Old December 23, 2001, 16:42   #1
Hippi
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AIs bases
Have you ever wondered why the AI builds ist bases so near each other! It's really annoying when I have to conquer about 10 bases in an iceland where I'd place 3 bases. As their bases cant grow they are left behind me in reserch and I'm planning singularity stuff when they play with their impact artillery!
Old December 23, 2001, 16:53   #2
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
My bases are really close together, and it doesn't affect my strategy/research at all. Since they are closer together, they are better defended. Since it takes forever before they begin to use all their squares, it doesn't affect my strategy.
Honestly, close bases is an effective strategy, frequently used to great effect in MP.
Old December 23, 2001, 18:42   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Re: AIs bases
Quote:
Originally posted by Hippi
As their bases cant grow they are left behind me in reserch and I'm planning singularity stuff when they play with their impact artillery!
What difficulty do you play?

Having many bases is rather cumbersome, because even though you receive the same amount of resources altogether (and can support more with, say, four units free per base - then many bases is useful when at war) but remember that you will get extra drones when you cross a certain limit of base amount, the limit depending on your efficiency rating.
Old December 24, 2001, 04:53   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why the AI builds ist bases so near each other! (...)
Interestingly enough, one of my major complaints about the AI is it doesn't place it's bases close enough, with the exception of Yang.

In any case, more bases = more production, and 'overcrowding' isn't really a problem unless you place bases REALLY close (like 1 base every 4 tiles).

The AI bases cant grow, not because of overcrowding, but because of abysmal terraforming and lack of essential infrastructure (like rec tanks, drone control, tree farm etc).
Old December 27, 2001, 17:20   #5
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
Interestingly enough, one of my major complaints about the AI is it doesn't place it's bases close enough, with the exception of Yang. In any case, more bases = more production, and 'overcrowding' isn't really a problem unless you place bases REALLY close (like 1 base every 4 tiles). . . .
I thought that was more or less the standard for close, Yang-like spacing, not an exaggerated variant .
Old December 28, 2001, 04:29   #6
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, I meant spacing like this:

#B#B
####
#B#B
####

The B's are bases, and there is 1 base for every 4 tiles - literally.