Old August 2, 2000, 11:20   #1
Civmew2

New Types of Trade
How about a different type of trade to add to the normal? Arms deals, perhaps? With an Arms deal you could switch production in a city to produce weapons, not units. Weapons would then be able to either increase the speed at which a unit that uses that type of weapon is produced, or use it for trade. While in diplomacy, either you or your opponent can ask to swap weapons, or you could sell them to the other civ, bringing in cash. Well what do you think?

------------------
Civmew2, a Civingpsy Pokemon. It plays, comments, and even writes about the civilization games. It is known for extensive AI beating.

Old August 2, 2000, 22:36   #2
Civmew2

Perhaps someone will reply, now that it's at the top...Urg, just had a bad day...

------------------
Civmew2, a Civingpsy Pokemon. It plays, comments, and even writes about the civilization games. It is known for extensive AI beating.

Old August 2, 2000, 22:42   #3
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well now that this thread is at the top

Just kidding Civmew2 I was actually going to respond anyways.

Actually, I find the idea kind of interesting, but I'm not really sure that we should really implement something like that. I have a feeling that if implemented it will simply end up being one of the huge array of options that no one will really use in their games and that will end up simply clogging up proccessing time for the AI Civs.

However, I am always open, so if you can convince that this idea can add something to the gameplay, I'll readily support it.

BTW, I am now posting a new topic called A Trade Model, so check it out and tell me if you want anything added to that.

------------------
Napoleon I
Old August 2, 2000, 22:47   #4
Civmew2

Alright, I'll look into your thread. Also, to try to cinvince people to use the options, maybe if it were emphasized in the Civileopedia, then people may use it. Other than that, I'll have to think. Well, I also had another idea, but it's a bit into the micromanagement area.

------------------

Old August 12, 2000, 02:31   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I dared to suggest an small scale alternative trading system based on the real world black market here, and got mostly negatively reactions. Main complaints were along the lines of:
quote:

Units aren't just a few crates of guns or a couple of tanks. You're talking about enough equipment to equip at least a regiment. That seems to be stretching things a bit, no?

The arms deal suggestion above seems to have similar problem.

However, another type of trading that I've mentioned numerous times before is making uranium trading nesseccary for nukes. It's here again, here, and here.

Other people's also mentioned in varioud places (can't be bother to find anymore links) about coal and oil trading being made neccessary for production of diff things (Japan started losing WWII partly due to the fact it lost the oil fields of South Asia).

For now, that's it from me - I have no idea when next I'll be back... Hopefully when I do come back, there'll not be another suggestion for, gasp!, RTS Civ3.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old August 16, 2000, 06:54   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:26
Why not a trade for "rent" one city production to another city for a defined number of turns on a total number of shields?

Actually we can trade goods or food, why not resources? You can think this as a (simple) model to show the trade of raw material, pre-assembled parts, workforce bodyrent (Dilbert anyone? ) or the whole unit.

The object you build will appear on the receiving city, and (if actual model will be kept) any support and population reduction will apply there.

You can apply this to help producing wonders (inside your civ, of course ).

To avoid tricks, if you switch production type, the resource share treat will be ended (I like to help any underdeveloped nation to build libraries, may be I don't be happy to see my shields turned into a nuclear weapon).

Payment will be due every turn, for same reason.

Using the actual Civ/SMAC queue model, the current building queue of the "helping city" will be similar to any unit building, where the number of required shield equals to the "contract limit", and the voice something like "trading resources to citynamehere".

IMHO this proposal is quite simple to be usable without any mess from any novice player and not totally dumb AI, too

So good I probably already red of it some times ago somewhere, so I'll like to give proper credits to everyone own the copyrights.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old August 16, 2000, 09:07   #7
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Isn't this going in the direction of the Imperialism trade model? Sure, it was great for Imp, but for Civ? Micromangement would go through the roof. Realism vs. Gameplay... *sigh* trade offs.
Old August 16, 2000, 10:23   #8
Adm.Naismith
King

Shadow,
why do you think it will be more micromgmt?

Implementing idea - Example 1

Take the same building queue of SMAC, as for "Capitalization" in Civ II, (not exactly something to build, I hope you agree ). add a "Trade production to...".

When selected you should get another table where you can select from city ready to buy production for building xyz object.

Every city will offer money for shield, chose what you like (and can match) more and you start "building" that. When you finish that "production" your queue will start with the next object.

You can fine tune this model, i.e. limiting building help to cities that are building things you have the tech for, do not allowing to pre-queue more than ten turn agreement (it's not realistic you can make so long term pact). Payment will be per turn and per shield computed and automatically made.

Implementing idea - Example 2
Use the caravan/supply unit as for food supply. Build a caravan (or whatsoever), go to the city you like (chosing from an enhanced trade buy/sell prompt screen) and when your caravan reach the city start to divert production.
This model has the limit to be permanent (no pratical way to link shields to exactly production: you can simply limit them by genre as "for buildings only" so the trade is suspended when the receiving city is building military units).

Implementing idea - Example 3
Use a trade screen, as lot of players already wants, sharing a pool of national resources (or exactly city by city shields number) with a receiving nation (or exact city)

They have more or less the same micromgmt that actual (or already suggested enhancement) game feature, but can add some strategical decisions to the way you support your allies or redistribute your national production.

------------------
Old August 17, 2000, 09:12   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Late thinking:
my proposal must be carefull balanced.

Because diverting shields from common production to capitalization let me gain money, I must have some advantage to sell production to another civ city, while I shouldn't have more advantages to resell production to my own cities than capitalizing it and rush build with the money gained.

I haven't my Civ II on hands to make the math, but I'm sure we can find a good compromise. Isn't that the real core of every trade?

------------------