement animation) - "GUxxMA1.".tif The extra . is important, because now when you save it, the frame number will be saved after it, and create the file name as the sprite creator reads it - GUxxMA1. y.tif

As explained in the sprite creator readme, the naming is important.
  • G is a prefix, it is always there.
  • U stands for units.
  • xx is the sprite number you choose to use in the creation. You can change it later, but must stay consistant for now.
  • M denoted that you are using the movement animation. "I" would be for the Idle animation, "A" for attack, "V" for victory (where victory can also equal "death" - it marks the end of a battle)
  • A - its the animation itself. An S here would be for the associated shadow tiff.
  • 1 - the facing number. 1 is north, 2 north-east etc etc, 5 is south.
  • .y - the point is always there, y is the frame number, starting from either 0 (geeks) or 1 (non-geeks). This method uses 1 as the first frame, because of the quick save thingy in Animation Shop.

Choose a place to save to. If you already have the sprite creator installed (which is advised) - then something like CTPSpriteTool/Units/xx is the place for them. If not, any temporary folder will do, so long as you move them out afterwards.

Open the folder where you saved all the tiffs to, and delete the blank spaces between all the "."s and all the frame numbers. This takes little time once you've practise, and believe me, 500 frames is a lot of practise.

Part Two - the Images

Open all of the tiffs into a Paint Program (I use PSP, again, because you can get the free trial to download, and because Harlan already wrote instructions for using it. Which aren't too accurate, but got me started)

The tiffs as they are are not much good. The shadow is in the same file, and the background is the wrong colour. The first thing to do is to set your foreground colour (left button) to white, and the background colour (right-button) to black. If you are lucky, you may never need to change these colours throughout the rest of the process.

For each frame you do, you must follow this procedure. It is very time consuming, and boring, but once you get the hang of it, you can switch your mind off and day-dream while you go.

Using the magic wand tool, set to a tolerance of about 20-30 (as set under the tool options floating menu), select all the shadow around the base of the unit, and all the pink background along with it. Hold shift while you click to add bits to the selection, hold ctrl to subtract bits.

Copy it (ctrl-c) and paste it as a new image. This should also be 96*72 pixels, unless you have a decidedly odd unit, so this will become the base for the shadow file. Select all the pink, and then using a large brush, paint it all white. Don't worry about going over the shadow - it's outside the selection, so unaffected.

Next, invert the selection (Selection -> Invert, or Ctrl-Shift-I), and paint over all the shadow in pure black.

Once you have done so, keeping just the black selected, go to Selection -> Save to Alpha Channel and click OK. When prompted, click OK again, a name is not necessary.

Then deselect the shadow (Selection -> Select none, or ctrl-D) and save the file. It should be saved using the same format as above, but with an "s" in place of the "a" - "GUxxMS1.0.tif". As you are saving it manually this time, you will need to increase the frame number by one each time, and of course, change the facing number when you move on to different facings.

Back to the main image, with the unit on it, you should have all the background selected still. Using the background colour (right mouse button) colour over all the pink and all the shadow to make it pure black.

Then invert the selection, and check to make sure there are no black pixels in the unit image. If there are, the easiest way to get rid of them without changing your paintbrush colour is to use the Clone Tool to take areas of colour from nearby, and copy them into the black. Right-click in the colour you want, and left click in the black. Do each pixel individually if you are unsure of this technique.

When you are sure there are no black pixels in the unit image, or non-black pixels in the background, again go to Selection -> Save to alpha channel and save the non-black selection into the alpha channel. Resave this file, it should still have the same name as before "GUxxMA1.0.tif"

When you have done a frame, ensure you have saved it, and its shadow, with the correct file names, then close both images within PSP. Load up the next one, and repeat the process. It might be better to keep the finished frames separate from the unfinished ones, lest you get confused, or break half-way through. You can copy them all back into the correct folder afterwards.

Once you have finished a facing, go back to Animation Shop, cut out the next facing, and repeat.

Once you have done all 5 facings, close that FLIC, and move on to the next one.

Its a long process, with each frame made up of 3 animations, made up of five facings, made up of usually a dozen or so frames, each becoming two pictures... but the finished sprite looks top quality.

NB: If you are a real perfectionist, you may wish to resize each FLIC by about 150% before beginning the process, to ensure CtP unit-sizes, but then you may have to sharpen the image, and cutting the black and non-black out may be harder later on. Your choice.
Old August 27, 2002, 16:29   #46
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

any pics
Old August 27, 2002, 19:25   #47
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

do you see any?
Old August 27, 2002, 20:28   #48
Ekmek
Emperor

civ3 bomber

sorry its late
Attached Files:
File Type: zip bomberrun.zip (384.0 KB, 15 views)
Old August 27, 2002, 20:39   #49
Ekmek
Emperor

destroyer graphics.

i'm only adding the run, death, attack graphics since IW said thats all you need
Attached Files:
File Type: zip destroyerrun.zip (364.6 KB, 14 views)
Old August 27, 2002, 20:46   #50
Ekmek
Emperor

rest
Attached Files:
File Type: zip destroyerdeath.zip (278.2 KB, 13 views)
Old August 27, 2002, 20:49   #51
Ekmek
Emperor

cossack
Attached Files:
File Type: zip cossackrun.zip (297.8 KB, 14 views)
Old August 27, 2002, 20:51   #52
SMIFFGIG
Prince

What ever happened to part 1 of this thread ???

