Old December 27, 2001, 19:05   #1
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Nubian Child
[Writers note: This was originally to appear as a chapter in my story The Dragonfly Conspiracy but I have since come to believe that it did not fit into that story and could instead stand alone]

Tales from the Roma-Byzantine Empire

The Nubian Child

Nero was famous for negotiating the very favorable peace with the Chinese allies in Nubia known now as Zululand. Soon after Livia formed the Western Alliance, the Chinese tricked the Nubians into a military alliance against Rome. What they had failed to point out to the hapless Nubian warlord was that all the western allies owned the land between Nubia and Roma and that in order to cross it, they would likely raise the ire of the Germans and Aztecans. Consequently, the Nubians lost many of their cities in their Han War and never set foot on Roma soil. Sometime in the middle of the Han War offensive, Tiberius asked the patrician Sejanus to raise several legion and horsemen to answer the challenge of warfare that had long ago been delivered by the Nubian chief. The official reason given the court was the expedition would slake our thirst for more contact with other civilizations and perhaps bring us back some prized towns in the process. But the secret reason was so disturbing that it would have shook Rome to its foundations.

Several years ago, while Augustus was still the ruler, we received a message from the Chief Panther Warrior of the Aztec Empire, who insisted his name translated in Roman was “Rubberman.” We have no idea what this "rubber" is and why he chose this odd moniker.

The Aztec ruler requested Roma's presence in one of the mountain towns where a very popular Aztec mystic made his home. The wise men were very suspicious and suspected the Aztec would ambush the Caesar and declare themselves rulers of Rome. While Augustus found this theory somewhat unbelievable considering the mountains were lightly defended and even more lightly populated, he was getting old and did not think he could make the arduous journey. As usual, Augustus sought a wise decision. At the time, his adopted son, the warlike and crabby Tiberius was agitating Roman society by speaking out against the slow pace of Augustus’s campaign in the East. Augustus could either send this reckless, inexperienced boy east where he would demand Generalship of all the Armies or he could suffer the fool’s seditious remarks at home. Now another option presented itself.

At one point, Augustus even considered poisoning the chap but he knew that if his mother ever caught wind of such a plot there would be holy hell to pay. So, Augustus summoned Tiberius to his quarters and ordered him to the town of Tlatilco where he was to act as Rome’s ambassador to Rubberman and his so-called mystic. He also sent Sejanus, then the commander of Rome’s defense force, with Tiberius along with a company of pikemen.

Many months later, Tiberius returned with the following report. “We met who we believe was Rubberman at the entrance to the mountain town of Tlatilco. While Rubberman stood only one and a half meters tall, his snakeskin headdress made him nearly two meters in height. He was covered from head to foot in a black fur. We were freezing at this point in our tunics and were very grateful when he offered us a similar suit of fur. We were especially interested in bottom half of the suit that Sejanus called “pants” since had we worn them in the Roman heat, one would surely pant like a dog.

“To call Tlatilco a town would have been generous. It consists of a few huts built on mountain ledges surrounding a great cave. With the exception of Rubberman and his sons, the town itself was totally empty. Although we had traveled for several years and had expected a great feast upon arrival, Rubberman silently led us to the mouth of the cave, handed us torches and gestured we enter. Augustus, my lord, at my mature age of 23 I have seen many interesting things I was quite unprepared for the sight that followed. For, after traveling for hours through winding dark red corridors, we finally came to a great cavern where we were astounded to see a flat-topped pyramid, perhaps 60 meters high. On the top of this structure, we saw a figure surrounded by burning torches who was holding up some sort of wet spongey object that dripped over the table.”

“From the shadows behind us, I heard a familiar voice, ``Welcome, buh-buh-brother T-t-t-tiberius.’’ I turned around to see young Claudius, that long-lost ransomed child from one of our hapless family. He looked much as he did as a boy but now at least a half meter taller than when he had left Rome several years ago. I asked him what this was all about and he told me that Rubberman had captured a band of Chinese warriors. “What you are looking at,” Claudius said pointing upward, “is the last of them.” I was puzzled at that and asked if he meant the person holding the sponge in the air was a Chinese warrior and he said, “no brother, the last warrior is the sponge or r-r-r-rather I should say, the sponge was his, er, heart.” Sejanus reached for his sword as I did mine remembering the warnings of a trap and looking anew at my cousin suspiciously.

