Old December 22, 2001, 15:56   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Extra Pack Finalization Project (part 6: leader images)
I'm now in contact with some people regarding graphics and hope we can make a good cooperation. To provide a basis for leader graphics, we'd first have to look up images from the net (or scanned?) and post gather them here. I don't know which images will suit best for this purpose, but let's collect in the meanwhile...

I'm sure that we won't find images of many leaders, so we could look for pictures that come close, at least in our imagination.
Old December 22, 2001, 16:01   #2
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Gengis Khan:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gengis.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	8085  
Old December 22, 2001, 16:03   #3
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Atahualpa:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	atahualpa1.gif
Views:	901
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	8086  
Old December 22, 2001, 16:21   #4
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Mahmed II:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mehmedii.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	8087  
Old December 22, 2001, 17:44   #5
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Aww, shouldn't we at least try to keep the same style Firaxis used? At very least, the images should be in color.

I believe someone posted a Turks mod with leader (Suleyman) being edited Caesar. While that might look a bit stupid, Firaxis leaderheads could at least be used as a base. Do we have any good graphicians here?

Also, should we strive to have leaderheads for all eras? Come on, Mao in that fur cap and modern Hammurabi, it doesn't get much better than that
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 22, 2001, 19:22   #6
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I didn't mean to implement the pictures "as they are". You're probably right, it would be great to have the original leaders "reworked". But any graphic guy (darkknight? ) will at least need to know how the historical persons looked...

Last edited by Wernazuma III; December 23, 2001 at 10:10.
Old December 23, 2001, 10:12   #7
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Pacal:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pacal.gif
Views:	836
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	8123  
Old December 23, 2001, 13:53   #8
Depression
Settler

Local Time: 10:50
I can help with making the graphics. I made the (rather-crappy, but it was practice) Napoleon image in the Files forum, and I was working on a Philip II head for Spain when I became aware of the extra-civs project. The powers that be decided that Isabella is the ruler of spain, so this probably won't do you any good; but just for the heck of it, here's a non-animated (I'll finish the animation soon) version of it.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	preview.gif
Views:	821
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	8128  
Old December 23, 2001, 20:23   #9
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Hey Depression (I never welcomed depression in my life so nicely. Every October I've got to say: You again?...)

This seems great to me!
For my part I think we really need you!
I'd even flush Isabella down the toilet now, seeing your Philipp, but she's one of only two female rulers in the ExtraPack, so...
Old December 24, 2001, 06:03   #10
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Philip is cool, but shouldn't it be limited to head-and-shoulders area only, like with regular leaders? Like this:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	phillipsmall.gif
Views:	733
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	8160  
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 24, 2001, 12:48   #11
Depression
Settler

He should, but the leaderhead has to be 200 by 240 pixels, and I couldn't find a big enough picture of him. Besides, the larger it is, the more difficult it is to animate the face.
Old December 24, 2001, 13:12   #12
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, how 'bout this? Yes, it looks a bit grainy, but head-and-shoulders version definitely fits better with rest of the leaderheads.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	phillipbig.gif
Views:	698
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	8179  
Old December 24, 2001, 14:18   #13
Depression
Settler

It's a matter of personal preference- to me, it's more important that it looks good (and is easy to animate ) than that it fits in with the rest of the leaderheads; to you, it might be the other way around. In any case, I'm almost finished with the animation for Philip, and I'm not about to redo the whole thing. The next leaderhead I make might be just head-and-shoulders, but only if I can get a large enough image.
Old December 24, 2001, 15:04   #14
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Wern? Does our esteemed project manager care to comment?
Old December 24, 2001, 17:43   #15
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Stefu: Sure, I'm commenting almost everything, you should know
Of course it would be good to have head and shoulders only. I don't know much about graphics so I believe Depression that he is right: We'd have to supply him with good pics, that's why I started this thread BTW.
Philipp won't be in anyway, as we need Isabella as one of few female rulers.

Give'em good pics and we'll have head/shoulders-only leaders...
Old December 27, 2001, 03:28   #16
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 13:50
Daewang Sejong

is on the W10000 bill at:
http://www.chrealty.co.kr/content/gu...k_currency.htm

a portrait on a throne is at:
www.jaars.org/museum/alphabet/ people/sejong.htm

a statue at:
www.typographie.org/trajan/ hangul/hangul_1.html
www.angelfire.com/hi3/livingworkshop/ korean.html
www.pennfamily.org/KSS-USA/ hist-map5.html
Old December 27, 2001, 16:50   #17
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
...and here's a nice picture of Casimir the Great ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wielki.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	8258  
Old December 27, 2001, 17:30   #18
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ooo, that's a fine picture. Can you edit it a bit to make it 200 x 240, tho?