P.S. Has there a fundamentalist unit made for civ3 by anyone ?
As if it looked good would be a very worthy conversion for CtP2. Obviously cool for a mod that had Fundamentalism in it

SMIFFGIG

Last edited by SMIFFGIG; September 9, 2002 at 04:57.
Old September 8, 2002, 10:01   #53
SMIFFGIG
Prince

Just imagine the whole of the Civ3 units converted
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old September 9, 2002, 13:41   #54
Ekmek
Emperor

Part 1 is buried pretty deep but it has the same title. not sure ifthe links stil work. A lot of units I added to the website(s) that Locotus created. Civ3 units might still be on there.

It wouldbe nice to have a civ3 version of CTP2 but with CTP2 added units and differents terrains. I'm a crappy SLICer so I can only hope.
Old September 9, 2002, 16:47   #55
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by E
It wouldbe nice to have a civ3 version of CTP2 but with CTP2 added units and differents terrains. I'm a crappy SLICer so I can only hope.
Well, the only way this is ever gonna happen is when all Civ3 units are converted to CtP2 format and no SLIC is needed for that. Someone will simply have to take all these Civ3 graphics you posted and convert them to CtP2 sprites. All that's needed for that is a program like PSP or Photoshop and loads of free time...
Old September 9, 2002, 16:59   #56
Caranorn
Warlord

If someone gets those files out of FLIC format (which crashes my simple graphics programs and is not recognised by my old version of Photoshop), I can try to make them into CTP2 sprites and tga's. I would at least try a few and see how fast I can go. So far I have only worked on 2D sprites (no animations), but as it all works the same it should be no trouble.

I may yet find some software to open the FLIC files, but it's slow going if it goes down every attempt.

And no need to recommend PC programs to do this, I work any graphics on my Mac (actually I run CTP2 on it as well, under emulation).

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: Anyone know how to get at the original CTP and CTP2 tga files (not sure whethere they are stored. The same for CTP and CTP2 sprites (though a way to decompile them would be needed). It might be interesting to do some modifications to original files and thereby create additional sprites tga's.
Old September 9, 2002, 17:01   #57
Locutus
Deity

Caranorn, you need the fanmade tool called FLICster (see the Civ3 section of the Apolyton Directory) to read the Civ3 files. FLICster can convert them to a readable format (bmp, IIRC). I doubt this works on a Mac though (unless you use the emulation here as well, but I'm not sure if/how that would work)...
Old September 9, 2002, 17:05   #58
Locutus
Deity

Oh, and the TGA's of CtP are stored as RIMs in the ZFS files, which you can open and store as ZFS with Martin the Dane's unZFS tool (see CtP2 files section of the Apolyton Directory). Again, this tool is for the PC, not Mac...
Old September 9, 2002, 17:54   #59
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Caranorn, you need the fanmade tool called FLICster (see the Civ3 section of the Apolyton Directory) to read the Civ3 files. FLICster can convert them to a readable format (bmp, IIRC). I doubt this works on a Mac though (unless you use the emulation here as well, but I'm not sure if/how that would work)...
Not entirely true. FLIC is not a special Civ3 format as SPR is for CtP. FLICs are already a type of animation file. It is true that Civ3 uses modified versions of the normal FLIC files, but as these are more or less just headers (and/or) footers, any animation program should be able to open them as animations. As I explained above, I used JASC animation shop.
Old September 9, 2002, 18:12   #60
Caranorn
Warlord

I have downloaded the programs from Apolyton now (obviously had not checked through all the recent files yet) and will take a look at them tommorrow and whether I can use them to get those flic files converted and work from there. But it's likely to be slow work under my PC emulation, if it turns out that way I am likely to drop it again.

And yes, the flc format exists and at least some of my software recognises it, but apparently it doesn't load and freezes my whole system.

The fact that the Civ3 images are smaller then what is required for CTP2 sprites and tgas is also a bad thing. This could get even worse if the images have to be cleaned up. Cleaning up a large image and then downscaling it can be done fast, the reverse is very slow and tedious work. And nothing guarantees that the ensuing sprites and tga's will look good in CTP2.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: Ah for the old days of Macintosh games;-) So much easier to get things going then. On the other hand issues of compatibility between versions of the same game were horible (I remember how my first mod of any kind was some CivII material for both Mac and PC version and half the users still had problems getting it to work). Now I'll just have to wait till I can afford to buy a PC (which will still need to be linked to my Mac as I definitelly can't afford a new set of Photoshop and my Mac is excelent at handling those types of files anyhow).