“``Oh, do not worry, brother. Rubberman intends you no harm. He has invited us here to hear the priest’s pruh-pruh-pruh-pruh.’’ At this point I became agitated. ``Spit it out, you oaf!’’, I yelled. This only made matters worse as Claudius stuttered on for at least a full two minutes until Rubberman laid a hand on his chest. “Fortunetelling!”, he finally exclaimed. ``Like the Oracle of Thebes.’’ Ah, I thought, their holy man wishes to tell our future. What foolishness, I thought and I swore loudly, ``No booty, no women, not even a glass of wine?’’ Claudius said, ``Oh no, brother, they have prepare a great feast. Follow us.” And with that Claudius and Rubberman entered a door in the foot of the pyramid. AS I approached the pyramid, I noticed all sorts of odd lumpy packages and what looked like wasp nests strewn on the steps of the great structure.

“Inside, there was a lavish buffet set out. What looked to be a large cow leg and several smallish dishes festooned with rice, chiles and a tomato sauce which I found was much like our wonderful marina, only hotter and spicier. Rubberman went to the head of the table and pulled the chair out and offered me the place and then went to the other end facing me. Claudius and Sejanus sat down on my right and then a wizened figure wearing a black mask shuffled in led as if a blind man by two very impressive Panther Warriors. I had heard rumors that these warriors were able to attack and retreat, attack and retreat until the enemy was so exhausted and terrified they just would lay down the arms and run into the brush. For your eyes only Cesear, I can attest that these were very fearsome warriors.

I realized why the odd shaman needed to be guided as the mask had no eyeholes and appeared to be very heavy. It made his head look twice the size it probably was and he sat at the table, eating nothing, during the entire meal.

Although the meal smelled delicious, Claudius turned to me and said, ``take only a little and you will not insult them.’’ I asked him what he was talking about and he said, it was not just the heart of their enemies the Aztecan relish. I realized with horror that I was facing not leg of steer but leg of warrior! The other dishes upon closer inspection appeared to be filet of hand. ``Tiberius! Get a hold of yourself,’’ counseled young Claudius. ``Remember the saying, `when in Rome, do as the Romans do’?’’ I steeled myself to take a small slice of the leg and wolfed down the rice and rather interesting concoction which Claudius called “beer." Claudius noted that it had been made from Roman wheat and rye. After many more of these “beers”, I felt much more relaxed and even started to consider the filet dishes.

But at this point, the masked priest got up and walked backwards into a dark part of the room. As Rubberman lit the torches, I saw that I was actually inside a large theater and all around us were the citizens of the local town peering down with great curiousity. Rubberman motioned to two throne like seats and bade me to sit next to him. The priest, now up on a stage, bowed to the audience and started intoning something in their language. Suddenly, a bright light appeared over the stage. I know not how they created this spectacle but I was blinded for several seconds and instinctively reached again for my dagger. When my eyes adjusted, there on the stage was screaming new-born baby. I glanced at Claudius, who motioned with his head to watch and I turned back to the stage. I feared that this priest would repeat his horrible ritual on the baby, I thought whether I should protest for one can only take so much barbarism in one day.

Instead the priest lifted the baby up in much the same way he had been lifting up the Han warrior heart upon our arrival. There he held it for several minutes and returned it to its crib. He then made an expansive gesture and pointed towards me. At this point, the two warriors, one festooned in a headdress of a tigers head adorned by elephant tusks and the other wearing a skull of a large lizard like creature rushed each other from either side of the stage. They pantomimed a great battle and in the end the tiger head was left standing in the dark with one torch. Then another torch lit and the warrior who had been wearing the strange lizard head arose but this time he had a panther head. Both of them turned and picked the baby up and placed it on a throne and then left the stage together.

At this point, Rubberman got up, looked me in the eye and actually, I swear to Apollo, smiled at me and left the theater. I looked up again and I noticed that the audience that must have measured a thousand had all mysteriously disappeared. Claudius then appeared by my side with Sejanus and said he would lead me out. As we walked down the mountain, he explained to me his interpretation which was quite simple: The Aztec mythology apparently states that a great event in the western sky (the light) would augur the rise of a great leader and after Rome vanquished its enemy (``pruh-pruh-probably China’’), a great fellowship would arise between the Aztecs and the Romans and they would both serve the king together.

When the Legions finally arrived in Ulundi, they were reluctant to attack the city for they saw great signs in the sky as a star shining down on the town and strange lights ripped through the dry desert air. In Rome, they saw the star but it was interpreted by many as a sign from Apollo that the war was going well. When the Romans crept up to investigate, they came across sheepherders who spoke of the birth of the Son of God. The holy men in the legion wanted the sheepherders dispatched for their heresy but Sejanus instead disguised himself as a lowly sheepherder and along with several tribunes crept into the city. While this was certainly a ploy to gain intelligence about the Ulundi defenses, he was also curious about this baby. When he came back, his eyes had taken on a strange cast and he announced that Rome will not attack Ulundi but instead wait outside to battle whomever the Nubians would send.