Also, we absolutely positively need different costumes for all leaders and all ages. That's part of the fun! Ideas, suggestions?

Arabs, ancient: Some kind of beduin costume.
Arabs, medieval: Like in that Mahmed II picture.
Arabs, industrial: ???
Arabs, modern: Oil sheik?

Vikings, ancient: Something like picture representing Chieftain level in Civ1.
Vikings, medieval: Typical Viking outfit.
Vikings, industrial: Uniform?
Vikings, modern: Business suit?
Old December 27, 2001, 19:00   #19
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Stefu: regarding the resize - sure, I'll do it later.
Regarding the "leaders through the ages" - oooh, I found a good post by Martinus on this issue here

Quote:
1. Ancient era - he should be wearing a white linen shirt. We pictured him as someone like Piast, the legendary founder of Poland. Traditional slavic haircut etc.
2. Renaissance - here he should be looking, IMHO, as Jan III Sobieski actually; so either in the chainmail armor or shown in kontusz, the traditional outfit of the Polish nobility of renaissance/baroque.

3. Industrial era - here we had two options. Either make him dressed in some ulan military uniform, or even make him look like one of the Pilsudski's legionnaires (I know the early 20th century is far cry from industrial era, but some of the existing leaders already know like early 20th century guys in this era too).

4. Modern era - here is a funny thing. IMHO he should be wearing a suit with a St. Mary's picture in the lapel (like Walesa ) Like many here, I am not particularly fond of this guy, but I think it would be one of the more recognisable symbols of Poland (especially abroad).
The post regarded Jan III Sobieski, but it generally holds true also for Casimir the Great. The only difference is of course the Renneissance, during which Casimir should be dressed in a way you can see above.
Old December 27, 2001, 20:59   #20
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 18:50
Hi WZ I could help look for heads in my spare time and it looks like you've got a few people doing that already. About the units. I need to know what type of file you need. I'm assuming Civ3 uses still frames not animations for the units. I haven't had much of a chance to look at the files myself but from what I've seen there didn't seem to be any standard unit pic files. I can give you just about all types of still image but proper animation files would be more difficult. The 3D propgram I use can only give targa frames, .avi animation, .jpg animation and Iris and HAMX files the last two I have no experience in using and may not even be animation files. I have an .avi to .mpg converter and I'm sure there's other converters out there.
If you could give me the image sizes and types and a beginning list of the units you want me to do I'll get started working on them ASAP.
I don't have much time so any help in unit descriptions would be great.
Old January 6, 2002, 17:05   #21
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Let me know about the Israeli leaders...
Old January 6, 2002, 17:26   #22
Sirotnikov
Emperor

OK I managed to find pics of david, meaning the staute of david, unfortunately they are mostly not in color and taken from bad angles.

I found a 3D modeled head of david (statute) but it's property of stanford university and done can't download it.
Old January 6, 2002, 17:29   #23
Sirotnikov
Emperor

The images I found RARed if any one can do something about them, like 3D model them...
Attached Files:
File Type: rar david.rar (320.1 KB, 6 views)
Old January 6, 2002, 17:31   #24
Sirotnikov
Emperor

I found another pic.

It's not really david, but we could sell him as one, and it shouldn't be hard to trace the pics for a vector graphics program. I'll try to do it once my fever drops.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	8351  
Old January 8, 2002, 03:39   #25
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

I did some brief scouring of the net and found a few, let's start of with Isabella:

AND

Actually, these images immediately bring the civ2 diplomacy screen to mind, so those'd probably be a good place to start too
Old January 8, 2002, 03:42   #26
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Now here's the statue of Boadicea and her chariot:

And one from the cover of a book called "Boudica: The British Revolt Against Rome" by Graham Webster

Old January 8, 2002, 03:45   #27
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Here's one of Atahualpa (not all that great) from the cover of the book "The Last Inca: Atahualpa" by Ruth E. Norman and Charles Spaegel:

Old January 8, 2002, 03:47   #28
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

And now a quite decent, though unfortunately black and white one of Willem van Oranje:

Old January 8, 2002, 03:51   #29
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

And finally we have Haile Sellassie, though I'm not certain who will be the Ethiopian leader. I found a great page with tons of photos of him, as well as some of Menelik II,

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ethiocrown/

And I couldn't resist this one:

Old January 8, 2002, 18:21   #30
bst1
Settler

Local Time: 12:50
some more pics
Atahualpa
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	atahualpa.jpg