Old January 5, 2002, 13:04   #1
Blitzer
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
One City Win - possible
The other day I started in such a poor position on a small island with two other civs that I decided to attempt a win with only one city. I was lucky enough to get two gold tiles and one grape within my city radius. With the Aztecs and Persians so close, I believe this was the only route to victory on this map, without reload combat which I loathe.

I played as the Babalonians on Monarch.

My builds were as follows

Warrior
Worker
Spearman
Granary
Spearman
Temple (2800 bc)
Oracle (1400 bc)
Great Library (490 bc) - Triggers Golden Age
Library (430 bc)

Switch to Republic, shift to middle ages

Hanging Gardens (500)
Aqueduct (rushed)
Cathedral (rushed) (560)
Sistene Chapel (890)
Colosseum (990)
University (1080)
Copernicus's Observatory (1300)
Bank
Newton's University (1450)

Switch to Democracy, Enter Industrial Age

Shakespere's Theater (Failed)
Marketplace
Hospital
Factory
Coal Plant
Universal Suffrage (failed)
Intelligence Agency (1770)
Wealth, lots of it

Enter Modern Ages

United Nations (failed)
SETI Program (1956)
Research Lab (1958)

Reached 20000 culture in 1973 (the year I was born lol)

It was a pretty boring game to be honest, but once I got started I wanted to see it through. Had no way to get iron for the longest time, was able to trade for some long enough to get my factory started, but my "friends" cancelled the right of passage I needed, and since I wasn't planning on playing this way I didn't think to build on a shore square. I was able to keep up in tech by shooting straight for the wonders I wanted and building the three research wonders. Lots of trading and careful diplomacy kept me out of trouble. Never had to fire a shot the whole game.

Final score was 597., attatching savegame if anyone cares.
Old January 7, 2002, 02:29   #2
photar74
Settler

Local Time: 18:57
Although the threads seem to have died, Deity OCC has been achieved. I personally have done it through conquest in 590 BC. Actually, its rather easy:

1. Use a tiny map with an arid and cold climate, 3 billions years, 60% pangea.
2. Take the Persians and make sure none of the computers are Greeks (Hoplites are a problem).
3. Next, go straight for iron working. (Note: if there is no iron in your starting location, quit and repeat the first three steps until there is iron in your starting location. It also might help to have access to the ocean in your starting location, though that may not matter.)
4. Finally, Zealot rush--I mean Immortal rush--the world into oblivion.

Its a lock, and it only takes about an hour or two. Actually, by this method, its easier to conquer the world in OCC than if you weren't razing every city you captured. No pesky revolutions that result in lost forces, no difficulty healing your units, no need to waste units as defenders anywhere outside the capital. Your forces only serve to destroy, heal and move on to the next target.

Even if you do not have access to the sea, this method will surely result in a victory by some method other than conquest, though it will take more than two hours. The AI will be so wrecked early on that it can never make a full comeback.

This strategy is so base that it is really against the principles of Civ 3, but I simply don't have the time to engage in the wrist-slitting affairs of Civ 2 past. I may never recover from that 2,395%, 6-month for two-hours a day abomination of two years ago. My stomach churns just thinking about it.
Old January 7, 2002, 03:44   #3
Blitzer
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:57
One City Win - possible
I wasn't aware that people went out of their way to accomplish it. However, anyone can beat deity if they set the game up perfectly for it, ie: no greeks, tiny maps. This was just a game that happened to go this way and I decided to share.

Tiny maps don't count... and I wasn't out to prove anything.
Old January 7, 2002, 04:09   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
I agree, tiny and small pangaea maps really aren't true "deity" games if played militarily, its just too easy. The only real advantage the AI gets at deity is its ability to expand, and when that's negated, it might as well be a cheiftain game. Granted you will have to kill a few more units, and take a few more towns, but the AI fights the same no matter what the difficulty level, and is terribly predictable at it. The fact that you have to restart multiple times to get Iron cheapens this way of winning even further. I can go into the editor and set up a map where a 3950BC conquest is possible on Deity, but that doesnt mean anything.
Old January 7, 2002, 15:57   #5
photar74
Settler

Its a cheap method, but come on, give me some credit, its not as cheap as editing the map. I start on a random, unexplored map. That is a lot less cheap than using the editor.

Besides, what is up with "cheapness" arguments anyway? Since when is following the rules of a video game cheap? What sort of perverted world are we living in when there are honor codes for video games? When I posted these victories two months ago on the OCC threads, no one called them "cheap."

Would a small board with the Greeks, 60% pangea, tiny and arid, 3 billion years be "cheap"? I've done that too, it just takes longer. Maybe I should simply ask what is and is not cheap before I play again, so I know whether or not I am violating Civ law.
Old January 7, 2002, 20:31   #6
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Well, not that its cheap, just unimpressive. Now an OCC on diety on a HUGE map, that would be more impressive. I should try that once I get a regular game on diety down.

Yanni
Old January 8, 2002, 00:17   #7
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my usage of the term "cheap". I didn't mean to imply cheating or exploitation, all I meant by it is that using those settings it is relatively easy to win on Deity. The point of Deity is that it should be hard to beat, and it is on most settings. You said yourself "This strategy is so base that it is really against the principles of Civ 3", and I was just agreeing. As far as my analogy of using the editor, I didn't mean it as a literal comparison, just a polarized example of the principle involved.