Later, after he had been rotated out of the Nubian theater of war, Sejanus recounted the story of the baby to Claudius. He spoke of an unworldly light that surrounded the babe’s head and the lowly circumstances of his birth in a small hut in the poorer side of town. The parents were apparently from an impoverished city north of Ulundi and but had left as refugees when the Germans cleansed the city of all non-Germans. When Sejanus approached the baby, lying in a cow’s feeding trough, he felt great joy and said he heard choruses of blissful voices coming from the star above. He admitted to Claudius that he was afraid that if they attacked, they might accidentally hurt this wondrous child and that he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to helping the poor and indigent.

During their long siege at Ulundi, many Nubian archers came out of Ulundi’s gates and the Roman legions enjoyed practicing their skills as they dispatched them to whatever God they now worshipped. In times of boredom they would tear up mines or destroy the irrigation systems in the farm lands just out of boredom.

One day, during Nero’s reign, the great Nubian chieftain himself strode out of the city gates to negotiate peace. The imposing Impi guard surrounded him. He said that he would give the Romans great treasures and provide them an audience with the young boy that Sejanus had spoke with great awe.

But Nero was not interested in boys and instead relayed that he desired three thousands Nubian slaves, preferably all female. Sejanus was quite disturbed by this setback for he wanted to speak with the young boy very much. But he obeyed Nero.

While the Nubian did not find it an odd request, it certainly set tongues wagging for years especially after Nero put several dozen of the Nubian slaves in his second palace, now known as the Senate’s bordello. Sejanus also loaded up the legion’s mules with his remaining valuables and as they left with the slaves and gold in tow, the legatus was pleased to look back and see the great Shaka wiping his brow in relief.

The Nubian slaves, though, infested the empire with the stories of the miracles of the Christ child and subsequently his actions in Nubia following Germany’s dominance of that area were watched with great interest by the Romans. Many argued that the followers of the Christ were preaching ideas dangerous to the Roman pagan beliefs and asked that the Emporers rid the Roman cities of the Nubian influence.

Others argued the Christian message of peace and love was merely a Nubian trick to try to regain their cities by enticing the Germans to forsake their Aryan Cult religion. Finally, word arrived that the Germans had colluded with the sect of Nubians from which the Christ had arisen to put him to death in a most horrific and brutal fashion.

The German leader at the time, Arminius, tired of the rebellions instigated by this iternant Chris preacher, arrested the Nubian Christ and had him brought to Berlin. With his henchman holding the Christ’s head, he ripped the tongue out of his mouth and sewed it back together, screaming, “Now, snake, your hissing is finished!” With that, he took a heavy wooden cross and tied the Christ to it and placed him in the river daring anyone to take him down. That night, a great storm besieged Berlin and the faithful weeping by the shore were swept away. The next day, Arminius was enraged to see a now empty cross with just a white cloth waving on it. For years stories persisted of sightings of the Nubian Christ. Even the French had heard stories and claimed he visited their land. Rome was shocked to hear that their great ally Arminus, on his deathbed, had converted to this new cult of Christianity and repented his horrific deeds.

Rome had also found the Christians destabilizing and finally in the latter part of the century now known as the first, they went on periodic binges arresting and putting to death the wayward Christians.

The Christians persisted and Rome eventually acceded to the one true faith when Emperor Theodosius Caesar proclaimed Christianity the one true faith and offered sanctuary for the church leadership in Rome itself. This was seen as a wise move at the time, for the Pope of the Catholic Church became a powerful global influence that Rome felt it could control and use to its benefit in trade.
Old July 12, 2003, 23:00   #2
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Vanity bump...
Old July 13, 2003, 05:43   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 19:55
Not seen this before, its very well written and would have been nice to develop into a longer story. Or perhaps you intend to continue this anyhow, either way
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 13, 2003, 07:53   #4
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Chrisius,

It was written as a lark during the Christmas season - as you can tell it was meant to be another telling of "the greatest story ever told" in the confines of a Civ-3-universe.

You're right - the ending is kind of abrupt - I ran out of steam, I guess. Still, there was some neat elements. The idea of Rubberman came from the Aztecs building these sh*tty little towns in the mostly useless mountains behind my empire. And the Zulus did get tricked into declaring war on me and rather than expend resources directly attacking their last city, I just sat outside. I also stole a few characters from Robert Graves' "I, Claudius"...

It was kind of neat that the time frame for all this was around 0 BC-30AD as well.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Sam