View Poll Results: What should be done to corruption?
Corruption is fine the way it is 9 31.03%
It should be as in civ2 6 20.69%
We need some regional gov centers 8 27.59%
More anti-corruption buildings 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 23, 2001, 16:52   #1
Hippi
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
About corruption
Yes. Everybody knows what I'm talking about. A city on the other side of the globe from your capital is useless unless it has some resources. The former British empire didn't have these problems with Australia, India or Canada. It's not realistic to take 140 years to complete a library.

So what should be done?
Old December 23, 2001, 20:46   #2
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:51
The base corruption mechanic isn't about simulation but about game balance - no civ has lasted more than a fraction of the timeline Civ represents, so I find the realism argument weak. That doesn't mean I agree that you should be as powerless as you are to deal with corruption in the game, however

More buildings should lessen corruption and, if there isn't already, there should be a max cap of corruption after which these buildings should do their thing. It looks almost like the game hits you with the over max cities corruption, then piles the distance from capital corruption on top of that. End result is that Police Station and Court House wind up having no noticeable effect for distant cities. If corruption was set at a finite value that wasn't constantly recalculated then these buildings would actually do something.

One thing I added to my games was to double the cost of Intelligence Agency but give it the same ability as a Forbidden Palace. You can't build it in distant cities without a leader, but it's still a late game way of ameliorating corruption without changing the corruption mechanic overmuch. I figure my spies can keep a little eye on the home front as well as the foreign powers.
Old December 24, 2001, 07:50   #3
Deathray
Warlord

Local Time: 18:51
Well, actually, I have yet to experience this monster corruption. Of course, I tend to only build on my original continent if its a largish one, if not then I will build on islands in its close proximity as well. Still, I have had 50+ cities taking up the whole of the largest continent on a huge, 60% water, continents map and not suffered any major corruption of either kind.
Old December 24, 2001, 08:00   #4
GodSpawn
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
I don't have too many problems with corruption, due to my playing style. But I think it would be a lot worse if I were trying to take over the world!

BTW, we're using the term "corruption" to mean both corruption AND waste, right?

(Corruption=money lost, waste=production lost, so most people's problems come from waste, rather than corruption)
Old December 24, 2001, 08:12   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I guess id better talk about the 2 seperately.

What id like to see is waste with a maximum cap so at least, say 20% of production is guaranteed. They couldnt waste that much.

Corruption (taking money) would be fine as it is, but have more ways you can deal with it. Its either build a courthouse and pol station and increase gold by almost the upkeep level of the 2 buildings, or just get 1 gold from each city thats too far away.
Corruption reducers should be more effective